Jamo S-426 Towers?

@Blasto/@jaudere, out of curiosity, any recommendation for a BS + SW that'll give me the performance of the C405's for the price of the 405's?

Do this simple experiment..
Go to the Jamo store and show interest of buying a sub and ask them to connect it to the C405s and hear the same music.

If you like the sound/find a difference, go ahead in the sub path.. If not stick to bookshelves/floorstands..

Personally, Iam an enemy of having any kind of sub in the stereo setup. They distort sound in this price range. They are meant for movies in 5.1 setup to recreate non-music sounds like a bomb blast..

Last edited:
Bose giving specifications? Now that is a news for me. That is one point why i wont like bose. They wont give you details even if you ask. They will ask you room size and will recommend a model. Thats odd but as long as sound is good and adequate,one should not complain

My kit will eventually end up being a 5.1 kit, thus the Denon AVR 1612, instead of a Stereo Amp. The decision to go down the 2.1 route initially is only cause I want to get the best BS's and the best Sub that my money can buy instead of a kit setup that may or may not deliver the kind of performance I am looking for.

The BS's that I intend to get or the FS's that we've been discussing (405's) will eventually be kitted with a pair of satellites at the back and a center to complete the 5.1 as and when money is in abundance.

Any feedback on the Bose 301 BS?

Bose giving specifications? Now that is a news for me. That is one point why i wont like bose. They wont give you details even if you ask. They will ask you room size and will recommend a model. Thats odd but as long as sound is good and adequate,one should not complain

You're absolutely spot on with your observation. I just called the Toll-free number and had a chat with them about the same thing. I insisted that they told me what the output wattage of their speakers would be if i was driving them with 6 Ohms from my Denon 1612.

They kept saying, and I quote, "our speakers function optimally when driven at 4 Ohms, you will get a performance of 150 Watts" no matter how many times i persisted on actual specifics. This when we were refering to the to the AM6/5. I am going to the Mega Mall store right now to check them out if the rain eases off a little and will keep you guys posted on what I think of them.

I am going to the Mega Mall store right now to check them out if the rain eases off a little and will keep you guys posted on what I think of them.

Let me guess..

You will see uneven rooms with no corners.. Absolutely no rectangular rooms..
If you knock the side walls, you will hear hollow air inside..
The floor will be carpeted to the core..
The Ceiling will be as uneven as possible..
A pretty female will distract you like there is no tomorrow..
The space will LOOK big but is actually 10*10..
The speaker will sound awesome and you will pick out the check book..

In a rectangular room with no treatements with denon receiver, you will wonder what went wrong..

Edit: Only time will tell that they had 15L rupee treated room and a 10k worth of speakers which sounded like 1L rupee speakers in a normal room.

Last edited:
Let me guess..

You will see uneven rooms with no corners.. Absolutely no rectangular rooms..
If you knock the side walls, you will hear hollow air inside..
The floor will be carpeted to the core..
The Ceiling will be as uneven as possible..
A pretty female will distract you like there is no tomorrow..
The space will LOOK big but is actually 10*10..
The speaker will sound awesome and you will pick out the check book..

In a rectangular room with no treatements with denon receiver, you will wonder what went wrong..

You didnt mention about how it will sound if that 'pretty female' is there in the rectangular room!:D

Haha so naive.
I didn't go bro. The rains got the better of me.
Yet to audition the Wharfe's and the other bs's.

For now, I have a spanking new amp with nothing to connect it to!

Alright guys
Have some updates for those that were following this thread.

-------------------
One request to the mods - Change the title to "2 Channel speaker kit / 5.1 Kit" cause thats what this thread turned into from the Jamo 426's being disqualified right in the beginning.
-------------------

Anyways, so moving forward. Yesterday was a marathon of a day. I took off from work an hour earlier than I normally do and landed up at Designer Audio and met up with Kshijit. I got to be honest, first impressions go a long way and their demo suite was by far the most kitted demo suite I have been to thus far. Fantastic freaking wood all over the place with some incredibly old school looking Quad amps and speakers strewn around.

