Just bought Yamaha YHT-299

actually I had purchased it online, and yet its in transit, if possible can u plz show me the picture of mount bracket

k, but still in that case i believe u should be able to call the customer support and ask for installation. I will post the pic tomorrow.

Hi All,

I am a newbie to this forum. I do not know much about the technicalities of home theaters but my old sony HT system has almost died and was giving a very bad distortion from the surround speakers. So, decided to go for a HT with proper AVR this time. Do not want commit the same mistake twice by butying commercial home theater again.

After going through the demo of various models I finally went ahead with Yamaha YHT-299 couple of weeks back :yahoo: I was really impressed with its sound quality in the demo and is very much with in my budget range.
I have also been through the demos of Onkyo 7.1 and Pioneer RS-33.
Pioneer was a good system especially music was really good in Pioneer. For movies, Yamaha and Onkyo were better for me.

I must say it was a very close call between Onkyo and Yamaha. Finally went with Yamaha since it has 4k pass through and supports a lot of sound formats as well. Also, found that the quality of HD movie channels in Yamaha system is much better than that of Onkyo's. When you play a blu ray dis then you will hardly notice any difference. If you are playing a proper 7.1 blu ray then Onkyo's performance is just out of this world. But Onkyo had a lot of wait time (more than a month). So finally went with Yamaha.

Unfortunately never been through this website before I did the purchase.
But still I must say I am extremely happy with the sound quality and I am enjoying every bit of it. Especially the sound coming from the HD channels which give 5.1 surround is just too good.

HTIB costed me about 37k, bought phillips Blu ray player for 3k and went for extended warranty for 2 more years for another 2k. All in all it cost me about 42k.

I use it mostly for the movies. Saw Dark knight Rises last night in my system and it was simply awesome experience.

Thanks,
Sandeep.

3K philips bluray player seems downside for your HT setup. There won't be better processing speed on your bluray player. Incase when you are on budget I recommend you to go for Pioneer blurays or if you have some one in USA you can get at much cheaper price

Hi everyone.
Just joined the forum while following the thread. I also bought YHT 299 online for around 32k, but it is still being shipped from very west to very north of the country, that too by surface transport of FedEx.I hope product turns out to be good one.
Thanks.

Hello, can any one have idea where i get YHT 299 in INDORE MP, or need to buy online and is it safe to buy online?
Please advice.

Hi everyone.
Just joined the forum while following the thread. I also bought YHT 299 online for around 32k, but it is still being shipped from very west to very north of the country, that too by surface transport of FedEx.I hope product turns out to be good one.
Thanks.

Where did you buy it online from at 32K? Seems a ridiculously low price.

Where did you buy it online from at 32K? Seems a ridiculously low price.

Sorry for getting back so late as I had been traveling in some remote areas.
I got it from eBay. It was already discounted and I was able to apply another 10% off coupon.
The product is completely new and works flawlessly.:)

Sorry for getting back so late as I had been traveling in some remote areas.
I got it from eBay. It was already discounted and I was able to apply another 10% off coupon.
The product is completely new and works flawlessly.:)

which seller from Ebay ? I am looking to YHT196.

msl-e-shop on eBay
He has 196 too, but find a good discount coupon, as eBay is providing such towards its 9th year of establishing in India.

I was looking for the same retailer. Reputation looks good and based on your feedback, thanks again. I will go for the same.

Btw, did you do the installation on your own- or called up for some help ? I asked around, yamaha support guys are asking Rs. 750.
Plus I am looking for wall mount stand which they charge Rs 450 and I can get them for 360 at ebay.
Wall Mount Stand FOR Only Yamaha Home Theatre Speaker ONE NO | eBay

Another query : I will require 5 of these stands, correct ?
4 for corner speakers and 1 for central speakers ?
anyone can answer on the same ?

I was looking for the same retailer. Reputation looks good and based on your feedback, thanks again. I will go for the same.

Btw, did you do the installation on your own- or called up for some help ? I asked around, yamaha support guys are asking Rs. 750.
Plus I am looking for wall mount stand which they charge Rs 450 and I can get them for 360 at ebay.
Wall Mount Stand FOR Only Yamaha Home Theatre Speaker ONE NO | eBay

Another query : I will require 5 of these stands, correct ?
4 for corner speakers and 1 for central speakers ?
anyone can answer on the same ?

