Kolkata | Speaker 5.0 or 5.1 for Pioneer VSX 831

I have a couple of questions for fellow member please.

Question 1 - I was hoping that Banana Plug will fit in both the speaker and AVR. But it does not fit in the AVR. In-fact, I had to put in the bare wire and screw it. Is this how it should be done? Or are there other type of connectors for this? Or can I replace the connector on back of AVR that would allow Banana Plug or something similar?

Here is a pic (downlaoded from internet) that represents the back of the AVR I have.

Image.jpg

Question 2 - SubWoofer. I am sure most of you would have guessed this coming. And @MaSh had already suggested in his initial post. I am not planning to get something in a hurry. Maybe will explore other possibilities of using help from firends in UK or US. But recommendations please? Would want to go for a low budget option please. Would 15K give me anything descent?

Thanks,

Kamal

Don't go replacing anything on AVR.
Bare wire is fine. Just make:
- there is sufficient contact
- it is secure
- not exposed (risk of shorting).
Banana plugs are a convenience.
Cheers,
Raghu

Question 1 - I was hoping that Banana Plug will fit in both the speaker and AVR. But it does not fit in the AVR. In-fact, I had to put in the bare wire and screw it. Is this how it should be done? Or are there other type of connectors for this? Or can I replace the connector on back of AVR that would allow Banana Plug or something similar?

On the AVR, over the speaker outputs there would be small plastic thing.. (You can see a small black ring ring inside the red speaker output) You need to remove that first using screwdriver, just lift it from speaker output.. Only then the Banana plugs will slide in to the speaker outputs..

Question 2 - SubWoofer. I am sure most of you would have guessed this coming. And @MaSh had already suggested in his initial post. I am not planning to get something in a hurry. Maybe will explore other possibilities of using help from firends in UK or US. But recommendations please? Would want to go for a low budget option please. Would 15K give me anything descent?

Absolutely yes.. Taga Harmony TSW 90 / 120 models.. I don't see them on amazon.in..

Thanks all. I will check out TAGA TSW options.
Any feedback about Polk PSW 505 or Elac DEBUT S10.2?
Just looking at suitable options if I can again manage to import from US / UK.

Hi All. My last 2 posts for suggestion have probably went unnoticed. So, making one more attempt to get some help from members who have been extremely helpful in my journey so far. So, tagging them here (instead of starting a new thread) to get attention (please excuse me): @raghupb @elangoas @shibashis @itsharsha @MaSh

Now my setup includes Pioneer VSX 831 and a pair of Dali Zensor 1. And, my next addition (no hurry) will be a Subwoofer.
Need suggestion on options.

If I cannot manage to import, I will settle for Taga Harmony TSW 90 / 120.
However, if I can (from UK / EU / US), what budget (15K?) options can I consider?

Any comments about:
Mivoc HYPE 10 G2: https://www.amazon.de/Mivoc-Hype-Subwoofer-Schwarz-180Hz/dp/B00F0JPUFQ/
Polk Audio? (Maybe PSW505)
Klipsch? (Maybe R-100SW)
BIC?

Thanks
Kamal

Hi All. My last 2 posts for suggestion have probably went unnoticed. So, making one more attempt to get some help from members who have been extremely helpful in my journey so far.

Now my setup includes Pioneer VSX 831 and a pair of Dali Zensor 1. And, my next addition (no hurry) will be a Subwoofer.
Need suggestion on options.

If I cannot manage to import, I will settle for Taga Harmony TSW 90 / 120.
However, if I can (from UK / EU / US), what budget (15K?) options can I consider?

Any comments about:
Mivoc HYPE 10 G2: https://www.amazon.de/Mivoc-Hype-Subwoofer-Schwarz-180Hz/dp/B00F0JPUFQ/
Klipsch? (Maybe R-100SW)
BIC?

Thanks
Kamal

Hows the Pioneer + Dali pairing? If I have missed your review somewhere, would be glad if you could just post the link. Regarding Sub, I am hearing good reviews of the newly launched Polk HTS series sub woofers. You could visit Pro FX and audition them Polk HTS10 | Review: Polk HTS12 12″ Ported Subwoofer | hifivision - Polk HTS 10 vs Pro 550. If not, I would go with a BIC.

MaSh

Last edited:
I have the Dali Sub E9F and it is extremely good for 40K, nothing short of amazing I would say. Since you have the Zensor line, it is probably advisable to go with either Dali E9f or E12f, these are meant to complement the Zensor and Fazon line of speakers. If you do your research you will see users commenting the same.
I am not saying for even a minute that these two Dali sub models are the best for the money, but I do think the synergy with the Zensor line is great.