My main intention of visiting the store was to audition the DX-1, the 9.1 and the 10.1's which are all on the Group Buy section here. Unfortunately, the 10.1's got sold out and thankfully I didnt prefer them too much. Anyways, more on that after my run through. At first, my gf and I sat down and listened to the DX-1 as that was the prime reason we ended up at the store in the first place. The audio from the DX-1 was formidable, although it was to neither of our likings. We immediately concluded that although 5.1 was what we eventually hoped to build up to, our decision soon tilted towards a stereo kit or a 2.1 kit to start off with. So we asked him to switch over to the 10.1's which were hung up on the wall in front of us.

The 10.2's although massive sounding were a little too shrill for our liking. On further investigation, we found out that the only difference between the 9.1's and the 10.1's are cosmetic changes and internal components that have been upgraded. Barring this, they sound pretty much the same, except for a different setup for the tweeter which is sharper on the 10.1's compared to the 9.1's. Some people like this sharper sound, but I preffered the flatter sound from the 9.1.

Post listening to the 10.1's, I asked him to hook up the MIGHTY QUAD 11L's. Unfortunately he didnt have a passive kit for us to listen to, so he rigged up the 22L. I got to tell you, what a world of a difference right up front. Incredible sound for a pretty decent price. What amazed both my gf and I was how the speakers disappeared and we could hear a soundstage created right in front of us. I loved the way the speaker would fill the audio in the center even without having any additional speaker to drive it. Incredible to say the least. We listened to these babies the most.

After doing this, things got interesting. I asked if he had a 9.1 in the store and luckily enough he did. He brought out a pair of fresh 9.1's and they werent massaged into their sweet spots yet. None the less, we heard them and immediately identified the flatter tweeter sound when compared to the 10.1's. I was mighty impressed with the build quality and the sound these speakers produced. We were still tending towards the Quads though only cause how awesome they sounded.

What we did next might be considered "blasphemous" by many on this forum, but we wanted to do a blind test between the WD and the Quads. So I asked him to connect up both the kits to the same amp (Maranatz) on Speaker A and B and I asked him not to tell us which is which. We even went to the extent of ensuring that both the speakers were placed next to one another. We kept switching between A and B many times over one track and both my gf and I ensured that we shut our eyes and didnt cheat. Almost mid way through this test, we soon realized how similar both of them sounded, probably cause our ears had gotten used to listening to both of them and couldnt discern the difference. Honestly though, there was a difference and it was clear that there existed one. Towards the end, it was clear that both of us preffered one over the other.

I asked my gf which one she preffered and she picked A
I picked B.

She picked the Quads and I picked the WD's. She probably has better hearing that I do cause to me the Wharfs sounded a lot fuller and I guess I couldnt tell them apart. Honestly though, she admitted to the same problem. Which meant that its so subjective, it could be anything. Which basically reinstates what I said earlier on this thread. If i had nothing to compare the Wharf's against (like the Quads in this case), i would probably think they are GREAT SPEAKERS. And that they are. It was then a decision of if the extensive price difference between the 9.1's and the Quads 11L's was worth it. There's something fascinating about the Quads that I couldnt put my finger on, but considering I failed the blind test towards Wharfs having earlier said i prefered the Quads, I had to admit defeat.

We also did a quick test pairing the Quads and the Wharfs with the new WD Sealed subwoofer SPC-10. Some pretty neat sounding sub frequencies going all the way down to 30dB, but we obviously couldnt hear squat. We had to turn it up to about 40-50 to actually get a good feel of it. Nice sub for its price and really nice ergonomics allowing for easy access to level and frequencies right up.

BOTH THESE KITS WOULD EASILY FILL OUT MY ROOM AND MAKE ME VERY HAPPY. Yet since i stepped out with the sole objective of finishing all my demos in one day, i excused myself after drooling a little more over some vintage 1950 Quad amps and headed down to the Bose Store.

