Just curious! who is buying Hyundai / Haier / Onida etc

god2007

Officially I am in the look out for a good 42" plasma and is foraging shops in Kochi. During the search I have seen many LCDs of 42 inch size by Onida, Hyundai, Videocon, Haier, Lloyd etc which are full HD and comparatively very cheap. For example at BISMI one Haier 42" full HD LCD is offered at 36 K with four year warranty. It has opened all the files on the USB ( many formats and sizes) while the panasonic 42U39D could open only a few of them. At another shop "NEXT" one Hyundai model again 42 inch full HD was offered at 32,000/- . The pic quality of both are seem good in my view. Some models of videocon and onida also is going cheap. But even the salesmen in the shops seem to push their sales. They are very eager to sell a sony or samsung. Many in the real world also discouraging purchase of them citing service and warranty problem.

42 inch TVs and RS. 30K- 40K is not peanuts and 42 inch TVs are not bought by ordinary people. Then who is buying these sets ?

people do buy and these companies as lcd is their new venture... prices are very low..

they are competetive in size but not in technology.. just to increase the market share these companies buy pre-made panels and re brand them.... the reduced prices work on bulk buy from the mother company.. also the retailers do not get much profit out of these.. samsung you can bargain.. as retailers gets a good amount of profit...

just like godrej selling re- branded lloyd ac's and still low in price....

samsung , lg , pana they have got their own r&d dept.. these companies are just working the DELL way.. assemble.. stamp and sell....

dell has been selling lexmark printers since a decade under their name.. best part is lesser price than lexmark...

People familiar with Philip Kotler would recall that he wrote in one of his marketing management books about how Haier took on larger US brands like Whirlpool and GE in the early 90's and established itself in the US market. That's no easy task.

Haier products are 100% VFM plus offer longer guarantee periods. Their quality control are comparable to some Korean brands.

Ditto for Hyundai taking on Maruti(Suzuki) in India. Considering that a lot of big names do their mfg in China, I think the way technology has spread across borders is resulting in VFM for us customers. I have a Benq full HD for a year now and am quite happy with it, and wouldnt hesitate to recommend it.

................................. I have a Benq full HD for a year now and am quite happy with it, and wouldnt hesitate to recommend it.

I myself is using a AOC 22" full HD LED monitor for the pas tthree months and is satisfied with it. But it was for Rs.7.2K and the present investment is in the range of 30k - 40K . So is it worth while to purchase an Hyundai / Llotd / Haier at this price ?.
Does any body have purchased one ? (particularly 42") What is the experience ?

GeorgeO, can you please give a review on viewing angle range and color quality of the Benq 37"?

I may consider replacing our 29" CRT and 37" is the max size that fits in the cabinet. Only Samsung and Benq seem to have a 37" option and both seem to have AMVA panels

Last edited:
GeorgeO, can you please give a review on viewing angle range and color quality of the Benq 37"?

I may consider replacing our 29" CRT and 37" is the max size that fits in the cabinet. Only Samsung and Benq seem to have a 37" option and both seem to have AMVA panels

Before going for less popular brands, you have to weigh in the possibility of getting service. Although modern LCDs / plasmas require not much service, there is no 100% trouble free sets. This is not an issue in large cities. In smaller cities and towns you may require to carry the set yourself to the service provider in the nearby city to get prompt service. I myself is living 40 KM out of Kochi city. Hence I am unable to buy the Hundai / Haier etc, even though I am satisfied with the pic quality and price and despite the fact that they are giving 3 / 4 years warrenty. Carrying a 42 inch set require a four wheeler and cost of carrying for two such services nullifies the price advantage.

I have a 32'' Haier LCD for the past 1 year. The PQ is just about okay. Use it only to watch Tata Sky and ends up being the most used of all TVs in my household. Planning to get a HD STB for it, let's see if the PQ improves...

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back