It's so damn confusing - WDTV or AC RYAN POHD? :(

Can the WDTV V2 Play these files ? ----
First - Entourage Season 4
Second - 300 Movie @ 720p

These files are childs play for todays Media Players. There was no need to quote the whole bunch of settings......The bit rate and reference frame are the only two important aspects to judge.

The bit rate is just 2.2Mbps for these files............ Most of the media players of today can play as high as 15mbps.............

Well not sure about MX, but HDMI cables does make a difference.......even for the same value. bandridge is a well known brand isnt it, I got one from bandridge, within few weeks for usage, the display was gone why coz the connection at the AVR end became loose, for what ever reason, may the cable was fake I dont know. Then I got a panasonic HDMI for 2000/- and boy not only the firm connection....... I could easily make out the better picture quality than the "fake" bandridge was giving. I tossed the same cable right into the garbage box the very same day.......:)
Not sure about Bandridge as I've never used them. This might be an issue of bad connectors but what I think is that a decent quality HDMI cable and a super costly one doesn't have any visible difference. But used MX and even some other not so costly cables from ebay. Very very satisfied with the results and they are working perfectly for some time.

These files are childs play for todays Media Players. There was no need to quote the whole bunch of settings......The bit rate and reference frame are the only two important aspects to judge.

The bit rate is just 2.2Mbps for these files............ Most of the media players of today can play as high as 15mbps.............

Oh! Thank you :)

BTW, Can anyone give me give me a contact no. or a link or something who's selling WDTV V2 for less than 6k .... Been searching since a week , can't get hold of anyone..
PM'ed KMD , waiting for his quote.

Thanks !

Read through the entire thread and the very helpful post by Sivakaran.
That post helped me eliminate my choices and I have finalised with the PlayON HD.

I will be getting it from the USA, so I can't make sue of the warranty here in India, but I am ok to go with it.

Waiting for the delivery now. :)

Hi
I have a WDTV live but i have only one complaint.
It does not play AAC 5.1 or passthrough it.

AAC 5.1 has to be converted to DD to play the audio.
It only plays AAC upto 2 channels

Does the playone Play AAC 5.1?

Can anybody confirm this?

Read through the entire thread and the very helpful post by Sivakaran.
That post helped me eliminate my choices and I have finalised with the PlayON HD.

I will be getting it from the USA, so I can't make sue of the warranty here in India, but I am ok to go with it.

Waiting for the delivery now. :)

where did u buy it from
how much did it cost you. what are the shipping and customs charges
overall how much damage? any hdd with it or just the player

@ denzong
Bought it from USA, thru Amazon, 145 USD, shipped to friend's place in USA. No custom, he'll bring it along.
Just the player, no HDD,
with Free Wifi Dongle and Free HDMI cable (heard the HDMI cable with POHD is too good).

Hi
I have a WDTV live but i have only one complaint.
It does not play AAC 5.1 or passthrough it.

AAC 5.1 has to be converted to DD to play the audio.
It only plays AAC upto 2 channels

Does the playone Play AAC 5.1?

Can anybody confirm this?

POHD Plays AAC 5.1 just fine .... no issues .... :)

If anyone want to update his rig with AVR playing High defination sound ( DTS HD-MA and Dolby True HD ) POHD or WD players of no use

@ hemant, could you please explain in detail what you mentioned above? Does it mean the POHD/ WD don't support DTS HD-MA or Dolby True HD? I guess they should ideally at least passthrough it to the AVR and that could do the decoding.

WD AFAIK know - Not -Read on the foru
POHD - Doubtful they were not mentioning on site ( do not know latest situation) but in my last survey , no concrete proof was given

Go for Xtreamer Sidewinder

will play anything thrown at it and will pass thro all HD audio (tried and tested by many members here) ,updating firmware is no issues,and if planning to get from US via amazon / hand carry its well within budget aprox 130/140$

WD AFAIK know - Not -Read on the foru
POHD - Doubtful they were not mentioning on site ( do not know latest situation) but in my last survey , no concrete proof was given

If anyone want to update his rig with AVR playing High defination sound ( DTS HD-MA and Dolby True HD ) POHD or WD players of no use

Whats that suppose to mean ...????:confused:

Go for Xtreamer Sidewinder

will play anything thrown at it and will pass thro all HD audio (tried and tested by many members here) ,updating firmware is no issues,and if planning to get from US via amazon / hand carry its well within budget aprox 130/140$

Any idea if Sidewinder plays Bluray ISO with full menu support ... ??

Any idea if Sidewinder plays Bluray ISO with full menu support ... ??

Am using it to play direct M2TS format as is in the BD's with only main movie in the file ,so do not know if it supports menu play , i doubt it will.

Regarding HD audio pass thro ,it does well ,but minor issues with newer BD files ,which can be taken care off

Last edited:
AC Ryan Prices are down -

PlayOn HD 7800Rs
PlayOn HD Mini 6500Rs
Wifi Dongle 1000Rs
(All inclusive of taxes)

The offer is valid till 31st March (new models are being launched HD2, Mini 2).

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back