BOSE - hahahaha. Heard the 301's and the AM5. Left the store in 5 mins.
Our ears were spoilt for choice by the awesome Quads and Wharfs. The Bose was no where in contention and honestly, I dont know what was wrong, but both of us didnt prefer them AT ALL. (Blasto, that goes to show two things about Bose. (1) They dont have pretty chicks. (2) Their demos arent nearly as polished as they need to be to impress me)

Then we stepped into listening to the Energy CB10's and the PQ10/RQ10
We liked what we heard, but our hearts lingered for the Quads (and or the Wharfs)

After much deliberation, we have now concluded that we'd either go for the Quads or the 9.1's with a sealed SPC-10 (only cause it would cost pretty much the same and give us some incredible bass frequencies when compared to the Quads alone)

So what say guys?
1. Wharfe 9.1's + SPC-10's to start off with and then add some back + centers
2. Quads 11L's

huh huh huh??
Also, is there like a world of a difference between the Quads / Wharfe's and the Paradigm Monitors? Or no point adding more confusion to the already long list of products I've checked out?
I am kinda disappointed that i have totally ignored the Jamo c405's and the original 426's (cause they are towers) but I just cant afford the space for them and I now realize what many people meant when they said you'd get really good BS's for the same price and I experienced it first hand yesterday.

Thanks to Kshijit at Designer Audio. Awesomeness. Thanks buddy :)

Hey there space..

What are the CDPs and Amps you are using to audition the speakers?
Better and better source/amp equipments will make the difference between the above speakers more and more. As a ground rule, if the CDP and amp are cheaper than the quad, it can make it sound only so much better than the wharfs..

Which brings to the next question.
Did you ever audition the speakers with YOUR 5.1 amp? It will sound entirely different (and inferior) in the stereo setup. If you are looking primaarily for a 2.1 setup, you are starting with a wrong amp. Carry the amp and your disk player and re-do the demo. Iam serious.

Speakers contribute to only the last 40% of the sound. The first 60% is from the CDP and amp. And if the amp is a 5.1, the stereo will be compromised.

Other option is ask the shop owner to connect the speakers to a similar 5.1 amp in sterio mode and a normal DVD player and check out before buying.

I say because, you consistently seem to hate 5.1 setups and like 2.1 setups in the price rance. I fear it has much to do with the CDP and the amp rather than the speakers itself. Check it out before taking out the cheque book. 5.1 amps in the price range are ok for 5.1 sound and not good for stereo sound. If you are planning to use DVD player in place of a dedicated CD player, it will only sound <50% as good as the CDP.

2.1 is a different ball game. It is not as simple as changing the title.

A lot of people miss this point and end up in "The speaker sounds good in showroom but not in my house" syndome. The entire demo setup you listened to including CDP/amp/Speaker/cables can run upwards of 80k. You listened to a complete 2.1 setup. Not just the speakers. Your 5.1 receiver + DVDP may probably never come close for stereo.

Last edited:
Hi Blasto
thanks for writing in as usual my friend.

I know how critical it is to pair good speakers with a good amp + cdp.
Unfortunately, my journey down this path was never that well planned. I ended up deciding on a 5.1 on an impluse of wanting to have kickass sound at my house. I never thought I would be so biased to the Stereo setups as much as I am after listening to them. One of the main problems for me is that i have already spent 25.5k on the amp and I dont intend letting go of it just yet.

The reason for that being, unlike most of you guys that are either hardcore stereo guys or hardcore 5.1 guys, i am treading the middle path. I work in the movie industry and although I am biased towards video content, I still know that I listen to more music than sit and watch movies on average in a week. That does not mean I dont intend to kit my house up with a full fledged system some day. Thats one of the reasons I ended up with a 5.1 amp to start off with.

Now no, I didnt take my amp and CDP to the stores, but in all probability, like you said, it'll definitely sound different at my house compared to the store. But thats a given. There are so many variables in the entire setup that will contribute to that and the amp + cdp are just part of the contributing factors and I understand that.

To answer your question though, I ensured that all the speakers were auditioned with a 5.1 amp. Sometimes a marantz, sometimes a denon and once an Onkyo even. All with comprable specs to my amp at home. I am sure the Quads are way superior to the WD's but then again, like i said in my extensive reply, the line just blurred after a while when heard on the same amp.

Thoughts?

