KEF R300 Demo unit

Nah. I am just to lazy to do further experimentation. I am OK with shifting and syncing my HDD every once in a while for new content.

One question though.
If the media player is outputting digital via OPT and laptop via USB and these are going through a DAC (which I feel is good enough for me), what advantage does RPi bring in? Streaming?
Pi still has to output OPT/USB/COAX correct? I am a firm believer in cabling down.
Most of my music collection is FLAC or high bit-rate MP3. When FLAC it is 16/44.1 (my own rips) and 24/96 torrent DLs.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
Nah. I am just to lazy to do further experimentation. I am OK with shifting and syncing my HDD every once in a while for new content.

One question though.
If the media player is outputting digital via OPT and laptop via USB and these are going through a DAC (which I feel is good enough for me), what advantage does RPi bring in? Streaming?
Pi still has to output OPT/USB/COAX correct? I am a firm believer in cabling down.
Most of my music collection is FLAC or high bit-rate MP3. When FLAC it is 16/44.1 (my own rips) and 24/96 torrent DLs.

Cheers,
Raghu

Honestly it's hard to say it, or even exactly describe what's going on. Only thing is that the results show for themselves.

I have no idea how a $35 Raspberry Pi is beating my over $2000 PC build in audio playback, but it is. I don't buy into the usual audiophile snake oil claims, I don't use any power cleaning products, I use stock cables for all of my equipment, and I attribute less than 1% importance to anything other than the source, the amplification, and the speakers. I don't even bother much with room treatment. If anything, I am a music lover who is as far away as possible from the tag audiophile.

So believe me when I say I am the last person who will be touting the Raspberry Pi as some audiophile grade device. Till the music reaches the DAC everything is in the digital domain, whether it be a PC, a Pi, a NAS, a Mac, etc. and technically everything should sound the same. All DACs do the same thing, conversion from digital to analog, and so should sound the same. But in real life everything sounds different and adds its own color to the music.

PS: Lazy is not an excuse, you are doing yourself and especially the speakers a great disservice if you are not optimizing the chain. The Raspberry Pi makes for an excellent source (I have no reason why other than to assume it's because of isolation from electrical interference or maybe Linux makes for better sound quality), but it just is. The KEF's will really shine (IMHO) with a Pi rather than "Asus MP/Onkyo CD-DVD/Laptop".

PS: I believe I've already answered "what advantage does RPi bring in" in my previous post.

First impressions (visual and physical only)
Just got the carton home and unpacked it. These speakers are big and heavy for bookshelves. Yet there are not awkward looking. Piano black finish is good but will be a pain to maintain. Interestingly they have magnetic grill; no holes or screws visible on front.
They look better without the grill; but in India with dust it is better to leave them on. Need to get a loose fitting cover for them when not in use.
Yet to hook up and play them.

Cheers,
Raghu

First impressions (visual and physical only)
Just got the carton home and unpacked it. These speakers are big and heavy for bookshelves. Yet there are not awkward looking. Piano black finish is good but will be a pain to maintain. Interestingly they have magnetic grill; no holes or screws visible on front.
They look better without the grill; but in India with dust it is better to leave them on. Need to get a loose fitting cover for them when not in use.
Yet to hook up and play them.

Cheers,
Raghu

waiting for your reviews... May I know where you located in Bangalore?

Did a casual audition this evening for about 3 hours.
Details of the setup, listening room and tune set
Chain:
Asus MP --> Schiit Modi-2-Uber --> Marantz PM7001 --> Outlaw M2200 x 2 --> KEF R300
Marantz was in source direct mode (no tone controls) and volume between 9-10 O'clock. Since the speakers were demo units at a showroom, I will give them the benefit of doubt and assume they have been played enough.

Listening room:
- 12' x 12' in an L-shaped living/dining area
- no special room treatment
- 3+1+1 fabric sofas facing the speakers
- AV cum display unit at the back of speakers (pic in post #5 of this thread)
- distance between speakers: approx 7 feet
- distance between speaker plane and listening plane: approx 6-7 feet
- speakers placed on make shift stands (18" plastic stool + 4" plastic foot stool + 4 books); Uni-Q tweeter at approx 38 inches height
- free space in front and sides; some clutter at the back (see above mentioned pic); they were placed in front of where the older speakers were (speakers removed)
- all said, nowhere near to ideal listening area
Tune set (sample picks from):
Blues (Albert King, BB King)
70s/80s/90s Rock (Clapton, JJ Cale, Dire Straits, Tull, Ben Harper)
Hard Rock (Led Zepp, Deep Purple, Metallica, Iron Maiden)
R&B/Pop (Nina Simone, Annie Lennox, Rufus Wainwright, Tori Amos, Adele, Lenny Cohen)
Western Classical (Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner, Joe Hisaishi)
Indian - this needs a serious and dedicated session

My initial aural impressions
- Vocals were strong and clear; near center imaging with tracks containing minimal instrumentation
- Instrument separation is very evident with some degree of layering
- Strings, flute and drum clicks heard distinctly without dismemberment from the music set
- Electric guitars were smooth and clear
- On some acoustic guitar tracks, it was nice to hear the finger movement along strings
- Bass drum and base guitar were controlled and in level with the music set
- Boom observed when I placed the speakers in the cubby hole (these puppies need air around them)
- On many tracks the speakers seemed to disappear

On vocals + string or minimal music KEFs really do shine; they get their act together very well with mids and highs with out causing any discomfort.
On tracks with base, they really need to be in free space; otherwise boom can be heard and it is uncomfortable after 2-3 mins. Have not yet had a chance to play tracks with serious base and variations.
When thrown western classical with lots of dynamic range, they can go from whisper quiet to full ensemble without breaking a sweat.
On hard rock and metal numbers, they do not kick up an unholy ruckus if given air.
Stands are a must for these; I may get away with keeping them in cubby hole for movies. I feel they can go up to 8-9 feet separation in my listening room with proper stands.

