JRiver User Discussion

Here's one thing that seems to work for me. I saw this tip on some forum. I'm not sure if it's my imagination or not, but things sound better when I do this:

Once JRMC is running, open Task Manager, Shift to the 'Processes' Tab, right-click on the Media Center (JRMC) process, select 'Set Priority', choose 'Highest'.

In Win 7, we need to do this every time we start the computer (the priority defaults to 'Normal'). There is some way of setting it permanently to 'Highest', but it was too much work, and getting back to default seemed to be an even bigger hassle, so I didn't try it.

Here's one thing that seems to work for me. I saw this tip on some forum. I'm not sure if it's my imagination or not, but things sound better when I do this:

Once JRMC is running, open Task Manager, Shift to the 'Processes' Tab, right-click on the Media Center (JRMC) process, select 'Set Priority', choose 'Highest'.

In Win 7, we need to do this every time we start the computer (the priority defaults to 'Normal'). There is some way of setting it permanently to 'Highest', but it was too much work, and getting back to default seemed to be an even bigger hassle, so I didn't try it.

I have set this as permanent using a script thats available on the net for free, not sure whether its called "Fidelizer" or something. With this setting the particular media player to "High" priority makes the RAM dedicated (max capacity) it seems, not sure but I like it and i am using it since more than 6 months albeit with Foobar.

hydra, that is a neat idea.

Found this useful tool (free) that does the job.
Prio - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Does a few other useful things as well. (see this link for info)

tried jriver.. could not find a big difference vs foobar in audio, but i find the interface/app very bloated.

gonna give it a try till trial period ends..

You gotta tweak it more to sound better. I don't remember my settings 'coz I just started using it but try some settings in DSP. Change equalizer to rock and do some other headbanging. You should like it. I agree, foobar is a simple no-nonsense player and never hangs. My second preference is foobar specially for low power machines.
tried jriver. could not find a big difference vs foobar in audio, but i find the interface/app very bloated.

gonna give it a try till trial period ends..

Got this on the JRiver newsletter. Found it pretty useful ...

For cover art or other images, MC for Windows has a simple photo editor. Select any image, right click and choose "Edit image" to begin. You can crop, rotate, etc. Old faded color photos can be improved by using "Adjust". Out of focus pictures may benefit from "Sharpen". "Heal" lets you repair minor defects. When you save your work, MC won't overwrite your original unless you tell it to. It saves a "version" (changes only) so you can always return to an earlier version and start over. The best way to learn is to try it on an image you don't care about.

That brings up MC's ability to capture a screenshot. On the desktop, you can copy an image to the clipboard. Use your keyboard's Print Screen key to copy the whole desktop image to the clipboard. Or use Alt and Print Screen keys to copy the window in focus. In MC, open Camera in the lower left corner, and select Copy from Clipboard, then Acquire.

You gotta tweak it more to sound better. I don't remember my settings 'coz I just started using it but try some settings in DSP. Change equalizer to rock and do some other headbanging. You should like it. I agree, foobar is a simple no-nonsense player and never hangs. My second preference is foobar specially for low power machines.

Yesterday night I tried to play on the JRiver 19.0 version trail copy and with just default settings with my ODAC and WASAPI my PC was hanging and above all lots crackling sounds started popping up. Not sure whats the issue as I even closed the Foobar and no other application was running. I think JRiver is very CPU intensive and my music-pc is a fanless "Foxconn" with Intel Atom processor and 4 GB RAM. The CPU load was close to 90%, so immediately I had to close the application but no way. The entire system was hanged, I had to hard reboot the PC and no going back to JRiver. Started playing back with Foobar and ODAC WASAPI and playback was as smooth and transparent as possible.

Manniraj, your system spec is plenty for Jriver 19.
I have used it on systems with much lesser specs so definitely that's not the issue.

I face similar issues with Jriver, though i'm yet to tinker to find out the optimal settings, but in comparison to Foobar, JRMC does slow down my system.

I'm guessing here but it could be that JRMC being a "Media Center" starts indexing all media on your system into the JRMC database. While installing JRiver you can uncheck features that you don't need (such as video etc).

After installation use "Tools > Options > File Types" to change file associations that you don't want JRiver to handle. In my setup JRiver became the default jpg file viewer which I didn't want.

See if this helps.

I have about 30 DVD Audio Disks ( 24/96) each ripped as ISO files

Can someone help me ? I cant open them in J River, Version 19 ( latest ... legal copy).

Have searched the net .... also tried the usual import to library, Drag n drop etc :sad:...

Thanks for your help, guys...

Thanks, hydra for your suggestion.

Mounting the iso with a separate utility, is a last choice...

I do know that JRiver will directly play from an ISO image, though not sure if it can handle a 24/96 ISO image.... Thoughts anyone ?

Last edited:
Sadly..... Virtual Clone interprets the 24/96 ISO file as a VCD File , "..and fails to open it.

Any other suggestions .?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back