JRiver User Discussion

Thanks for pointing me to their forum. I will try to understand their reason for the improved sound with two computer setup.

Regardless of JRiver or JPlay, what interests me is the 2 computer implementation.

Just a note for users of JRMC planning to install JPlay
Read this: JPLAY is not recommended

I have no bones about JPlay but this was a controversial development last year.

Correct;

But Play J Play direct in its mini form or via Foobar.
Do not play it via J River.

Compare 4 things.

Foobar - Stock - ASIO or KS or Wasapi

or

J River - Wasapi

or

J Play - Mini

or

Foobar with J Play

Try all & see what is liked most.

All the Best !

Regardless of JRiver or JPlay, what interests me is the 2 computer implementation.

Sir,
The 2 Computer is only possible with J Play
J River does not have any 2 machine playback.
You can test the different J Plays in these manners :-
J Play in 1 Machine - Win 7
J Play in 1 Machine - Win 8
J Play in 2 Machine - Win 8
J Play in 2 Machine - Win 8 Through Foobar
I do understand all this sounds very complicated - it is sad - but due to its nascent stage there is a lot of R & D that is going on.
I installed 5.2 ALT [J Play] on my machine & I still prefer 5.1 more - need to shift back - will do it soon - I hope. Miss the Sound Stage Depth among other things..

Sir,
The 2 Computer is only possible with J Play
J River does not have any 2 machine playback.

Yes, you can play to another machine using JRiver.
It's what I am using now using the JRiver > Zones feature.

As a matter of fact you can play to multiple machines/zones in JRiver.

Yes, you can play to another machine using JRiver.
It's what I am using now using the JRiver > Zones feature.
As a matter of fact you can play to multiple machines/zones in JRiver.

Correct - This is for Pure Zone.
It is not a function of SQ - it is for pure convenience - that is all.

In my case the 2 machines are in the same room - right next to each other & are used to feed 1 DAC - D.A.D. via RME Card.

For those who use Windows 8, here's a thread on CA about an optimization Script.

Some other tips on optimizing Windows 8 for audio.

Perfect;
Way to go.
Just try and install win 8 & play it back - keep all things the same.
Install a dual boot - & that way you can try win 7 & win 8 - do the experiment & see what you find.
There is 1 more thing you can do - also install the free J Play on your machine.
Listen to it & then form an opinion.
If with a single machine you find an improvement - at least you know you are on the right track.
If not - there is no down side - there was no cost involved.
At least you know - after having done the test in your set up - on your own.

Yup :) I've been meaning to do this for quite a while now: At the very least, to try Windows 8 for audio. A combination of lack of time spent at home and laziness has made me keep putting this off.

I will get around to trying this out soon. Like you said, unless I try it for myself, I really wouldn't know. Maybe I'm missing out on a better experience now!

I was @ a FM's place - yesterday [afternoon] - my 1st visit - Bryston DAC + Pre + 4B SST & PMC Speakers & Toshiba Lap Top.
He was on Foobar.
I installed J River for him.
Configured the software a bit - what ever little I could & what a difference it made.
That set up sounded very good indeed.
Also speakers were re-positioned & I left after 2 hours very happy with what ever was done.
Point Being - Spend a few hours - get the software in place & tune it - tweak it & the result will be so good - you too will be surprised...:clapping:

I have always said;

Audio Gear = 35 %
Room for Music = 40 %
Tune / Set Up = 25 %

Give or take a bit - this is what the final result is all dependent on.
Just because good / expensive audio gear is purchased - does not mean that the sound will be good.

You do need good gear.
You also need a good room. Correct Size & Well Treated.
Finally - the set up - all the gear well installed & correctly tuned & perfectly dialed into the room etc.
Foobar / J River / J Play etc. all will come into this 3rd 25 % part.
Get the right thing & have it installed in the correct manner & have the right options selected etc.

