Klipsch RF62 / RF82 + Marantz SR6006

singh_mp

Hi,

Need some advice. I am in Mumbai and looking to set up HT system - component by component. To start with, I am looking for pair of tower / floor standing speakers and a amp/receiver. My room will be 21"X15" (Length X Width). My budget for the first leg of investment (2FS +AVR) was initially about 1 lakh and I can extend it to 1.5 or so (only if needed and have compelling value to do so).

I have auditioned Kef, Jamo, Klipsch, Polk for speakers along with combination of Marantz and Denon amps. Final shortlist as of now is Klipsch speakers RF82, follwed by Klipsch RF62. Klipsch RF82 final price is about 1L and RF62 final price is being quoted abot Rs 70K. On Amp, I am inclined with Marantz SR 6006 (about Rs 60K). Need help on following:

a. Klipsch RF62 vs RF82 argument. RF82 did sound better but is it worth spending Rs 30K extra?
b. Are prices mentioned here in correct range / ball-park. Want to make sure I get a fair deal.
c. Any thoughts on amp. Will Marantz SR6006 be an overkill if I do go down with Klipsch RF62? Any alternatives in that case?
d. Should I be auditioning something else given my budget criteria? Is there soemthing must to audition missing from my list to get a fair idea of choices and final verdict?

Thanks a ton for help and guidance.
-Mahesh

Hi Friends, would really appreciate some advice here. Please help.
Thanks in anticipation.
- Mahesh

I am not aware of the pricing of Klipsch speakers. So i will leave it for the other FM to comment on it.

Both the speakers are of very high efficieny/sensitivty - RF62 - 97db / RF82 - 98db. So little to very little power is required for ampliciation & Marantz should be able to drive these speakers very easily.

But keep in mind, both are rear ported speakers, so if you finalise on them, you need to keep them away from the rear wall to get the best out of it. effect.

Among the foreign brands, i think you have missed out on Wharfedale diamond series. Check their diamond 10 Series range family products. You have Diamond 10.7 Floor standing speaker. Also you have PSB Speaker Image / Alpha range & other speakers from the same family.

If you are open to Indian brands, try the Sonodyne Sonus range. You might end up saving atleast 40K from your budget for the complete HT package.

RF-52s best price was quoted at ~47k to me 8-9 months back. With the rupee weakening, it may have gone up by ~10%. So I would say RF-62s at 70k seem to be at a premium over the next immediate model i.e. RF-52s.

I second John's opinion on the combo being bright but then I presume that combo sounds good for your music?

As for other possible combos ... NAD 356 + PSB T6, Marantz 7004 + Jamo D590s, CA 651 (?) + Monitor Audio RX6, Marantz 7004 + Paradigm Studio 60s, CA (?) + MS Mezzo 6 etc. And plus quite a few others as rest of the folks will mention. However all of the combos will be more than 1 L but hopefully less than 1.4 L. But I am sure all of them sound yummy :)

Klipsh are defitnitely good speakers but coupling it with marantz should bring them some warmth as marantz are not that bright. Make sure you have heard enough range of speakers to come to Klipsh as your choice. I hope you have heard Rti from Polk and Concert series of Jamo. If Klipsh suits your taste among all, then go for Klipsh itself. The best thing about Klipsh is their Horn tweeters, you wouldnt miss any beat of the songs while playing them. Not sure how good they are for movies though.

I am gonna give a total biased verdict..

Klipschs are a sweet deal.. provided they are driven by the right source.. Marantz/Yamaha (I ve personally experienced)

-Happy Klipsch user :)

I agree with rud3dawg, Klipsch are fine sounding speakers. And they match reasonably well with Yamaha/Denon/Marantz. Which combination one will like depends on the individual. Try it with various amp, with all settings kept at default and get a feel of the resulting sound signature. It's just down to which combination would you like.

Power-wise, there isn't much of difference in entry level AVRs (except Harman Kardon, which pumps out more power). So, power-wise they will all suffice.

