Just bought Yamaha YHT-299

@ skul bro, can I attach another subwoofer along with yht 299 sub woofer??

i think you can, using a splitter/y cable. Why do you need it though (unless u r a bass freak)? Other option you can try is, set fronts to Large and keep Extra Bass ON. That way your fronts and sub both give you bass. Thats what i have done.

i think you can, using a splitter/y cable. Why do you need it though (unless u r a bass freak)? Other option you can try is, set fronts to Large and keep Extra Bass ON. That way your fronts and sub both give you bass. Thats what i have done.

yeah bro I m lil bit bass freak, I love windows rattling sound along with heavy bass :yahoo: dats y m asking I have my old speaker which have 10 inch subwoofer , but problem is dat I don't know the specification , so m planning to creat a box for that woofer and then arrangements for the power supply for the same so dat I can get some extra heavy bass ,

the method u r trying is ( set fronts to Large and keep Extra Bass ON. That way your fronts and sub both give you bass) how much effective??

yeah bro I m lil bit bass freak, I love windows rattling sound along with heavy bass :yahoo: dats y m asking I have my old speaker which have 10 inch subwoofer , but problem is dat I don't know the specification , so m planning to creat a box for that woofer and then arrangements for the power supply for the same so dat I can get some extra heavy bass ,

the method u r trying is ( set fronts to Large and keep Extra Bass ON. That way your fronts and sub both give you bass) how much effective??

I want my windows intact :p , but setting large fronts and extra bass is pretty much satisfactory for me. try it out to check if it gives you enough bass. For me i like dense bass at low volume.

i came across some more information on this, setting your sub phase can also have effect on bass. You can set it to Noraml or Reverse based on you liking.

I didn't get ur point , phase means ????

Usually there is a setting for subwoofer phase on your AVR or on sub. The phase refers to how the drivers function. Normal phase means sub driver moves In with other speakers. A Reverse phase means sub driver moves Out when speaker drivers move In. Read this for more details,

Subwoofer Phase: Normal or Reverse

Usually there is a setting for subwoofer phase on your AVR or on sub. The phase refers to how the drivers function. Normal phase means sub driver moves In with other speakers. A Reverse phase means sub driver moves Out when speaker drivers move In. Read this for more details,

Subwoofer Phase: Normal or Reverse

k got it, did u find any difference by reversing phase?

Hi All,

I am a newbie to this forum. I do not know much about the technicalities of home theaters but my old sony HT system has almost died and was giving a very bad distortion from the surround speakers. So, decided to go for a HT with proper AVR this time. Do not want commit the same mistake twice by butying commercial home theater again.

After going through the demo of various models I finally went ahead with Yamaha YHT-299 couple of weeks back :yahoo: I was really impressed with its sound quality in the demo and is very much with in my budget range.
I have also been through the demos of Onkyo 7.1 and Pioneer RS-33.
Pioneer was a good system especially music was really good in Pioneer. For movies, Yamaha and Onkyo were better for me.

I must say it was a very close call between Onkyo and Yamaha. Finally went with Yamaha since it has 4k pass through and supports a lot of sound formats as well. Also, found that the quality of HD movie channels in Yamaha system is much better than that of Onkyo's. When you play a blu ray dis then you will hardly notice any difference. If you are playing a proper 7.1 blu ray then Onkyo's performance is just out of this world. But Onkyo had a lot of wait time (more than a month). So finally went with Yamaha.

Unfortunately never been through this website before I did the purchase.
But still I must say I am extremely happy with the sound quality and I am enjoying every bit of it. Especially the sound coming from the HD channels which give 5.1 surround is just too good.

HTIB costed me about 37k, bought phillips Blu ray player for 3k and went for extended warranty for 2 more years for another 2k. All in all it cost me about 42k.

I use it mostly for the movies. Saw Dark knight Rises last night in my system and it was simply awesome experience.

Thanks,
Sandeep.

Welcome to HFV and congrats. Have fun! :yahoo:

299 has active sub. for an average sized room it gives a gr8 dense bass (even at sub volume nob only halfway).
i am suggesting a friend to go for 299 instead of 196.
How this 6.5inch sub comparable to 8> sub? Will it be satisfactory for a 12x14 room. Explosion etc will sound big?

i am suggesting a friend to go for 299 instead of 196.
How this 6.5inch sub comparable to 8> sub? Will it be satisfactory for a 12x14 room. Explosion etc will sound big?

I don't think 196 has 8> inch sub (if thats what u r saying). 196 has a passive sub vs 299 having an active sub. It makes a difference. Besides when i heard both, 299 was way much clearer than 196, i mean i could really tell the difference during demo. So i suggest to go for 299. 196 doesn't support Dolby trueHD, DTS HD MA and 4K.
And as for the explosions :yahoo: I have a room size of about 11x13, and the bass sounds gr8, loud explosions. Even at low volumes i always feel those vibrations all around. At higher volumes i am sure it will shake you enough.

I don't think 196 has 8> inch sub (if thats what u r saying). 196 has a passive sub vs 299 having an active sub. It makes a difference. Besides when i heard both, 299 was way much clearer than 196, i mean i could really tell the difference during demo. So i suggest to go for 299. 196 doesn't support Dolby trueHD, DTS HD MA and 4K.
And as for the explosions :yahoo: I have a room size of about 11x13, and the bass sounds gr8, loud explosions. Even at low volumes i always feel those vibrations all around. At higher volumes i am sure it will shake you enough.
Thank You.. No no I meant 196 has 8" sub. I meant 8" sub available in other packages like wharfdalems100/ba soundware. It is 299 then.

Thank You.. No no I meant 196 has 8" sub. I meant 8" sub available in other packages like wharfdalems100/ba soundware. It is 299 then.

Oh well, in that case i dont have much idea, i actually auditioned only 196 and 299 (i m not an audiophile :) was just looking for a good system). If he has more budget and is ready to go through process of audiotioning AVR, speakers, sub separately then probably yes, the mix and match could result in better system

I am having Yamaha receiver + LG LED TV set up. My DTH box is connected to TV via HDMI and then TV to receiver optical audio out. I am getting Dolby digital 5.1 audio from DTH box. But while connecting my laptop to TV via HDMI and running some HD video on it, dolby sound is not transmitted (receiver shows PCM) where as HD video is displayed on TV. What may be the problem?

I am having Yamaha receiver + LG LED TV set up. My DTH box is connected to TV via HDMI and then TV to receiver optical audio out. I am getting Dolby digital 5.1 audio from DTH box. But while connecting my laptop to TV via HDMI and running some HD video on it, dolby sound is not transmitted (receiver shows PCM) where as HD video is displayed on TV. What may be the problem?

Which DTH do you have? And why not connect optical out from DTH to receiver.
And as for playing HD videos on PC, did you check what audio codec are those? And is you PC able to send Dolby audio output?

@ skul82 bro how did u hanged the speakers in wall plz give me suggestion about dis

The YAMAHA guy who comes for installation comes with wall mounting brackets. These are swivel type so you can adjust the speaker angle. They cost 450/- each. Did u not get these installed at the time of setup? If not then better call that guy or service center and get those installed.

The YAMAHA guy who comes for installation comes with wall mounting brackets. These are swivel type so you can adjust the speaker angle. They cost 450/- each. Did u not get these installed at the time of setup? If not then better call that guy or service center and get those installed.

actually I had purchased it online, and yet its in transit, if possible can u plz show me the picture of mount bracket

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back