Kolkata | Speaker 5.0 or 5.1 for Pioneer VSX 831

kajha83

Hi,
I had request for inputs regarding an AVR. Got valuable suggestions. And finalized Pioneer VSX 831.
This is the thread: https://www.hifivision.com/threads/suggestion-first-setup-mostly-usb-bt-audio.72601/

Now, I am in Kolkata, and need to get speakers for the AVR. Have got below suggestions so far:
Taga TAV 5.0
Taga Inmove 5.0
Polk TL1600

Can I get some pointers on where to explore these in Kolkata?
Are there options for descent false celling mounted speakers? Or wall mounting?

If someone in Kolkata is kind enough to share phone number, I could talk (and if possible meet over weekend) to get expert advice.
I stay in central Kolkata (Sealdah).

Thanks,
Kamal

If you are on a budget go with Taga TAV 5.0. I personally feel their frequencies are not fine-tuned which may hurt ears after a while. From your list, Taga Inmove is a better one. You might need to add a sub for a fuller sound.

Are there options for descent false celling mounted speakers? Or wall mounting?

Most BS speakers have keyhole mount.. Before you decide for any model, google for exact product images and than take the decision, so you are not in a surprise and stumbled on next steps..

If you were to pick Taga from amazon.in, they are some instant discounts with various bank cards from time to time.. You may avail that too..

pick Taga from amazon.in
Thanks again for your input. You have been very helpful.
Out of the 2 Taga ones, I am mainly looking for Taga Inmove (compact size). And wanted to get a look and feel in Kolkata.
That was my main reason for starting a new thread focused on 'speaker' and 'kolkata'.
I have not found Inmove online on any website. Taga TAV is available for sure.

Taga Inmove was packaged as 5.1 on hifimart. But they did not agree to sell only the 5.0 package.

Thanks again for your input. You have been very helpful.

Thank You..

Out of the 2 Taga ones, I am mainly looking for Taga Inmove (compact size). And wanted to get a look and feel in Kolkata.
That was my main reason for starting a new thread focused on 'speaker' and 'kolkata'.
I have not found Inmove online on any website. Taga TAV is available for sure.

This Taga Inmove 5.0 speaker package was aval for a long time on ebay.in.. Price between 20 ~ 25K..(don't recollect exactly).. But after ebay.in closed, i too didn't find the inmove series online..

Taga Inmove was packaged as 5.1 on hifimart. But they did not agree to sell only the 5.0 package.

Hard luck.. The best you can do is try, but if that option isn't aval, you may need to consider alternatives..

Anyways, what is your maximum budget for speakers now?..

My budget would be around 20-25K.

If you want to settle for 5.0 HT package with in your budget, then Taga TAV series is just fine.. You can add sub later..

If you prefer to build and can settle for 3.0 now, then consider Taga Harmony Platinum BS S90 SL (12k a pair) & center C90 SL (13K) ~ 25K..

You can add S90 SL as surrounds later (12K) and complete 5.0 set-up.. Finally add sub.. Choose based on the flexibility..

You will be sacrificing a lot quality wise trying to squeeze in all 5 speakers in the budget of 20-25K.
Better to just get the fronts now and then add a center - sub - surrounds in phases.
Highly recommend getting quality bookshelf as front speakers for now, there are plenty of places in Kolkata where you can listen to various options and choose one.

You will be sacrificing a lot quality wise trying to squeeze in all 5 speakers in the budget of 20-25K.

Thanks for the inputs.
Do you suggest I should look for better speakers than Taga Inmove?
Do you have any specific suggestions?
And which shop would you advice close to central Kolkata (Sealdah)?

The closest shop for you is Auditro in Park St. Google these names, SKS Traders, ProFx, Harmonie Audio, Digital Acoustics.
Stretch your budget as far as possible for you without getting in trouble, go and listen to various options within the budget on offer at these places.
At ProFx you will likely be able to listen to Polk and KEF with Pioneer receivers. Usual suspects will always crop up, Dali, Wharfedale, Polk, Kef, Mission, Q Acoustics are few names that you should listen to.

The closest shop for you is Auditro in Park St. Google these names, SKS Traders, ProFx, Harmonie Audio, Digital Acoustics.

