JRiver User Discussion

Funny. My experience is exactly the opposite. Using Wasapi I find the foobar sounds much smoother and polished than Jriver.

Am I missing something in the settings or maybe its the difference in equipment.

Its not clear if you are using WASAPI in JRiver, but test both using WASAPI.

That said Foobar is no slouch, its been my main player for many years and even now I feel it offers a tad bit more detail than JRiver. However, JRiver does roll off/smoothen the highs so I find it easier on the ears especially for long hours.

In terms of interface its Foobar all the way for me... considering I've set it up exactly the way I want it and there is not much choice in JRiver in that regard. A couple of advantages with JRiver are that it supports madVR for video, which it makes it one of the best video players and the Gizmo app which lets you stream your music (limited to mp3) when out of home.

Funny. My experience is exactly the opposite. Using Wasapi I find the foobar sounds much smoother and polished than Jriver.

Am I missing something in the settings or maybe its the difference in equipment.
Wasapi sounds good to me.Also different versions of foobar sounds different on same machine.

Have tried Jriver and XBMC/Kodi using Wasapi. While all of these sound pretty good, foobar has a certain bloom and sparkle to the sound the others missed. Possibly my gear had something to do with it.

The Jriver UI in conjunction with the Android remote is a treat to use. I have tried to like the Jriver time and again but I end up going back to the Foobar everytime.

My gear is on the warmer side so the added sparkle might sound better while with brighter gear it might come off as a bit of grainy or shrill. Just speculating here.

Last edited:
Done. Do I need to change to WASAPI in windows too?

No settings in Windows, it works by default.

If you have multiple soundcards/audio devices on your PC and want to dedicate one to Foobar then you can enable exclusive mode for that device (speaker properties).

If there is only one audio device then you might want to disable exclusive mode as audio will not work for any other application until Foobar is stopped.

Thanks

Its not clear if you are using WASAPI in JRiver, but test both using WASAPI.

That said Foobar is no slouch, its been my main player for many years and even now I feel it offers a tad bit more detail than JRiver. However, JRiver does roll off/smoothen the highs so I find it easier on the ears especially for long hours.

In terms of interface its Foobar all the way for me... considering I've set it up exactly the way I want it and there is not much choice in JRiver in that regard. A couple of advantages with JRiver are that it supports madVR for video, which it makes it one of the best video players and the Gizmo app which lets you stream your music (limited to mp3) when out of home.

Thanks Musicbee for fine tuning my setup through team viewer. The muddled sound has cleared, which has led to mid-bass improvement.

--
Helium
Asus Xonar STX + Bottlehead Foreplay III + Lyrita Audio SET 6C33C + Vintage Acoustic Research AR2ax + Lyrita cables = Nirvana

Hi all. Been away for a while from the forum but so glad to see this thread. After several years of using Foobar I have switched to JRiver.
However, importing my WAV files into JRMC I can see is going to be a nightmare. At the moment I have only done one small SSD of recent download purchases and it is already a mess. I managed to get the album list populated but none of the images seem to show in the audio/album view. However when I open the image folder below it appears a lot (if not all) the images show up. Does anyone know how I can open at least the cover image for the CD (which as mentioned above shows up in the images library) in the audio view please?
By the way, I am very pleased with the SQ. I am using the new configuration of Laufer Teknik's Memory Player and it sounds great.
Regards to all.

Place the Cover picture as a jpg image called 'Front.jpg" is the SAME folder as the wav file. ( Not in a separate sub-folder).

Also the file name MUST be only "Front.jpg" and other file name will be ignored.

Now go to the wav file listed in JRiver, Right Click, Cover Art / Take image from Folder.

Bingo !

The strange thing is that the artwork showed up in Foobar, but i lost it when importing my library into JRMC.

Just upgraded from v19 to v20 and so far so good. I usually wait for things to settle down before moving and it looks like JRiver 20 is now stable. The upgrade from 19 to 20 costs $26.98 and requires download & installation of a complete install file.

This is the comprehensive list of all that is new in JRiver 20.

One of the new features that caught my eye is the new WDM driver that allows for capture of all browser inputs into JRiver.
One can then apply all DSP effects to the input. Looks like a very useful feature.

All those interested may look up the JRiver website for more details.

Last edited:
Can someone through best audio settings for Jriver including eq/room correction settings ?

The best settings vary for each system and room conditions. You should try and see what works best for you and what sound you like.
Don't be afraid to experiment with any of the settings as you can always undo the setting.

One setting I would recommend is Bass Management:
Tools > Options > Audio > DSP & Audio Format > Room Correction
Under Bass Management set Crossover to "120 Hz (recommended for Small Speakers)" if you are using very small desktop speakers (as an example) on your PC. If you are playing audio to a pair of bookshelf speakers change to 100 Hz or 80 Hz. By removing lower frequencies which are anyway not possible with a bookshelf speaker your sound will clean up very nicely.

Another is adjusting for the speaker positions in your room
Under Room Correction set the values as per your speaker positions.

A very interesting feature I like is the Analyzer which displays a frequency analysis of the signal.
Tools > Options > Audio > DSP & Audio Format > Analyzer
The x axis is frequency on a log scale and you can change the limits in the boxes under the axis.

These are just some examples of using the DSP features to tune the system to your liking.

Last edited:
Back