... Not sure how good they are for movies though.

They work very well for movies! I loved their movie experience as they bring awesome bass with them. I back tracked due to the extreme brightness for my kind of music with their horn tweeters. Very fatiguing after listening to them for 1.5 hrs at a stretch.

Only aspect that I need to revalidate on Klipsch like most you have highlighted is does it cause ear fatigue for long hours of listening. I must have spent only about 20-30 minutes listening those in few combinations and till that time it was ok. I have now also auditioned Monitor rx6 and rx8. Will you say monitor and Klipsch are probably two extremes? Laid back vs bright? I will do some more audition over the weekend and hope I will be lot closer to a decision. Thanks again.

- Mahesh

Only aspect that I need to revalidate on Klipsch like most you have highlighted is does it cause ear fatigue for long hours of listening. I must have spent only about 20-30 minutes listening those in few combinations and till that time it was ok. I have now also auditioned Monitor rx6 and rx8. Will you say monitor and Klipsch are probably two extremes? Laid back vs bright? I will do some more audition over the weekend and hope I will be lot closer to a decision. Thanks again.

- Mahesh

Monitor Audio are considered to reasonably bright - when I say reasonably, I mean it in a good way. Some people like sparkle in their music (like me) and such "reasonable" brightness sounds nice to one's ears. But I would say if Klipsch are one end of the spectrum than Wharfdales are the other end! Wharfies are very warm speakers (except for Diamond 10.6 as per some) and for me, they were just plain muddy when paired with Yamaha 571.

For Klipsch, yes, do make sure you listen to them for at least 1 hr. My first audition of RF-52s was 20 odd minutes and these speakers zoomed to the top of my wishlist. The next demo was for 1.5 hrs and then I truly understood the fatigue when I followed up the Klipsch demo with the PSB T6 demo (back to back). The T6s were literally balm to my ear drums :D

Hi,

Thanks for all your inputs. I have been auditioning more speaker brands and till now have covered PSB, Monitor, Paradigm, Wharfedale, Jamo, and Klipsch. Like most of you have said, all are good brands and it is sort of coming down to personal preference and Klipsch is sort of first preference which I am likely to go with. So set up will likely be pair of Klipsch rf82ii floor standing speakers + Marantz SR6006 AVR. Costing me about 1.5L. Hoping to close in next week. Few questions:

a. I am also thinking about getting a center channel Klipsch RC 62ii in phase 1 now, leaving surround and subwoofer for later? Would you see any merit in getting center channel now or should it only be looked at along with surround and sub? I was largely thinking for center channel for TV/Dialogue bit now. My TV has very bad audio.
b. Has anyone used Marantz SR6006 airplay / network feature? Can I connect AVR over wifi or do I necessarily need to use a LAN cable? That will determine network wiring because my net connection is at different place than where my HT component will be. With what I could gather, it seems I have to have a Lan cable connected to AVR and wireless may not work.
c. Any suggestions for source / player to go with this set up please?
d. Lastly, is there a merit in additionally investing in an entry level stereo amp for dedicated music listening? I will avoid it unless there is a meaningful impact / difference it will make (as opposed to AVR for music) and is something within less than Rs. 20K. I eventually will have a 5.1 setup and hence will anyway need AVR. Can think of a stero amp if it makes a hell of difference and is within Rs 20k at max.

Thanks a ton.

Hi,
... Few questions:

a. I am also thinking about getting a center channel Klipsch RC 62ii in phase 1 now, leaving surround and subwoofer for later? Would you see any merit in getting center channel now or should it only be looked at along with surround and sub? I was largely thinking for center channel for TV/Dialogue bit now. My TV has very bad audio.

If it is for the TV sound, then just make sure you TV content provider provides channels in multi-channel mode. From what I know, TataSky's HD channels are supposedly 5.1 but not the SD content (plain stereo). So the center won't be of much help on the SD channels.

BUT, for the movie viewing purpose (say on BD/DVD), a center will help a lot even if you forego the sourrounds.

