Kef Uni-Q driver - voice coil rub?

superczar

I recently hooked up One of my old speakers (KEF iQ5 ) recently but to my display, one of the mid/high drivers seems to have a very minor distortion which is esp noticeable at low volumes

I checked the drivers and there seems to be a tiny bit of coil rub when the diaphragm is pushed from one angle (6PM angle)
if i apply a very light touch to the opposite side (12 PM angle) with my hands when the speakers are playing, the distortion disappears.

The drivers don't seem to be in stock anywhere so replacement seems difficult
Getting them repaired at a local shop is probably only going to make it worse
Any thoughts or suggestions - The driver looks like this:
s-l500.jpg

Did you call up pro fx Bangalore? They had the drivers in stock till early last year. I got the tweeters in my iQ5 replaced from them.

MaSh

My kef floorstander Q500 has similar issue. Profx Cochin doesn’t have spare to repair. The issue propped up after a long break during which speakers were unused. Not sure if it’s dry solder or blown woofer

How much did they charge per woofer?

I changed only the tweeter inside the UniQ driver. I think the tweeter was around 2500/- each. We are lucky we get them separately. Ther drivers in the Q series are a single unit. So if the tweeter blows, one has to change the entire UniQ driver costing a lot.

You could try calling: 080-22112043, 08032970853

MaSh

I changed only the tweeter inside the UniQ driver. I think the tweeter was around 2500/- each. We are lucky we get them separately. Ther drivers in the Q series are a single unit. So if the tweeter blows, one has to change the entire UniQ driver costing a lot.

You could try calling: 080-22112043, 08032970853

MaSh
Yes. I saw online, parts going around Rs 10000 per woofer/tweeter unit. Thanks for the contact info. Will check it out.

Oh well, guess I got a little lucky
I opened up the driver, desoldered and removed the tweeter and messed around with the mid-range could alignment till the rub disappeared

Tested it now and the SQ and imaging seem t be as good as before

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back