Just curious a question to all 32 inch tv owners

Kevian

Dear friends,

I was just wondering if you guys are experiencing any wide pictures when watching cable tv channels. DVD, Blu-Ray and PS3 games are doing exceptionally great. My mom keeps telling me that this anchor is not this fat..this anchor is not this chubby...Just wondering if this needs any tuning on TV or the receiver (onkyo 606) that upscales to 1080i or is it the cable service itself???

Sony has Wide Zoom, Zoom, Full and Normal settings
Onkyo has Full and Normal (Hardware>>HDMI>>Zoom Mode)

I tried few combinations but didn't get desired results. Currently I've connected my STB video out to TV Video in and STB audio out to receiver audio in (cable/sat). Is this something to live with or can be addressed?

I am using Hathway Cable services via Cisco set top box.

Moderatorji: Couldn't find any thread discussing this issue. Please merge this thread if I've missed it.

Thanks,
Naren

Edited: Resolved by changing the resolution to 720p on Onkyo. Sorry to bother you all.....Moderator can delete this thread.

^^^
Didn't help..sorry for so many edits

Last edited:
Not familiar with Hathway. Dont use zoom feature instead use stretch if there is such an option. ALso ensure your TV does the upsclaing. Set it to 720P on the TV and let the STB just passthrough the signal

Dear friends,

I was just wondering if you guys are experiencing any wide pictures when watching cable tv channels. DVD, Blu-Ray and PS3 games are doing exceptionally great. My mom keeps telling me that this anchor is not this fat..this anchor is not this chubby...Just wondering if this needs any tuning on TV or the receiver (onkyo 606) that upscales to 1080i or is it the cable service itself???

Sony has Wide Zoom, Zoom, Full and Normal settings
Onkyo has Full and Normal (Hardware>>HDMI>>Zoom Mode)

I tried few combinations but didn't get desired results. Currently I've connected my STB video out to TV Video in and STB audio out to receiver audio in (cable/sat). Is this something to live with or can be addressed?

I am using Hathway Cable services via Cisco set top box.

Moderatorji: Couldn't find any thread discussing this issue. Please merge this thread if I've missed it.

Thanks,
Naren

Hi,

The pictures do seem a bit fatter esp. when moving from a CRT to a LCD.
I have a Samsung 32" and Hathway digital. I have tried to change the STB settings but it doesnt help, there isnt a stretch option on the TV and zoom is not very good.

The reasons for this are twofold - one the quality of transmission fo the source channels are not meant for HD (720 or 1080p) and the second the aspect ratio is different from CRT which typically has a 4:3 ratio to the 16:9 in the LCD, so the std 4:3 image will look fatter.

To check the difference, try out channels like Nat Geo/Discovery/Animal Planet versus Star to find the difference. I am not sure if this will change in Tata Sky/any other DTH.

Hi,

The pictures do seem a bit fatter esp. when moving from a CRT to a LCD.
I have a Samsung 32" and Hathway digital. I have tried to change the STB settings but it doesnt help, there isnt a stretch option on the TV and zoom is not very good.

The reasons for this are twofold - one the quality of transmission fo the source channels are not meant for HD (720 or 1080p) and the second the aspect ratio is different from CRT which typically has a 4:3 ratio to the 16:9 in the LCD, so the std 4:3 image will look fatter.

To check the difference, try out channels like Nat Geo/Discovery/Animal Planet versus Star to find the difference. I am not sure if this will change in Tata Sky/any other DTH.

while I agree with you that the 4:3 ratio to 16:9 is indeed a problem, I have to reiterate that direct component connection between STB and TV gives me an acceptable picture but when upscaled via receiver at full zoom setting....it gets fat significantly. Probably Sky/BIG/Dish users are not experiencing the same....

Not familiar with Hathway. Dont use zoom feature instead use stretch if there is such an option. ALso ensure your TV does the upsclaing. Set it to 720P on the TV and let the STB just passthrough the signal

Thank you for responding Marsy. I'll go point by point

1) There is no stretch option on TV and AVR menus.

2) I checked each and every option of TV menu. I could not find any option to set the resolution manually. I guess TV adjusts itself as per the incoming signal feed. And I do have 4:3 setting on TV menu, but when TV gets the hdmi signal from AVR, that particular option is greyed out. (TV in question is Sony Bravia KLV 32s400a)

3) STB is a junk..doesn't have any upscaling feature..so its passthrough always.

Forgive me if I've spoken some utter rubbish. Trying to familiarize myself with all this.

