KEF vs B&W?

ElDuderino

Hi guys! Long time lurker, but am finally setting up my dedicated home theater. My room size is 25' X 15'. I have shortlisted 2 sets-

1. KEF Q900 + Q600c
2. B&W 683 S2 + HTM62

I'll be using the system 70% for TV shows, Hollywood movies, 20% for Bollywood movies and 10% for music.

Considering cost as not the deciding factor, which ones are better- KEF or B&W?

Thanks for your time,
El Duderino

Hi guys! Long time lurker, but am finally setting up my dedicated home theater. My room size is 25' X 15'. I have shortlisted 2 sets-

1. KEF Q900 + Q600c
2. B&W 683 S2 + HTM62

I'll be using the system 70% for TV shows, Hollywood movies, 20% for Bollywood movies and 10% for music.

Thanks for your time,
El Duderino

Well if your choice is 10% is music only, then I would suggest you better not to go for FS speakers. Rather buy a very good sub in this price and go for bookshelf speakers. For TV show FS will be an overkill.

Next what is the source of your Hollywood movies? Is it what telecasted in movie channels or you have your personal Blu-Ray collection. If it is a anything other than HD well you won't get the output you are looking for.

My source will be a mix of Blu-rays and DVDs for movies, torrents for TV shows. It is a dedicated home theater, so would need towers.

I just need a comparison between the 2 sets, because I spent a lot of time narrowing it down. I would really appreciate if you could keep the discussion to the selected 2. :)

Also, I forgot to add that I am taking 2 SVS SB-1000.

1. KEF Q900 + Q600c
2. B&W 683 S2 + HTM62

Thanks for your time,
El Duderino

Hi El Duderino
How can we say which brand is better? Only a dealer (if he has good audio knowledge) can judge both brands back to back. In my opinion please go to nearest audio dealer, then judge very carefully...you said cost is not the deciding factor. So sales person may help to correct view...

Hi El Duderino
How can we say which brand is better? Only a dealer (if he has good audio knowledge) can judge both brands back to back. In my opinion please go to nearest audio dealer, then judge very carefully...you said cost is not the deciding factor. So sales person may help to correct view...

There are 2 different vendors, and both are obviously trying to sell their products. Every cobbler praises his own leather, right! :lol:

I just wanted to know if anyone has experienced the 2 systems, and could compare them.

If I speak in terms of hardware quality, which ones would be better in the long run?

What is the AVR you use?

IMO, I preferred the B&W's to the KEF's, as the KEF lacked bass. Bought the B&W to enjoy music, but these speakers shine when watching movies. just a little heads up, the sound signature varies a lot, when testing in a showroom to a house which is not acoustically treated. The B&W's sometimes feel like they need a really large room otherwise its it'll be like throwing everything on your face, its harsh at times.(my room size 20X20) they also need an amp which can handle low impedance, this speaker requires a lot of power to drive.

hope the above info is of some help.

Cheers & Happy hunting

Both brands have good and bad speakers. R series from KEF are much better than 600 series from B&W. But 600 series is much cheaper. I don't like Q series from KEF though. PM1 from B&W are excellent. Did you audition them?

There are 2 different vendors, and both are obviously trying to sell their products. Every cobbler praises his own leather, right! :lol:

I just wanted to know if anyone has experienced the 2 systems, and could compare them.

If I speak in terms of hardware quality, which ones would be better in the long run?

KEF have amazing clarity, but sound can be bright for some peoples. My humble suggestion is that you listen to either you with another person. Everyone have different musical taste. So I already mentioned, you'll have to audition yourself.
KEF usually have better on all the frequency responses than B&W. But in subjectively all speakers are good, that's why we all have different speakers...

For the said model of the kef
The b&w will eat it for breakfast in most departments

MOVE HIgher up in kef if you want a good kef

I guess I will stick with the B&Ws. Obviously higher I go, more confusing it'll be. I will close the deal this week.

I have another question. Don't want to start another thread, so will ask here.
YUrBP8i.jpg

This is the 3D model of my theater. I started off with Klipsch. Found them very poor.

Could you guys suggest the location for rear surrounds? The columns can be changed. Should I use dipoles or bookshelf?

KEF have amazing clarity, but sound can be bright for some peoples. My humble suggestion is that you listen to either you with another person. Everyone have different musical taste. So I already mentioned, you'll have to audition yourself.
KEF usually have better on all the frequency responses than B&W. But in subjectively all speakers are good, that's why we all have different speakers...
Yes. Agreed. Listen to them yourself. And don't worry about listening with the amp that you will be using. It is a lot of work and differences in speakers will be evident with any good amp. If you did not like ls50 (compared to B&W) with arcam you would not like it with Hegel.

I guess I will stick with the B&Ws. Obviously higher I go, more confusing it'll be. I will close the deal this week.

YUrBP8i.jpg

This is the 3D model of my theater. I started off with Klipsch. Found them very poor.

Could you guys suggest the location for rear surrounds? The columns can be changed. Should I use dipoles or bookshelf?

I have a similar sized dedicated HT room. I stared with KEFs and then later moved to Klipsch Ref series. I never found KEFs to be as "exciting" as Klipsch for movies. With the relatively higher sensitivity, Klipsch can fill my room much better and with 50% power compared to KEFs. For music, I still use my old KEF iQ7, older Q series. I felt Klipsch to be too harsh for music.

The main deciding factor for Klipsch was its super high sensitivity and it worked well for me.

Rest of my chain is Oppo 105 + Emotive UMC200 + XPA200 + UPA500 + 2 x Velodyne EQMax 12

What ever main speakers you choose, I would strongly recommend getting 2 or more Sub woofers for HT. It totally worth it.

YUrBP8i.jpg

Hello
Two or more surround speakers that go behind or beside your seating area. Most of the people using bookshelf speakers or specified bipolar speakers for their surrounds.
One thing always listen ''speaker's frequency 80/100-20 khz is the best for surrounds''.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back