Jordan VTL design

arunkvivek

I have been looking for shallow speakers for surrounds which have higher efficiency. The on-wall series of different brands are too expensive and low on efficiency. Are there high sensitive, low cost and Shallow speakers which can be driven by say Marantz NR series? This is where my search began.
As I was searching DIYaudio forum, I saw the Jordan VTLs being discussed extensively. I loved the profile of the speakers. http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/ridge/ridge.html
The Jordans are low in sensitivity. I wanted to check with the speaker gurus if the same design can be replicated philips / Boston Acoustics HiQ drivers.

I have tried folded TL with car speaker having 92 dB SPL. It is playing superb!
Go ahead with one such good driver instead of big (8~12 inch ones) ones and make a similar TL. Your speaker cabinet ill be narrower too if you choose a 6"X9" driver or of lower size.
That's 0.02 paisa worth experience from a non guru wanderer.

I have been looking for shallow speakers for surrounds which have higher efficiency. The on-wall series of different brands are too expensive and low on efficiency. Are there high sensitive, low cost and Shallow speakers which can be driven by say Marantz NR series? This is where my search began.
As I was searching DIYaudio forum, I saw the Jordan VTLs being discussed extensively. I loved the profile of the speakers. http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/ridge/ridge.html
The Jordans are low in sensitivity. I wanted to check with the speaker gurus if the same design can be replicated philips / Boston Acoustics HiQ drivers.
If it sims well, it'll work well! Anything else is a shot in the dark.

If it sims well, it'll work well! Anything else is a shot in the dark.
Waiting for the DIY experts to simulate when they get time :) The physics of speakers are beyond my comprehension. I hope somebody gives it a shot and identifies a low cost driver which is would go well with this design.

I have tried folded TL with car speaker having 92 dB SPL. It is playing superb!
Go ahead with one such good driver instead of big (8~12 inch ones) ones and make a similar TL. Your speaker cabinet ill be narrower too if you choose a 6"X9" driver or of lower size.
That's 0.02 paisa worth experience from a non guru wanderer.
Sumanta, I have read your open baffles & pipe speakers blog and you definitely belong to a guru-category for me. I really do not know what tool to download and simulate this kind of a design.

Waiting for the DIY experts to simulate when they get time :) The physics of speakers are beyond my comprehension. I hope somebody gives it a shot and identifies a low cost driver which is would go well with this design.
Well I follow simple MJK table for tapered TL and then mass load it (or not) by my ears alone. Simulation can't change or influence my listening. To start a design, simulation helps. Simulations and experiences made the thumb rule table of MJK, hence I follow that. I am a lazy guy who invest 30 rupees to get a return of 70~85 rupees. Unfortunately I am successful for speaker design case only. I wish I could be successful on money market as well.
I am sure simulation helps.

Sumanta, I have read your open baffles & pipe speakers blog and you definitely belong to a guru-category for me. I really do not know what tool to download and simulate this kind of a design.
I am very happy that you read my blog. Thanks a lot. I wish I culd help you on the simulation part.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back