Thanks. Today, I did visit Auditro, Digital Acoustics and ProFx.
Could experience few (limited) options. Was helpful indeed.

Auditro:
  • Sonodyne Genie 1 (5.1)
  • Q Acoustics 3020i
  • Taga Inmove (5.0) - Could not demo. But they can get it at 25K.
  • Sonodyne Sonus 3260 - Could not demo. But was highly recommended (local brand).
Digital Acoustics:
  • Tannoy Mercury V1
ProFx:
  • Polk RTiA1
  • Polk Signature S15
  • KEF Q350
  • KEF Q150
Better to just get the fronts now and then add a center - sub - surrounds in phases.
Highly recommend getting quality bookshelf as front speakers for now

After the visits today, I am more inclined to start with a pair of bookshelf (for around 20K). And next add a Sub. And then finally a Center and Surrounds.
Liked KEF very much. But above budget.
I think next were Q Acoustics 3020i -> Polk RTiA1 -> Tannoy Mercury V1 -> Polk Signature S15.
But I do not think I can yet appreciate the finer differences. So, will still depend on expert advice.

Could not demo the below (popular) ones:
  • Dali Zensor 1
  • Wharfedale Diamond 210 / 220
  • Mission LX2
  • Boston Acoustics A 26
If you want to settle for 5.0 HT package with in your budget, then Taga TAV series is just fine.. You can add sub later..
If you prefer to build and can settle for 3.0 now, then consider Taga Harmony Platinum BS S90 SL (12k a pair) & center C90 SL (13K) ~ 25K..
You can add S90 SL as surrounds later (12K) and complete 5.0 set-up.. Finally add sub.. Choose based on the flexibility..

What would you think about my inclination to go for a pair of bookshelf (mainly the above examples) for 20K now (instead of Taga Inmove 5.0)?
And, among the above ones, would you have any advice?
The only challenge with Taga Harmony is that it is not available for Demo in Kolkata. Otherwise, I could have explored Platinum S-90 SL.

You could look at Polk RTi A1 or Dali Zensor 1 for now along with a Sub.

I am quoting @MaSh from a different thread where I was exploring AVR. But had some initial discussion about Speakers. Had not considered your suggestion at that time.
Unfortunately, could not demo Dali Zensor anywhere yet.
If you have any further advice for this confused soul, please do throw some light.

Last edited:
While I really hope to get some suggestions based on my above (long) post, I have done some more reading on hifivision and whathifi.

Limited audition options in Kolkata adds to the confusion.

The highlight of my audition was KEF Q350. But pair costs 42K. Twice my budget...

But, now considering:
  • Mission LX2
  • Taga Harmony Platinum BS S90 SL

Would trouble @elangoas with a couple of more questions.

1. Would you have any views comparing S-90 SL with Mission LX2, Boston A26 and Wharfedale 210.
These are the ones listed on Hifimart.

2. For primary audio usage, would you think 2.0 -> 2.1 -> 5.1 would be the right approach to start with 3.0?

3. Any suggestions on Sub to compliment pair of S-90 SL?

Thanks in advance for all your time...

The highlight of my audition was KEF Q350. But pair costs 42K. Twice my budget...

The KEF is no doubt, is an acclaimed speaker, but it is expensive at 42K just for a pair of BS, IMO.. For the same money, i would complete a 5.1 set-up with Taga TAV 5.0 package + a Taga TSW 200, a 12 inch sub and finish it..

2. For primary audio usage, would you think 2.0 -> 2.1 -> 5.1 would be the right approach to start with 3.0?

Only, if you can afford 2 - 3 times more than your budget of 25K, then take this route.. Else the above set-up for 42K, will keep you happy (5.0 ->5.1)..

Only, if you can afford 2 - 3 times more than your budget of 25K, then take this route.. Else the above set-up for 42K, will keep you happy (5.0 ->5.1)..

Thanks again.

If I fix TSW 200 (25K), then below options are for remaining 5.
  1. TAV 5.0 (20-25K)
  2. Inmove 5.0 (25K)
  3. Plat S90SL (11K) + Plat S90SL (11K) + Plat C90SL (9K) = 30-32K
I don't want to go for Option 1 because I would like to avoid floor standing ones.

