Just bought Yamaha YHT-299

sandeep.bommakanti

Hi All,

I am a newbie to this forum. I do not know much about the technicalities of home theaters but my old sony HT system has almost died and was giving a very bad distortion from the surround speakers. So, decided to go for a HT with proper AVR this time. Do not want commit the same mistake twice by butying commercial home theater again.

After going through the demo of various models I finally went ahead with Yamaha YHT-299 couple of weeks back :yahoo: I was really impressed with its sound quality in the demo and is very much with in my budget range.
I have also been through the demos of Onkyo 7.1 and Pioneer RS-33.
Pioneer was a good system especially music was really good in Pioneer. For movies, Yamaha and Onkyo were better for me.

I must say it was a very close call between Onkyo and Yamaha. Finally went with Yamaha since it has 4k pass through and supports a lot of sound formats as well. Also, found that the quality of HD movie channels in Yamaha system is much better than that of Onkyo's. When you play a blu ray dis then you will hardly notice any difference. If you are playing a proper 7.1 blu ray then Onkyo's performance is just out of this world. But Onkyo had a lot of wait time (more than a month). So finally went with Yamaha.

Unfortunately never been through this website before I did the purchase.
But still I must say I am extremely happy with the sound quality and I am enjoying every bit of it. Especially the sound coming from the HD channels which give 5.1 surround is just too good.

HTIB costed me about 37k, bought phillips Blu ray player for 3k and went for extended warranty for 2 more years for another 2k. All in all it cost me about 42k.

I use it mostly for the movies. Saw Dark knight Rises last night in my system and it was simply awesome experience.

Thanks,
Sandeep.

Saw Dark knight Rises last night in my system and it was simply awesome experience.

Thanks,
Sandeep.

Hello Sandeep,

Welcome to HFV. I can see that you enjoy your new system much. It doesn't matter how much it costs, all that matter is if one is happy and you clearly is happy. So congrats and happy listening/viewing.

Regards,
Sarith

Thank you gurujee.. Bass was pretty good. I love action movies. So far I could not notice any issues with it. I do not know much of technical stuff, but I think level of bass also depends on sub woofer placement. Right now I have placed in the extreme left corner of the room. Want to play around a bit with its placement before deciding on which location would be good. Will try posting some pictures soon..

I have borrowed MI4:Ghost Protocol Blu ray today from one of my friends. To my surprise it was listed as 7.1ch surround. I did not know that there were already BD's which were coming with 7.1 surround. As an after thought my mind went back to the Onkyo Htib for a min. But still it worked pretty good on 5.1. So no issues though.

Hi Yamaha,

I think you can do that. The A/V Receiver provided is definitely powerful enough for the speakers. But I would suggest to try out other AV's as well. Since this is a HTIB, you will have yamaha speakers with in the package. Buying an AV seperately would definitely safe a few bucks. As always better go for a demo before deciding on what to go for..

Thanks,
Sandeep.

Congrats Mr.Sandeep...YHT299 is very good HTIB with more features like 4K passthrough..i too audiotioned it was very nice...the music was also very crispy... i remember it is 70Watts per channel witha powered sub woofer is it?..
Njoy ..and share your experience..

Congrats Mr.Sandeep...YHT299 is very good HTIB with more features like 4K passthrough..i too audiotioned it was very nice...the music was also very crispy... i remember it is 70Watts per channel witha powered sub woofer is it?..
Njoy ..and share your experience..

Thank you Ranjith. Yes, Music is pretty good on this system. The outpu is 70Watt per channel powered with an active sub..

Congrats Sandeep.

Good to know you are from hyderabad. Now let me know where have you purchased it.
Also where did u see the demo for Yamaha, Pioneer and Onkyo.
I also intent to buy one. Saw Pioneer RS 32 at reliance but want to see yamaha 299
so let me know.

Hi Sandeep,
Next week i am going to but Yamaha YHT 299 , But let me know how to setup the Speakers in home, in what what height i need to place the speakers.

Hi Sandeep,
Next week i am going to but Yamaha YHT 299 , But let me know how to setup the Speakers in home, in what what height i need to place the speakers.

Hi Moulana,

I do not have a dedicated room for my HT. I have it in a living room. Front L and Front R are placed at a height of 6ft and 10ft apart. Surround L and Surround R were also placed at 6ft height and 10ft apart. Distance between Front and Surround Speakers was around 18ft. Center speaker was placed with the TV.
Considering my room length and stuff, I have figured out that Placing Sub to the right of TV gives me the best output. So I have placed it there. I've read somewhere that placement of sub should be in such a way that nothing should distract it. You will get better results when it is placed in an open area. So, I have fiddled around with its placement. It worked well for me.

Also, I have used Band ridge cables for connecting the speakers instead of regular Yamaha wire. Also, Recommend going for a good HDMI cables for optimum output.

Thanks,
Sandeep.

Is it advisable to set the speaker distances on AVR to actual values or let the YPAO decide that? Cause probably it wont matter for Front, Surround and Center, but for sub there will a lag in processing and YPAO accounts for that when setting the distances. Any thoughts?

You can set the correct distance manually.
And yes the sub distance measurement is likely to be wrong because the mic is not good in picking up low frequency signals- in entry level systems. We can correct that as well, manually.

I have done the settings manually. I suggest to fiddle around with sub woofer placement to figure out its best spot. It completely depends on your room size and stuff. In my case, I have played around with its placement and finally after 4 different positions figured out the best one and placed it there.

Thanks,
Sandeep.

You can set the correct distance manually.
And yes the sub distance measurement is likely to be wrong because the mic is not good in picking up low frequency signals- in entry level systems. We can correct that as well, manually.

From what I read, the sub distance should not be exact distance because of the lag (more evident for active sub). So probably its best to let YPAO decide sub distance and manually set rest of the speaker distances. I will probably use YPAO this weekend and will come to know if it does any good.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back