No, I installed it myself. I live in Shimla and I'm sure no Yamaha guys would come here, so did it myself. My room has enough of wood work, so installation was easy with home drill etc.
Choice of stands is entirely yours, the central speaker can be kept as such on the av unit itself, the unit has a small plastic cover over the vents of A/V unit for easier air circulation, but the central speaker also has option to be fitted on the same stand as you have mentioned. But my take is to keep it rested on anything than on a stand.

No, I installed it myself. I live in Shimla and I'm sure no Yamaha guys would come here, so did it myself. My room has enough of wood work, so installation was easy with home drill etc.
Choice of stands is entirely yours, the central speaker can be kept as such on the av unit itself, the unit has a small plastic cover over the vents of A/V unit for easier air circulation, but the central speaker also has option to be fitted on the same stand as you have mentioned. But my take is to keep it rested on anything than on a stand.

Thanks for all the responses.
So, Finally, I ordered it from Ebay, using 10% discount, got it for 20,700 and using payback card, a further 700.
So, finally for 20,000.
The seller is extremely professional. I had ordered at 10 PM in night and he he shipped 6 PM next day. Received the day after. So, less than 48 hrs after ordering.
Called up the yamaha guy for installation. He cam around, advised stands to direct sounds to right directions and also optical cables. All in all, I am happy I got professional help-coz I couldnt have done whatever he did.
Paid him 500 + (450x4=1800 for stands)+ 800 for optical cable. Rs 3100.

So, All set, enjoying the YHT196 although not at a full blast..windows rattling. Its great and as per my requirements, very much VFM and I am extremely happy..:yahoo:

So, Finally, I ordered it from Ebay, using 10% discount, got it for 20,700 and using payback card, a further 700.
So, finally for 20,000.
The seller is extremely professional. I had ordered at 10 PM in night and he he shipped 6 PM next day. Received the day after. So, less than 48 hrs after ordering.
Called up the yamaha guy for installation. He cam around, advised stands to direct sounds to right directions and also optical cables. All in all, I am happy I got professional help-coz I couldnt have done whatever he did.

So, All set, enjoying the YHT196 although not at a full blast..windows rattling. Its great and as per my requirements, very much VFM and I am extremely happy..:yahoo:

Congrats. You got yht 196? Right.

I am not really good at comparing. I have demoed Onkyo HTS3500 too before going for YHT 299. All I can say is that, YHT 299 sounded better for me. I was impressed with YHT 299 especially with its low volume performance. Even at a lower volume you can still feel the thud of a blast or a gun shot etc.. Having said that if Onkyo HTS3500 is a solid system for movies but I guess 299 has better performance in terms of music.

So, finally for 20,000.

Did you pay 500rs for installation?
I enqurry the yht299, final price told as 38k + 500rs extra for installation charges.

I am not really good at comparing. I have demoed Onkyo HTS3500 too before going for YHT 299. All I can say is that, YHT 299 sounded better for me. I was impressed with YHT 299 especially with its low volume performance. Even at a lower volume you can still feel the thud of a blast or a gun shot etc.. Having said that if Onkyo HTS3500 is a solid system for movies but I guess 299 has better performance in terms of music.
Wanted to know your experience demoing the two. Congrats on the buy :)

Wanted to know your experience demoing the two. Congrats on the buy :)

Thank you. Well at a higher volume I could not much difference between the systems. I use it mainly for watching movies and a bit of music too. At lower levels of volume I thought Yamha's performance was better comparatively. Especially for music, Yamaha was good. So went ahead with Yamaha.

I also have YHt 299. The audio stream is not getting displayed on the reciever, whether it is PCM or dolby digital. when i play DVD which has dolby digital audio, audio from the AVR comes as 2.1 channel only. when i use prologic option, then only sound comes from all the channels. Why is it so?
Also let men know whether should i use YPAO or do the settings manually?

I also have YHt 299. The audio stream is not getting displayed on the reciever, whether it is PCM or dolby digital. when i play DVD which has dolby digital audio, audio from the AVR comes as 2.1 channel only. when i use prologic option, then only sound comes from all the channels. Why is it so?
Also let men know whether should i use YPAO or do the settings manually?

Which source device are you using to play DVDs, check the output of device and see if its properly set to output DD sound.

And, as for YPAO, not many recommend using it, though, what you can try is, first note down all the settings done by the installation guy. Run YPAO, tweak those further, if you dont like it then revert back to the original. Better try tweaking it manually from what you have right now.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back