:eek:hyeah:

I was @ a FM's place - yesterday [afternoon] - my 1st visit - Bryston DAC + Pre + 4B SST & PMC Speakers & Toshiba Lap Top.
He was on Foobar.
I installed J River for him.
Configured the software a bit - what ever little I could & what a difference it made.
That set up sounded very good indeed.
Also speakers were re-positioned & I left after 2 hours very happy with what ever was done.
Point Being - Spend a few hours - get the software in place & tune it - tweak it & the result will be so good - you too will be surprised...:clapping:

Thanks bhagwan for sharing your experience.

I am waiting for the BJ LC-1 interconnects to arrive. I will also try comparing foobar2000 with the Jriver trial version.

Has any FM tried the Audiophile Optimizer for Windows Server 2012? I'm fascinated, but part of me screams "snake oil"! don't want this comment to deteriorate this discussion into one of those pointless impasse, but would love to hear from someone with real world experience.

JRiver must be good as it is favored by many audiophiles (some I know personally) but I don't feel like installing a huge software to play music when foobar does (almost) the same stuff and takes only 4/5 mbs space.

Last edited:
I guess this question is for other Jriver v.19 users. I am using the play "files from memory" function exclusively now. Though even Jriver stated that there is not much improvement in this mode, and initially even I felt the same, now I feel toggling between both I hear slightly better performance (can't be very specific, but in a nutshell the sound is more smooth - more analog like if you will). Did any body test this?
BTW no flames please - I am not comparing this to any other media player, just trying to optimize my v.19 to the best possible performance. Secondly I would prefer actual hearing based findings rather than theoretical reasons.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Sid,

I used the Memory Playback feature briefly but did not notice any difference in quality. It's interesting that you noticed a difference. JRiver v19 onwards stores encoded data in the memory (vs conversion on the fly) but it's trivial considering that encoding a file of about 30 - 40 Mb data takes hardly a second.

Anyways the feature was added on request so there must be some people out there who notice a difference on their systems.

The real badass feature I would like to explore is the ability of JRiver to apply third party room correction filters like in the case below:

Computer Audiophile - Acourate Digital Room and Loudspeaker Correction Software Walkthrough

Last edited:
I guess this question is for other Jriver v.19 users. I am using the play "files from memory" function exclusively now. Though even Jriver stated that there is not much improvement in this mode, and initially even I felt the same, now I feel toggling between both I hear slightly better performance (can't be very specific, but in a nutshell the sound is more smooth - more analog like if you will). Did any body test this?
BTW no flames please - I am not comparing this to any other media player, just trying to optimize my v.19 to the best possible performance. Secondly I would prefer actual hearing based findings rather than theoretical reasons.
Cheers,
Sid

I wanted to try this a few months back (actually spurred on by a post of yours on another thread), but apparently my upgrade-window is closed (tops out at v18). I'm not sure that I want to pay extra for an upgrade right now :eek:

Ok. I installed Jriver and heard some tracks. Honest opinion: With Foobar i never felt like listening to music for extended period of time but with Jriver things changed. I enjoyed music more. I don't know if it was better high/lows/mid/bass/treble, it just sounded better and superior. Installation takes 100 mbs which is not bad. Jriver will be my default music player from now on :)

Has any FM tried the Audiophile Optimizer for Windows Server 2012? I'm fascinated, but part of me screams "snake oil"! don't want this comment to deteriorate this discussion into one of those pointless impasse, but would love to hear from someone with real world experience.

The Win Server 2012 setup for Audio is not snake oil. In Win Server 2012 you can shut down almost all system processes. At the moment this is the state of the art solution for Windows Audio and you can expect massive improvement in sound just by changing to Win Server 2012 alone.

The big limitation here is the cost of the OS which is approx Rs 85k.
Microsoft does give you a one year trial licence however so you can take this for a spin if you want to.

Shell Integration (Windows):

Tools > Options > General > Enable Shell Integration (select the tick box)

I picked up this useful feature relatively recently. Shell Integration enables JRMC into your right click menu when in Explorer.

nIkTplG.png

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back