Hows the Pioneer + Dali pairing? If I have missed your review somewhere

Hi. To my ears, it sounds great. With mid and high frequencies I do not feel anything missing for my room size. But felt the need of a Sub woofer. Right now, using 2.0 and plan to upgrade to 2.1 and enjoy for some time. Would not go for others right now.
I am unable to do any more justice to the review. This is my first HT / HiFi setup. And also have not been fortunate to have experienced a lot in my friends / family circle. So, can't comment more.
FM in Kolkata are welcome to pay a visit and help me learn and also share your expert review and comments...
I put up some pics in the same thread few days ago.

Kamal

Any comments about:
Klipsch? (Maybe R-100SW)
BIC?

A sub is to produce the lowest possible frequency with a higher Sound Pressure Level (SPL)..

The one you have listed seems fine.. Also Magnat Monitor supreme 202 A.. Both under 200 Euros.. Looking at specs of both these models, they seem to be 10 inch driver and ported subwoofer, not significantly different from the budget models aval in India..

I wouldn't recommend buying subwoofer from abroad for few reasons..

- Carrying weight of 15 ~ 20 Kgs can be troublesome and size..
- Adding 2nd identical subwoofer..

Two subs, preferably identical ones are better than a single expensive one.. (To address some of the low freq issues in any room).. So buying a budget sub for 15K here in India, will allow you to buy an other sub of the same model in future..

Hi. To my ears, it sounds great. With mid and high frequencies I do not feel anything missing for my room size. But felt the need of a Sub woofer. Right now, using 2.0 and plan to upgrade to 2.1 and enjoy for some time. Would not go for others right now.
I am unable to do any more justice to the review. This is my first HT / HiFi setup. And also have not been fortunate to have experienced a lot in my friends / family circle. So, can't comment more.
FM in Kolkata are welcome to pay a visit and help me learn and also share your expert review and comments...
I put up some pics in the same thread few days ago.

Kamal
Makes perfect sense to do 2.1 right now. Go to the next level by adding rear surrounds and/or center speakers.

MaSh

Added Mivoc HYPE 10 G2: https://www.amazon.de/Mivoc-Hype-Subwoofer-Schwarz-180Hz/dp/B00F0JPUFQ/
Pics to follow in next post.

Need suggestions / views on:
1. Placement
2. Ways to tune (e.g. phase, crossover, channel output level)

Have made basic settings after consulting Elango and Satisfied so far. But want to know on how to have these at optimal levels.

[Note - Adding all details on this thread instead of a newly opened thread on Budget Subwoofer suggestion for my AVR so that a comprehensive view / discussion / information is available for going through]

Last edited:
Tagging the old contributors to get their attention (please excuse me): @raghupb @shibashis @itsharsha @MaSh @elangoas

Need suggestions / views on:
1. Placement
2. Ways to tune (e.g. phase, crossover, channel output level)

Thanks,

Kamal

Speakers should be placed at ear level.. I think the present position seems lower to me.. If you can't place them ideally, then fine..

Reg subwoofer placement, i don't think you have much space besides the rack. So, your present subwoofer position is also fine..

Phase : Se it to "0"
Crossover - Set it to full on the subwoofer.
Channel output level ?.. Hope it is the volume knob on the subwoofer.. If so, set it to 50%..

Currently set left and right channel levels as 0 db and SubWoofer to 1 db.

If you have Auto calibration system in the AVR, i suggest you to run it once and then tweak the speaker / sub woofer level if necessary..

Ideally you should try to put the front speakers on stands and as elangoas has pointed out they should be on ear-level. Equally important is to have more space between the speakers. There is a lot of glass around the speakers too, not ideal. To be absolutely frank a television cabinet like yours is not ideal for music.
But since you have it we will have to work around it. See if it is possible for you to put the speakers on stands and in front of the glass cabinets, try and have about 6' distance between the two fronts. The sub too should be placed on the ground. I am not sure how much freedom you have to rearrange the furniture in terms of available space and practicality, if at all possible see if you can implement these.

Well ...
You have to work with what you have.
@elangoas has already listed some stuff, so has @shibashis

The fronts need more separation when listening to only music.
For movies, the AVR will calibrate and do it's thing.

Enjoy the rig. Don't worry too much now.
When you have the opportunity to refurnish, the rig will be an element in the equation

Cheers,
Raghu

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back