JLH1969 Class A amplifier build

Awesome Idea of using the Heatsink. Waiting to see the End Product. (I mean packed in Enclosure)

Nice build Ashar. Heatsinks are unique and looks good. However see if distance between two SN3055 can be increased to spread heat. And I suppose you will be using thin heatsink compound layer after finalizing everything.
Best regards.
addition : I may be wrong but is heatsink chrome plated ?

Nice build Ashar. Heatsinks are unique and looks good. However see if distance between two SN3055 can be increased to spread heat. And I suppose you will be using thin heatsink compound layer after finalizing everything.
Best regards.
Thanx for the inputs, yes its chrome plated .
I did notice the transistors heating a lil more than a heat sink sure the heat conduction is not effecient as i did not use any thermal compund at all only mica sheets but the purpose of thermal compound is quite evident now.

Best regards.
I also understand the point the chrome plating will reduce my heat descipation in the actual alluminium sink , both your points are really helpfull . Thankyou so much.
This is a preassembly, in final , i will remove the chrome plating and also use the proper thermal compound

I also understand the point the chrome plating will reduce my heat descipation in the actual alluminium sink , both your points are really helpfull . Thankyou so much.
This is a preassembly, in final , i will remove the chrome plating and also use the proper thermal compound
yes that would help. Nice project build.
Regards

The cabinet is from a Pioneer reciever , the transformer , rectfier s too, i just need to add the capacitor rails,
After this.
Preamp section and tone control,
Vu meters with their driver,
Lastly the front face panel has to be custom created as it was a 5cd changer reciever

The amp is all set sounds beautiful , but its only a power amp,
My source being primarily my phone, i feel a strong need of a preamplifier.
Tube/transistor, class a /ab. I m yet to decide and confused

Man I seriously have tried so many things in past, but still looking for more. Though my goto Preamp is NAD165BEE now.
But do try everything you can, as it makes a huge difference how the whole combo works.
Don't rush, take it slowly.

Show us how the end product looks? Total cost of the build?

A modern design tube DIY should pair very well......

But you should also upgrade your source... ;)

Have this in mind, it has tone control aswell

Attachments

• IMG-20220210-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20220210-WA0005.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 48
Can you share a link from where you have got this picture?

A Circuit or any additional details are worth a thousand words

This seems to use Op Amps for the tone controls (which need LOTS of gain) and probably a tube buffer.... a Good start even though I'm not really into tone controls... If your system can resolve and present musical detail... a tone control is not required (IMO) to exaggerate the details "In Your Face".

What do you recommend as the source.
There are many low cost DACs that you can explore, to use with a PC or Laptop:

* Dragonfly series (and similar USB Plug in micro sized DACs)

* iFi DAC

* Pre owned Musical Fidelity

Which speakers are you using ?

Just stumbled upon this build, great going and very interesting heatsink. JLH is a very capable amp and can drive most of the speakers with ease even without a pre.

If I may, some suggestions,
  • Change the decoupling cap at the speaker out to any good audio grade cap, these has direct impact on the sound and clearly audible. Choose Nichicon Muse, ELNA Gold or similar for this application.
  • Change the board positions to either side of the heatsink and keep the transistor wire length to minimum, longer wire can cause oscillations and even hum with higher biasing.
  • Increase the biasing of transistor, that will change the character of an amp. Basically you need to change the R1 and R2 values.
I had completed mine recently and it is my primary amp currently. Sharing some pics of the build, not to hijack your thread but it might give you some ideas.

Attachments

• IMG-20220211-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20220211-WA0013.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG-20220211-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20220211-WA0014.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG-20220211-WA0018.jpg
    IMG-20220211-WA0018.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG-20220211-WA0019.jpg
    IMG-20220211-WA0019.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG-20220211-WA0015.jpg
    IMG-20220211-WA0015.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG-20220211-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20220211-WA0016.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG-20220211-WA0017.jpg
    IMG-20220211-WA0017.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG-20220211-WA0020.jpg
    IMG-20220211-WA0020.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 67
Just stumbled upon this build, great going and very interesting heatsink. JLH is a very capable amp and can drive most of the speakers with ease even without a pre.

If I may, some suggestions,
  • Change the decoupling cap at the speaker out to any good audio grade cap, these has direct impact on the sound and clearly audible. Choose Nichicon Muse, ELNA Gold or similar for this application.
  • Change the board positions to either side of the heatsink and keep the transistor wire length to minimum, longer wire can cause oscillations and even hum with higher biasing.
  • Increase the biasing of transistor, that will change the character of an amp. Basically you need to change the R1 and R2 values.
I had completed mine recently and it is my primary amp currently. Sharing some pics of the build, not to hijack your thread but it might give you some ideas.
Its beautiful, any source for output capacitor , the ones m using were the best i could find.

There are many low cost DACs that you can explore, to use with a PC or Laptop:

* Dragonfly series (and similar USB Plug in micro sized DACs)

* iFi DAC

* Pre owned Musical Fidelity

Which speakers are you using ?
For now i m using philips hiq full range speakers.
I want to build a set of good speakers too that suits the amp.
Please suggest the best drivers that can suit this amp.
My primary source is my phone thats why i need a pre amp.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back