All this said, my conclusion after this first session is:
"These gentlemen from Kent are elegant, smooth and classy when they get to play strings, vocals and classical music sets. Much like English royalty. Throw hard rock music at them, and they will not be shy to reveal their true rowdy Anglo-Saxon nature. I would not be surprised if they start behaving like drunk Brits at a football game when asked to play base heavy/electric music and no breathing space"

More later. Maybe with just the Marantz PM7001 and Marantz NR1605.

Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks to all FMs who shared their views, reviews and experiences on the product/shipping related queries raised by me.

Special thanks to SatMumbai for a spot-on review of KEF R300. Today I could really hear what he was trying to convey about KEF R300s.

I am convinced that my music chain is now complete.

Cheers,
Raghu

waiting for your reviews... May I know where you located in Bangalore?

Paramesh,
Just replied to your PM with mobile number and location.
I don't know if my PMs are going thru; they never show up in my sent or replied folders. If you got my PM, ping me via SMS on mobile.
Cheers,
Raghu

Paramesh,
I don't know if my PMs are going thru; they never show up in my sent or replied folders. If you got my PM, ping me via SMS on mobile.
Cheers,
Raghu

The PMs reflect in Sent only when u tick the 'Save copy of this message in your Sent items folder' option below while sending message.

I had the same doubt while sending messages first and found that.

Thanks
Satya

Paramesh,
Cheers,
Raghu

Hi Raghu,
Ya, I got your PM :) .

Here are some pics of the set up and listening area.

Before you lynch me, 2 pairs of stands are in the pipeline :) (maybe in a couple of months).
The larger speakers (KEF R300s) sound much better when given breathing space
The smaller speakers (BW DM303s) will do surrounds duty when I get stands.
With 2 mutts at home, no room for negotiation on the listening sweet spot.

Cheers,
Raghu

Attachments

• IMG_1624.JPG
    IMG_1624.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_1628.JPG
    IMG_1628.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
am sure music is sweeter with the ones you love including your family and the pets.

I would rather have it with them than without them.

and a couple of pegs of single malt helps in broadening the sound-stage and setting the focus correctly :)

njoi !

regards

mpw - completely agree with you.
Today the human members of family are not at home to grab the listening/TV space.

My resident "music appreciation students" make for a very good silent company; occasional snoring apart :)

The mutts and I are enjoying a lazy Saturday listening to albums of Steven Wilson's music. Porcupine Tree mostly, interspersed with his efforts on IEM, Bass Communion & Blackfield.

Cheers,
Raghu

It was a pleasure hosting fellow HFV member Paramesh at home. I got to listen to his Luxman amp. Really nice and detailed sound.
Paramesh, please elaborate on your equipment and for the benefit of other FMs, give your views on R300s.

Cheers,
Raghu

They Puppies look stunning (Living once and which make us Living :))

You Have everything right there other than a Stands and some time to make them properly arranged.

Luxman's Sounds fantastic, I had chance to listen them (Entry level) with my Sansui's and Luxman were so neutral and warm Sansui's were powerful.

All the best for your new set-up, Good to know that they have reached in good shape.

It was a pleasure hosting fellow HFV member Paramesh at home. I got to listen to his Luxman amp. Really nice and detailed sound.
Paramesh, please elaborate on your equipment and for the benefit of other FMs, give your views on R300s.

Cheers,
Raghu

Sorry to late reply,Yes I have visited raghu location . I have checked with my Luxman L2 amp with maverick d2 dac. I am not true audio person.coming to sound open vocals and very detailing music.Bass is enough and deep.I can say single word they are look like BS but sound like FS..

Thanks Raghu

Are those bulldogs? (I know you said mutts but want to ask nevertheless). I am a dog person and had many on our farm. Now my son is behind me for one and i don't want to get one unless we can give enough attention to him (the wife and i have demanding work schedules).

Finally got stands. An FM in town had barely used Sound Foundation stands with pre-filled sand for sale. They are at 24" and complement the speakers very well (sonic and visual).

On a side note. Magma, your craftsmanship is impressive and elegant.

Cheers,
Raghu

An updated pic. Very messy but wonderful sounding (my brain tells me so).
Got an afternoon and late evening to myself at home.
Enjoying tunes via Media Player and CD Player.
I decided to hear out some CD albums (the old fashioned way)

Cheers,
Raghu

Attachments

• IMG_2161.jpg
    IMG_2161.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 65
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back