Thanks,
Naren

well unfortunately none of the DTH providers give video in 16:9,despite having the option in the STB.the only DTH providers who gives in 16:9 again only HD ch.
in ur sony if u plan on streching it u will need to use the FULL mode,which streches the image without out loosing or overshooting the sceen.
if u wan't to maintain the aspect ratio,u will need to go for ZOOM mode,but u will loose some parts of the video,since it will overshoot the screen area.
when u use full mode,in channels like WB and UTV,atleast in big tv they would look exactly like a 16:9,but offcourse with quality loss due to upscaling.

well unfortunately none of the DTH providers give video in 16:9,despite having the option in the STB.the only DTH providers who gives in 16:9 again only HD ch.
in ur sony if u plan on streching it u will need to use the FULL mode,which streches the image without out loosing or overshooting the sceen.
if u wan't to maintain the aspect ratio,u will need to go for ZOOM mode,but u will loose some parts of the video,since it will overshoot the screen area.
when u use full mode,in channels like WB and UTV,atleast in big tv they would look exactly like a 16:9,but offcourse with quality loss due to upscaling.

Hi,

A small tip........ Please do not use a FULL HD TV to watch Indian cable channels...... and it is nothing to do with the DTH providers to give 16:9 video. In India all TV stuffs are shot at 4:3, so no matter what ever you try, they will not be properly displayed on a FULL HD TV. For more info on why not to use FULL HD TV to watch Indian cable channels.... refer my reply to this link.

http://www.hifivision.com/television/6316-caution-hd-ready-vs-full-hd-32-inch-3.html

And I dont understand the concept of buying a FULL HD TV and using it to watch non HD contents.
Many of them do this.

cheers
thanks.

Last edited:
Hi,

A small tip........ Please do not use a FULL HD TV to watch Indian cable channels...... and it is nothing to do with the DTH providers to give 16:9 video. In India all TV stuffs are shot at 4:3, so no matter what ever you try, they will not be properly displayed on a FULL HD TV. For more info on why not to use FULL HD TV to watch Indian cable channels.... refer my reply to this link.

http://www.hifivision.com/television/6316-caution-hd-ready-vs-full-hd-32-inch-3.html

And I dont understand the concept of buying a FULL HD TV and using it to watch non HD contents.

cheers
thanks.

well FHD or HD ready as nothing to with aspect ratio problem,today many are being shot in 16:9 cameras,which is then cropped to 4:3.

well FHD or HD ready as nothing to with aspect ratio problem,today many are being shot in 16:9 cameras,which is then cropped to 4:3.

well may be......... but I had a chance to attend some shoots for TV serials in Mumbai, and found out that they were still shooting at 4:3........may be a rare case.
But i'm against watching a non-HD content in a FULL HD TV, that's my opinion.

And when they are shot at 16:9, then why not broadcast it at 16:9?

thanks,

Last edited:
And when they are shot at 16:9, then why not broadcast it at 16:9?

thanks,

well do note a vast majority of india still has the old crts,the lcd and plasma owners are just a fraction.

Last edited:
I also have 32s400a and as per the technician the recommended view is "wide zoom" and I find everything fine with my cable reception. Cannot comment on AVR/STB processing though.

Thanks.

Hi Aneelr,

I agree that I am one among "them" who use HD Ready or FHD to watch non-HD content, but what to do saar...this poor soul likes to watch sports, NGC, History, Discovery, Animal Planet types channels on affordable big screens, and it doesn't make any sense for me to buy 29 or 32 inch CRT TVs while LEDs,LCDs and Plasmas are ruling the market. I was just wondering if there is any stop gap setting which converts 4:3 to 16:9 till HD channels are relayed--thats all brother.

Thanks,
Naren

Hi Aneelr,

I agree that I am one among "them" who use HD Ready or FHD to watch non-HD content, but what to do saar...this poor soul likes to watch sports, NGC, History, Discovery, Animal Planet types channels on affordable big screens, and it doesn't make any sense for me to buy 29 or 32 inch CRT TVs while LEDs,LCDs and Plasmas are ruling the market. I was just wondering if there is any stop gap setting which converts 4:3 to 16:9 till HD channels are relayed--thats all brother.

Thanks,
Naren

Hi Naren,

All Sports related stuffs, NGC, HISTORY, DISCOVERY, ANIMAL PLANET stuffs are available for download from various websites in 1080p res. So dwnload them and utilise your FHD TV to the max by watching them, and if you are staying in B'lore........ check your PM

cheers

I also have 32s400a and as per the technician the recommended view is "wide zoom" and I find everything fine with my cable reception. Cannot comment on AVR/STB processing though.

Thanks.

in wide zoom u will loose some picture.

Adder, when it comes to klv 32s400a, I think "Full" & "Zoom" setting will not show complete picture. "Wide Zoom" fattens the picture while "Normal" setting gives us the default picture with black stripes on either side of the picture frame....

Adder, when it comes to klv 32s400a, I think "Full" & "Zoom" setting will not show complete picture. "Wide Zoom" fattens the picture while "Normal" setting gives us the default picture with black stripes on either side of the picture frame....

well the FULL will give u the complete picture.try it out.
yes in normal u get the black bars,but the picture is sharper.

Hi,

I was just trying to convert(not croping) between 4:3 to 16:9 formats and vice versa , in the latter case there is a SQUASH while in the former there is a STRETCH. If you try to crop then you are losing image data. So, according to the above observations I guess cropping is not a good idea and also not been done in Indian TV industry.

cheers.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back