JRiver User Discussion

I have been a long time JRiver user .. currently on 25. I use this as my Media center for hi Rez bit perfect playback and video transcoding on the fly for multiple devices. What I truly appreciate is the library management (I have more than 4tb of files , tens of playlists, custom metadata applied , artwork maintained ) , DLNA servers with multiple configuration ,the DSP processing ( especially the parametric eq which is a hidden gem ) ,sox and madvr support ..using the wdm driver and general speed of the application. A major problem with JRiver is their documentation for a newbie there’s way too much technical jargon and tons of forum threads to go through before they understand how to use it effectively.
Hi, since you are on the latest version 25, did you feel a difference in sound quality over the previous version? I am still on MC 20 and wondering if I should upgrade to MC25 or wait for the cheaper upgrade option in January next year?

I think some tweaking has been done on the Sox resampler . I also felt the switching between multiple dsp filters was much more smoother .Easily the most tangible improvement is in loading of playlists and the library ( I do have a pretty big list and there was some lag in 24) , video playback has improved quite a bit ,earlier versions did not handle DVD ifo files very well..25 plays it smooth ).. if you’re currently using bitperfect with no dsp and don’t much care for video then you may not need this upgrade (anyway you can install it parallel to 20 and try it for one month before deciding if you want to buy it or not )

I just upgraded to JRiver 25 over the weekend.
Something seems to have changed in the sound but can't put my finger on it.

Has anybody else noticed this? This isn't a negative but just not sure what's happened.
My gut feeling is that 25 is a bit smoother which probably indicates that they may have tweaked the filters.

Hi, since you are on the latest version 25, did you feel a difference in sound quality over the previous version? I am still on MC 20 and wondering if I should upgrade to MC25 or wait for the cheaper upgrade option in January next year?

There was a noticeable change in sound quality since 23 with the introduction of the Sox.
Definitely worth an upgrade from 20 if you ask me.

I just upgraded to JRiver 25 over the weekend.
Something seems to have changed in the sound but can't put my finger on it.

Has anybody else noticed this? This isn't a negative but just not sure what's happened.
My gut feeling is that 25 is a bit smoother which probably indicates that they may have tweaked the filters.

Hi,

I too notice a change for the better in the sound in JRiver 25 from JRiver 24. It sounds smoother and there is better definition to bass lines.

Regards
Rajiv

Nikhil another Jriver user here - installed in my pi (which connects to my SOTM via Ethernet) I think version 25 is not yet out for pi.

I preferred JRiver to Roon as a player. Somehow it came across as more natural.

My big ask would be ability to invert polarity on the go in the set up above. Jriver does that only if your computer is connected to your dac. On streaming via SOTM, it does not.

Some records were recorded in inverse and some in normal polarity. I find that in some recordings I can hear the difference when there is option to invert polarity - tone and soundstage. Some DACs have the switch and since mine doesn’t, I would love it as part of software.

Others pooh pooh this though! I would like this flexibility though .

I am contemplating on getting Jriver primarily for on the fly conversion of DSD to PCM as my Audio Note DAC does not do DSD natively nor DoP. Can some one comment on the conversion output quality? I know it won't be as good as the native DSD and it is a lossy conversion but wanted to know if sound deterioration is just too much or easily manageable. Thanks in advance.

A big thank you to forum member Sachin Chavan for recommending Radio Paradise on the "Right Now I am listening to" thread.

Its a brilliant radio station - great selection of music, ad free, with the option to stream FLAC. Its available TuneIn if you want to try it.

Im posting this here because I subsequently discovered that JRiver has Radio Paradise as a pre installed plugin. Look under "Streaming" and you can start listening to the FLAC stream right away, no tinkering.

Happy Listening !

Boy reading this thread i am tempted to try it out too. Been s foobar user all these years. I know the gui is leagues ahead, is there any difference in sound quality too?

Also, is there a bare bones free version too?

MaSh

Boy reading this thread i am tempted to try it out too. Been s foobar user all these years. I know the gui is leagues ahead, is there any difference in sound quality too?

Also, is there a bare bones free version too?

MaSh
Unfortunately, there is no free version. But I can confirm that its very much worth the money. I say this even though i use it mostly for music and barely use its video capabilities.
In my opinion the sound is better than foobar (i used foobar for years) cant elaborate what exactly , perhaps another more articulate forum member can describe in what way its better

Has any one here tried NATIVE DSD playback on JR? Pl. share the settings.

I use JRiver to play native DSD without any issues.
I recommend playing native DSD using Bitstreaming.

Tools > Audio > Settings > Bitstreaming > Select "DSD" from the dropdown menu

Options-Audio-Bitstream-DSD.png

See here for more info: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DSD

Regards

My big ask would be ability to invert polarity on the go in the set up above. Jriver does that only if your computer is connected to your dac. On streaming via SOTM, it does not.

@vivek_r

Sorry but somehow missed seeing this earlier. Have you got this sorted out?
To get files to stream as per your preference you will need to tweak the settings in Media Network.

Regards

Just bought the discounted upgrade to JRMC 26 last week.
Have not implemented it yet as the release is due later this year.

Has anybody else opted for the upgrade to v26?
For me the price is just right in comparison to Roon or HQPlayer.
I have a Master Licence for some time now which allows multiple installs over Windows, MacOS and Linux.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back