To answer your question though, I ensured that all the speakers were auditioned with a 5.1 amp. Sometimes a marantz, sometimes a denon and once an Onkyo even. All with comprable specs to my amp at home. I am sure the Quads are way superior to the WD's but then again, like i said in my extensive reply, the line just blurred after a while when heard on the same amp.

Thoughts?

Ok.
That explains perfectly why they sounded similar. :)
With a stereo amp though I think they will sound quite different.

The general consensus of the forum is that $300 stereo amp sounds as good or even better than a $1000+ AVR in stereo mode.

Plus, when you are looking for 5.1 upgrade in the future, you should consider the cost of other components in the chain too.
The Center/Surrounds of the quad will also be similarly priced (meaning costly). If the difference you are hearing is so less for whatever reasons (read AVR), get the one which allows for you to add the center/surrounds easily (9.1s). Also you will miss center channel more than the sub. Most people start with fronts + center and add a sub later. Having a sub + fronts initially will compromise on the dialogs. The sub will over power the voice from fronts since most of the voice is anyways optimised for center.

Ok.
That explains perfectly why they sounded similar. :)
With a stereo amp though I think they will sound quite different.

The general consensus of the forum is that $300 stereo amp sounds as good or even better than a $1000+ AVR in stereo mode.

Plus, when you are looking for 5.1 upgrade in the future, you should consider the cost of other components in the chain too.
The Center/Surrounds of the quad will also be similarly priced (meaning costly). If the difference you are hearing is so less for whatever reasons (read AVR), get the one which allows for you to add the center/surrounds easily (9.1s). Also you will miss center channel more than the sub. Most people start with fronts + center and add a sub later. Having a sub + fronts initially will compromise on the dialogs. The sub will over power the voice from fronts since most of the voice is anyways optimised for center.

I am with you on all that you've said bro.
Here's a little profiling for you. I am 28 years old. Live alone in my own house in Mumbai. Just got done buying the house about a month ago and have some bucks to spare. In no way is this apartment my retirement home. I cant even begin to imagine myself living in this 1 BHK forever. But it'll do nicely for now cause I live alone and my gf spends sometime here with me.

Now, with all this kept in mind, I obviously went for value systems. Once i know my permanent house for the long run, it'll obviously have a very different kind of structure there. Thus the whole confusion to start off with. Either i buy something now and hope that it'll be that awesome say 10 years from today and consider no advancements in audio technology in that period or i buy something thats good enough for the current situation (including the house) and buy specific stuff that'll more than suffice for my permanent pad.

With that, I think the 9.1's are the ones I am going for. I truely think they are great speakers and I liked the way they sounded and their size. My consideration of the SPC-10 was only cause it was a sealed sub and seemed to sound way better and controlled than some of the ported Jamo's + Polk's I had heard. But thats just me. I agree with your point of the Center's being critical for movies as most of the mix comes from there.

Also, another critical thing is that I dont own a CDP. Most of the time I would be feeding the amp with an audio source of my PS3 streaming some flac to it over HDMI or my HTPC doing the same thing or my iPad/iPod connected over USB for some lossless audio tracks in my collection. I dont own too many CD's. But thats mostly because of convenience and nothing else.

I am liking how I am narrowing it down with a little help from my friends.

So the choice now then would be:
1. Quad 11L's
2. WD 9.1 + SPC-10 SW
3. WD 9.1 + SW150 (which i havent heard) + 9.1CS

All three should cost almost the same amount of money, give or take a couple of thousand.

I am with you on all that you've said bro.
Here's a little profiling for you. I am 28 years old. Live alone in my own house in Mumbai. Just got done buying the house about a month ago and have some bucks to spare. In no way is this apartment my retirement home. I cant even begin to imagine myself living in this 1 BHK forever. But it'll do nicely for now cause I live alone and my gf spends sometime here with me.

Now, with all this kept in mind, I obviously went for value systems. Once i know my permanent house for the long run, it'll obviously have a very different kind of structure there. Thus the whole confusion to start off with. Either i buy something now and hope that it'll be that awesome say 10 years from today and consider no advancements in audio technology in that period or i buy something thats good enough for the current situation (including the house) and buy specific stuff that'll more than suffice for my permanent pad.