I just use my 2.0 set up for the TV sound and it sounds infintely better than the original TV sound. The simple set up works for me.

d. Lastly, is there a merit in additionally investing in an entry level stereo amp for dedicated music listening? I will avoid it unless there is a meaningful impact / difference it will make (as opposed to AVR for music) and is something within less than Rs. 20K. I eventually will have a 5.1 setup and hence will anyway need AVR. Can think of a stero amp if it makes a hell of difference and is within Rs 20k at max.

Thanks a ton.

With RF-82s, I doubt you can get away with a "entry level" stereo amp. You will need at least an amp which does 60-70 w/channel (e.g. PM7004). A PM5004 will not cut it. If you are contrained by a budget of 20k, then save that 20k and don't bother about the stereo amp. A better alternative may be to invest in a decent CD player such as CD5004 which you will get within 20k. This will allow you to be better prepared for a stereo set-up down the line when you will need a good DAC outside the AVR set-up.

My suggestion is that you start out with the speakers of your choice and then move to a stereo amp. Now that you made up your mind about the RF 82s ii s firstly I am glad.. (I am somewhat of a Klipsch lover myself). Go for the Stereo amp with these in mind.. Taking into consideration that these are a pair of delightful, sweet Natural sounding speaker. (If you preference is inclined more towards music than movies) or an AVR (If its or inclined towards movies or sometimes even if its 50-50.) Then start hunting for the right AVR/AMP for the speakers.

Normally you cannot carry the speakers around to audition the amp so take your time and check out the combinations with Marantz and Yamaha (My Personal Choices), both of which along with a couple of Denons I have experienced paired with Klipschs.. and I agree with milestoneseeker regarding the driving power needed for the FS you cannot go for an entry level one.. try the middle order ones. An advantage for You is that the RF82s are very sensitive so easily drivable with am amp delivering (As milestoneseeker suggested) >100W would be my choice.

NOw about the Centre channel I think the 2.0 gives a fair amount of audio for the TV dialogs to be audible even though youd have to increase the volume level by 10dB but I would suggest you go for the Center Channel if possible.. and the RF-82s are such beauties that you 'd not be ina hurry for the SUB anytime soon.

About Airplay : .. sorry cant help you there I am trying to configure my FLACS to be played via network even now.. MP3s I can play comfortably

Suggestions: Marantz 7004, SR 5007,6007,7005/Yamaha Aventage 810,820,1010,1020 (I do not have a clue about the prices after Rupee value slump )

Just my 2 Cents.. hope I was helpful in anyway

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help and inputs so far. Some more questions on accessories/setup. Appreciate inputs:

1. Any recommendations / suggestions for cable will help. Any specific brand I should look for? Will 16 gauge speaker cable do or should I be looking 14/12 gauge? I will prefer a flat ribbon type as I will likely get it concealed. I will likely need about 80 feet of cables for 5.1 setup and a cost indication will help, if you can.

2. How much ventilation do I need for AVR. I am getting a wooden unit done but its a largely closed design. I need to provide ventilation grills / holes, particularly for AVR slot. I have read a bit on related threads on the forum. I will likely have about 3-4 gap on all sides of AVR (L, R, Top, Back) and some ventilation grill / slots on back / side slot wall. Will that do or should I have whole back of unit open? Front will be a glass door.

3. I presume Klipsch subwoofer SW350 will be inadequate in a Klipsch rf82 5.1 setup. Recommended and ideal choice is Klipsch SW112, but would love being corrected here if I am wrong.

4. In Mumbai, will you recommend surge protector plug socket or normal commercial power plug socket will do for power plug-in?

Thanks again.

i left about 3 inches on the sides and 4 inches from the rear for the avr in my cabinet.

mpw

closed.. glass door.. with a small device ( avbl in any carpentry shop - magnetic stopper i think ) which keeps the door open by about 1.5 inches for the ventilation when the avr works.

Pics are in the thread "playing speaker poker with C356"

mpw

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back