Keeping your cassette deck healthy!

greenhorn

This topic popped up elsewhere in the forum, but thought this deserves a thread here.

Folks with cassette decks - their capstan drive motors are mostly on all the time. If you leave your cassette deck on the time the rest of your system is on, you are increasing the wear and tear. If your deck has a typical 12V DC CCW motor, then it might not be a big deal as replacement motors are still available, but for those decks with exotic motors, you might want to give it a bit more thought to turning it on when you don't need it!

Slightly off topic. I have two cassette deck where the pick up wheel is not functioning because the 'O' ring is dried up. Can anyone tell me where I can get different sizes of O rings?

i'd say to keep your cassette deck in top shape, do the following (not in any particular order):

1) keep a cassette in the pocket all the time, this would prevent dust from entering the head assembly
2) keep the deck in a dust free environment
3) keep playing it once in a while, atleast once every 2 or 3 days (not just rewind and fast foward)
4) use good tapes, don't use cleaned or old tapes
5) keep the deck switched off when not in use
6) do not attempt DIY on these, unless you are qualified to do so
7) try not to over load the inputs
8) you'd be tempted to take your deck outdoors for recordings, avoid doing so
9) if something goes wrong, stay away from local spares (use only OEM spares)
10) clean the R/P and Erase heads carefully, using the right techniques, keep the capstan clean
11) clean the pinch roller only when necessary, use proper cleaning methods for the same
12) try your best to avoid using cleaners with alcohol base
13) keep your cassettes in a dust-free and dry cupboard, caring for your cassettes is important for the equipment as well
14) consider your cassette deck as an important source, play good recordings, the more you love your deck, the better you'll take care of it :)

i'd say to keep your cassette deck in top shape, do the following (not in any particular order):

1) keep a cassette in the pocket all the time, this would prevent dust from entering the head assembly
2) keep the deck in a dust free environment
3) keep playing it once in a while, atleast once every 2 or 3 days (not just rewind and fast foward)
4) use good tapes, don't use cleaned or old tapes
5) keep the deck switched off when not in use
6) do not attempt DIY on these, unless you are qualified to do so
7) try not to over load the inputs
8) you'd be tempted to take your deck outdoors for recordings, avoid doing so
9) if something goes wrong, stay away from local spares (use only OEM spares)
10) clean the R/P and Erase heads carefully, using the right techniques, keep the capstan clean
11) clean the pinch roller only when necessary, use proper cleaning methods for the same
12) try your best to avoid using cleaners with alcohol base
13) keep your cassettes in a dust-free and dry cupboard, caring for your cassettes is important for the equipment as well
14) consider your cassette deck as an important source, play good recordings, the more you love your deck, the better you'll take care of it :)

Very well detailed.Should be followed like a Bible.Thank you so very much.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back