With that, I think the 9.1's are the ones I am going for. I truely think they are great speakers and I liked the way they sounded and their size. My consideration of the SPC-10 was only cause it was a sealed sub and seemed to sound way better and controlled than some of the ported Jamo's + Polk's I had heard. But thats just me. I agree with your point of the Center's being critical for movies as most of the mix comes from there.

Also, another critical thing is that I dont own a CDP. Most of the time I would be feeding the amp with an audio source of my PS3 streaming some flac to it over HDMI or my HTPC doing the same thing or my iPad/iPod connected over USB for some lossless audio tracks in my collection. I dont own too many CD's. But thats mostly because of convenience and nothing else.

I am liking how I am narrowing it down with a little help from my friends.

So the choice now then would be:
1. Quad 11L's
2. WD 9.1 + SPC-10 SW
3. WD 9.1 + SW150 (which i havent heard) + 9.1CS

All three should cost almost the same amount of money, give or take a couple of thousand.

Few things for you..

Jamo subs are passable. Any sub in the price range will beat them. They are not known for their subs and I hope they dont sell many to unsuspecting customers. Polks are also only so-so. Nobody goes to these brands for a sub. These are not even contention to the SPC-10. SW150 is capable and is the one to audition.

For your AVR, I would say go with (3). It will solve the purpose for now. But any upgrade in the future will involve upgrading ALL of your components.

If you have any thoughts on getting a CDP and a stereo amp anytime in near future, quad is the way to go. With a good source and amplification, these can do wonders.

Also, since you are looking at bookshelves, you need to factor in the stands as well. While stands are great value in the upper price ranges, where they become a fraction of the cost of speakers, they cost as much as the speakers itself :)rolleyes:) in the range you are looking at.

P.S: Seems like mumbai is a dreaded place.. :D Come to hyd.. ;) I dont known how/why they even sell big floorstands there.. No house seem to have space to accomodate them.. :eek:

I have a nice long low swung two tier table that houses the amp + ps3 + tatasky.
My HTPC lies next to it.
The table is long enough to house the speakers at ear height. Dont know if its a problem for me to just house the 9.1's and the center on the table itself. Do stands add/remove audio quality?

Do stands add/remove audio quality?

Aparently yes according to people in the forum.. But never had them..

My recent upgrade was from a custom bookshelf on table to a floorstand. I bypassed the 'stand' stage.. so will never know..

But then, some even claim that the interconnect cables alter sound. Iam yet to see it. Till now it is placebo for me..

Check out my thread.. http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/20093-musichall-25-2-review.html. This is a second level stereo upgrade for me. NAD + custom bookshelf --> Musichall + jamo.

A friend who visited (s_sachin), has a polk based 5.1 f.s setup said that my system sounded much better in stereo and comparable in movies (even without sub, center and surrounds). Only the real surround effect was missing according to him.

Hmm interesting.
I think I might go for a DAC myself someday. When I move back to my other house in Bangalore or something. But for now, the Wharfe's on the table top should do. They are going to be firing at 3 feet height much like the stands would. I am happy to accomodate them there for lack of space. Else i might as well go for the c405's and be done with it if i had space for stands.

Thanks for all the awesome feedback man. Appreciate it.
Now that I am in bangalore for the day, I am logging off, stepping out and enjoying the bangalore weather and taking the 6 dogs for a walk.

Lets hope HifiVision gets back to me soon enough about the availability of the 9.1BS + 9.CS in Black so i can place the order soon enough for me to have them at my doorstep when I get back tomorrow/day after. Wooohooo :)
Will add the SW150 the minute i audition it or hold out for the SPC-10 for later on.

Ordered!!
It is DONE!! Almost :)
Spoke to the ever helpful Mr. Anil (a.k.a HiFiVision / owner of this forum) and just waiting for clarification from him regarding the color options and then - BOOM! New speakers baby.. yeah!

Thanks Blasto and jaudere and everyone else who's contributed to this website for making my life so much easier and pushing me towards the finish line (even if i got there extremeley confused and satisfied)

Cheers guys :)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back