Jamo SUB-250 not working

sudhishkv

Hi all,

My Jamo SUB-250 is not working from today. I have opened it and found the the main circuit board is shorted. As soon as i give the power to it, the the line fuse will drip. It is a multilayer circuit board and i think the board itself got short. The components seems to be fine. Not sure how to check the switching power supply.

Where can i find the replacement board? or can any one can suggest me somebody can repair this?

Thanks,
Sudhish.

Attachments

• sub1.jpg
    sub1.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 466
  • sub2.jpg
    sub2.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 453
Hard work paid off I have brought it back to life again :yahoo:

The following components were bad.

1) 47K resister - Open. Replaced with 1 watt.

2) Two of the power mosfets IRF 730 were short. Replaced it with the same.

Now it is working as good as new.

I have a question for the people opened the sub before. I found out the that the padding sponge is only on two sides of the box(Top and left). It is missing on the other(right) side. I assume there will not be any padding on the bottom side since the driver is on the bottom. Can anyone tell me whether I should install the padding on the other(right) side?

Thanks,
Sudhish.

Attachments

• Jamo.jpg
    Jamo.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 419
Hi,
I got the same issue with my jamo sub250 as well, its not powering on all of a sudden, isn't there a fuse that we can just change in sub like my jbl sub had?

thanks..

Yes, the fuse is integrated inside the power socket. If you examine the power socket, you will be able see the picture of the fuse on it. Remove the power plug from the socket and you will be able to pull it out using a long nose plaier(no need to remove any screws on the sub).

Were there more than 2 Hexfet's in the circuit? The International Rectifier IRF 730 is a good 5.5A device in 50 w circuits. Were they used in the switching supply or as drivers for the loudspeaker?

My experience is if one or more are shorted, and there are others in the circuit, you should change them all. What happens in the seemingly working devices is the internal damper diode is often blown open, or the zener voltage rises above the 400v ceiling of the Drain-Source channel. They can also have thermal problems, and once you crank up the volume, boom, you need to change the little devils again.

Yes, the fuse is integrated inside the power socket. If you examine the power socket, you will be able see the picture of the fuse on it. Remove the power plug from the socket and you will be able to pull it out using a long nose plaier(no need to remove any screws on the sub).

thanks for the info, will check to see if the fuse has gone :rolleyes:

i called jamo today regarding the sub250 issue i m having, they said 1500rs visiting charge to see the problem, pretty expensive for a not so famous brand in india, will try to remove the fuse & give it a shot..

Thanks..

howlong is the warranty for jamo speakers in india, worldwide they have a 5 year warranty, is it the same in india?

Thanks..

I checked with Cinebels. It seems in India its only 1 year warranty. Others may share their information.

Update,
The engineer came & changed the fuse of my sub250, the issue is not the fuse but the main board, he has taken it to the service center, hope its not some big repair bill..

I got a call from jamo today, they are saying 10k for changing the board & mostly its not repairable, this is bad news as i am thinking of going for another subwoofer make..

Thanks..

from cinebals mumbai dealer, is there a contact for the jamo head office in india?
want to contact them about this sub250 defect..

Thanks..

i have contacted jamo banglore by email, got it through the jamo international website, why should i pay 10k for the board when its a defect?
lets see how they respond..

Hey, send me the board, I will repair it for free. You need to pay only for the pats and the postal charges. I think it will be less than 500 Rs.

Hey, send me the board, I will repair it for free. You need to pay only for the pats and the postal charges. I think it will be less than 500 Rs.
hi,
the board is with jamo, they are still suppose to get back to me, the cinebals shop in mumbai are not being honest i feel, want to contact the jamo parent company & complain about this, first its a manufacture defect then after that pay 10k for the board & get only 2months warranty with it, means what its going to blow up again? will never buy jamo again. thanks for the help will keep you updated, will take my board back from them..

If you wish to contact the Jamo parent company, the CEO is T. Paul Jacobs. he is a music lover, and often flies worldwide to listen to concerts. I am sure a polite letter to him will yield results.

Mr. T. Paul Jacobs, CEO
Klipsch Worldwide Corporate Headquarters
3502 Woodview Trace, Suite 200
Indianapolis, IN 46268
USA

Dear Paul,

I am writing about my wonderful Jamo sub.....

Hard work paid off I have brought it back to life again :yahoo:

The following components were bad.

1) 47K resister - Open. Replaced with 1 watt.

2) Two of the power mosfets IRF 730 were short. Replaced it with the same.

Now it is working as good as new.

I have a question for the people opened the sub before. I found out the that the padding sponge is only on two sides of the box(Top and left). It is missing on the other(right) side. I assume there will not be any padding on the bottom side since the driver is on the bottom. Can anyone tell me whether I should install the padding on the other(right) side?

Thanks,
Sudhish.

Sudhish,

I have a Jamo Sub-300 with the same issues. The 47K resistor on my board has the same glue which has gone dark brown. I have removed and am looking to replace.

How did you diagnose the mosfets and being an issue?

Regards
Doyza

Back