JRiver User Discussion

Nikhil....

THANKS for the Wiki link.

Sounds interesting. Will CERTAINLY explore in the morning.

It also tells me I was silly to think that VCD referred to Video CD ....:eek:

Not a problem at all. Unfortunately I don't have any DVD Audio disks with me.
From what I could see the main issue is mounting the DVD disk as virtual drive.
The rest should be (relatively) straight forward.

daemon tools lite. Its the best software for mounting.

THANKS ! reignofchaos. :yahoo:

daemon tools did what Slysoft could not. Superb !

Now to integrate this with J River, as per Nikhil's pointer (Wiki)

Hopefully will sort out today.

Have been using D-Tools for backing up game dvds for a very long time now. Liked it so much that I bought the pro version even though the lite version does everything i need. It can even emulate copy protection of copy protected cds/dvds.

Got Home too tired, yesterday evening ...

Maybe today.

By default, the mounted disk opens in Windows Media Player and plays Puurrr fectly :)

Hi Nikhil ,
are there any settings for jriver which have to be changed ?Or do i go with the default settings on installation ?

Regds

THANKS ! reignofchaos.

Mounting and using the 24/96 DVD-A discs (soft copies) are proving to be a bigger Challenge that I expected.

1. The discs only Mount in Daemon Tools Pro. The free ware version shows an error !

I had orriginally downloaded the Pro version with its 20 day free trial, which had mounted the file.... Foolish me... I ass-u-me-d that the freeware version would also do this basic task... I was wrong.

2. The image discs need to be opened in Daemon Tools Pro and then the disk will be launched in JRiver ( which i have set as the default App in Win7 for DVDs).

The image disk cannot be launched directly in JRiver, and neither is the disk cataloged, even though all the meta data including Cover art are embedded in the ISO file.

3. I tried to extract the 24/96 Music files from the mouynted image. ...

I used Win DVD Audio Extractor. Most of the songs from the disk were extracted, but I lost all the meta Data and (atleast ? ) 1 song is corrupted / only partially extracted ).

Its turned into a Major Hobby Project, now...:rolleyes:

Mounting and using the 24/96 DVD-A discs (soft copies) are proving to be a bigger Challenge that I expected.

1. The discs only Mount in Daemon Tools Pro. The free ware version shows an error !

Daemon Tools Lite should be able to mount all ISO images regardless of content. What is the error message you're getting?

Try uninstalling the software.
Clean all registry entries (if you know how to do it .. or use CCleaner)
Reinstall Daemon Tools Lite.

Hi Nikhil ,
are there any settings for jriver which have to be changed ?Or do i go with the default settings on installation ?

Regds

You can specify what media files you want JRMC to handle during installation.
In my case all I need is Audio so I specify just Audio files while doing the install.

Basically this avoids JRMC indexing all your other content into its database.

Alternatively, after installing you can turn off File Associations in the Tools > Options > File Types menu

Nikhil said:

Daemon Tools Lite should be able to mount all ISO images regardless of content. What is the error message you're getting?

Try uninstalling the software.

Clean all registry entries (if you know how to do it .. or use CCleaner)
Reinstall Daemon Tools Lite.

Yup, done that already. Clearly there is more to it, since even the Sly Soft software is unable to open the file.

( Incidentally, I even reinstalled JRiver .... no diff )

Yes, its a *.iso file. ( Infact I have about 8 of these files )

They are all .iso files of DVD Audio ( 24/96) content.

Usually .iso files are created as images of a SACD which is not 24/96.

The SACD *.iso files are easily read and catalogued by J River.

I cant quote the exact error message because I un-installed the freeware version and Re-installed the Pro version ( 20 day trial, counting down).

I dont want to get into another Uninstall - install - uninstall - install cycle.....

Beside 'Daemon Tool Lite/Pro' you have to use "AnyDVD HD" to get rid of any kind of protection, region barrier and ads which is normally associated with *.iso files Dvd/Blu-ray.

Bumping an old thread... but should be useful for those venturing into computer audio.

For starters, I'm a Foobar guy, 200% in fact and I'm also Mr. Convenience over Mr. Perfect... meaning I've everything connected to the PC and PS3 and will simply use a sounddock or Bose instead of the AVR and speakers and everything runs on a wireless network and via tablets and phablets and via Bluetooth and WiFi.

I've tinkered with pretty much every media player and have stuck with Foobar for years and I'm also of the firm belief that pretty much any player can be tweaked and set up to sound the exact way you want... for most 99% difference will be achieved by using EQ on rock setting, but many tweaks like a RAM disc, WASAPI, audiophile mode, etc. will make a huge difference.

I've used JRiver on and off but never as the default player for anything... its always been Foobar for audio and Daum PotPlayer for video.

The past 2 days I've been setting up a new media server for both audio and video (and probably the reason I'm tired and having the beginning of a headache) but on the new setup I installed Foobar and JRiver... and maybe its the headache but Foobar, while it sounds great also is harsher and not helping with the headache. JRiver on the other hand is smooth, buttery smooth, pretty much rolls off the harshness and slightly emphasizes the bass... in other words no listening fatigue. Not sure what processing they are doing, I'm using the latest version and it definitely has impressed me big time.

Now a question for the JRiver users... is there an auto DJ feature in JRiver, a function that will keep adding tracks to the playlist, and keep it running. This is a feature found in both MediaMonkey and MusicBee and is a great way to listen to music you've not heard in a long time or for simple background playing when you are focussed on other tasks.

Edit - Found the solution for Auto DJ, Play Doctor, works on both the PC and the smartphone app.

Anyways, to get back to the point... give JRiver a try, might just float your boat, its easy on the ears and pretty much works with minimal tweaking. The sound has a smoothness not found so easily in other players, hard to describe it, but a better way to put it is less listening fatigue even over extended periods of time.

Last edited:
Funny. My experience is exactly the opposite. Using Wasapi I find the foobar sounds much smoother and polished than Jriver.

Am I missing something in the settings or maybe its the difference in equipment.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back