And I am inclined to Option 3 as it costs 5-10K more, but I can stagger it and also squeeze in the Sub in between. And even settle with 2.0 and then 2.1 for some time before going to full 5.1 setup.

Also, if I want, I can move the first set of Plat S90SL as Surround and get better front ones.

Would you be kind enough to comment about the above options?
And also share your views on sound quality among the above options?

Last edited:
Thanks again.

If I fix TSW 200 (25K), then below options are for remaining 5.
  1. TAV 5.0 (20-25K)
  2. Inmove 5.0 (25K)
  3. Plat S90SL (11K) + Plat S90SL (11K) + Plat C90SL (9K) = 30-32K
I don't want to go for Option 1 because I would like to avoid floor standing ones.

And I am inclined to Option 3 as it costs 5-10K more, but I can stagger it and also squeeze in the Sub in between.

Also, if I want, I can move the first set of Plat S90SL as Surround and get better front ones.

Would you be kind enough to comment about the above options?
And also share your views on sound quality among the above options?

If you want to avoid FS, then option 3 is better and inexpensive route to complete 5.1.. If you were to buy from amazon.in, make sure you break the order (<=15K each) on amazon.in to avail instant discount (10% value of the item or max of Rs 1,500) on all your transactions.. Do check terms & conditions clearly before you place order..

For primary audio usage, would you think 2.0 -> 2.1 -> 5.1 would be the right approach to start with 3.0?
If you go with the all in one solution within the budget of 40-50K, in a month or so time you will feel extremely frustrated, more so since you mentioned music is your preference.
Music is meant to be heard at 2.0 ideally, makes perfect sense to go all out on a 2.0 setup now and get quality. Choose quality over quantity, that saying has its merits. My suggestion is to spend all your remaining budget on good quality fronts, add others later as and when budget permits.

Thanks @elangoas and @shibashis.

I would order a pair of TAGA Platinum S90SL to start with.
But exploring if my friends can help me get something from UK for the same budget (12-13 K).
Options I am seeing are:
  • Mission LX2 (13.5K)
  • Dali Zensor 1 (13.5K)
  • Q Acoustic 3020 (11K)
  • Wharfedale Diamond 220 (11K)
What in your assessment should be the priority among the above ones in terms of sound quality?
Since I could not audition any of these in Kolkata, hence asking.

Thanks @elangoas and @shibashis.

I would order a pair of TAGA Platinum S90SL to start with.
But exploring if my friends can help me get something from UK for the same budget (12-13 K).
Options I am seeing are:
  • Mission LX2 (13.5K)
  • Dali Zensor 1 (13.5K)
  • Q Acoustic 3020 (11K)
  • Wharfedale Diamond 220 (11K)
What in your assessment should be the priority among the above ones in terms of sound quality?
Since I could not audition any of these in Kolkata, hence asking.

Dali if you want a rounded sound signature, with lovely highs. Go for QA which have great mids and highs. Wharfedale if you want a warm sounding setup. My personal preference would be Dali, QA then wharfedale. Nad or similar amp for Dali and QA. Onkyo or Yamaha for wharfedale.

MaSh

If you go with the all in one solution within the budget of 40-50K, in a month or so time you will feel extremely frustrated, more so since you mentioned music is your preference.

The member has repeatedly insisted on his max spending on speakers in multiple posts in this thread & the other thread, i think we should be more respectful towards one's budget and suggest products accordingly, and not make him stretch more..

I don't think the OP is settling for a full-range satellite speakers.. I don't understand, why he would feel extremely frustrated after doing an all in one solution of 40 - 50K?..

What in your opinion is a better 5.0 speaker package at his budget?.. What do you think would be the short comings?..

Very hard to choose one from the above list, given very little price difference..

If you are planning to get any of the BS from UK, then remember you will need to get a matching center channel. if you were to buy them in Inida, it may well be in excess of 20K.. Choose accordingly..

If you are planning to get any of the BS from UK, then remember you will need to get a matching center channel. if you were to buy them in Inida, it may well be in excess of 20K.. Choose accordingly..[/QUOTE]

Pardon the stupid question but what is the meaning of matching centre channel. Matching in what terms? Please be kind enough to elaborate on this.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back