Labor of Luv - 301

Stunning! Your DIY puts high end manufactured stuff to shame when it comes to aesthetics!
Using push rod of JCB back hoe, great improvisation!

Great and kudos on your DIY. If you dont mind, could you please elaborate on the tonearm base and its construction (esp on the stability, any retuning required if there is any accidental dislocation / movement etc)

The tonearm base consist of the same birch wood plinth on height adjustable cones. Above that is a 6 kg, 10 cm Vanadium solid steel cylinder. Its a cut piece of a JCB hydraulic push rod. Above that is a 10 mm copper piece (plated), machined with holes to accommodate the tonearm. I am attaching a photo of the metal pieces.

On the stability part, the contraption is quiet stable. The height and level can be adjusted using the isolation cones. Only adjustment that needs to be done in case of accidental dislocation is to maintain the pivot to spindle distance.
pod1j.jpg

One big advantage of the arm "pod" - vertical tracking angle can be adjusted by adjusting the heights of the cones. Secondly, one can fine tune azimuth, again by adjusting the height of the cones.

If you want to take it to even more extreme levels of isolation, you can make a different "table/support" only for the pod. The only coupling point will then be the floor.

JLS, maybe not Azimuth. Arm must swing in horizontal plane only, since TT is horizontal (else motor wont hang vertically).

In my case the maximum adjustment that can be done with the cones is 3 to 5 mm. Therefore it can only used for leveling. VTA and azimuth is better done on the tonearm itself !!.

Nice work gee_john,
I know its obvious to worry about detached tonearm but if one can manage it isolation of tonearm could be very much advantageous, specially with idler wheel drive TTs. And as Joshua said if one is extremely carefull VTA can be adjusted while vinyl playing also.
Enjoy the 301.
Regards

Extremely good looking setup. I am a big fan of the Jelco tonearm. They match solid machines like 301 in quality of workmanship.

On trying to set up the tonearm pod... I find that the "tripod" is slightly unstable. Think I have to make it into a "Quadpod" to make it more stable and prevent accidental fall overs. I have a 3 year old running all over !!!...... Minimum floor contact would have been better..
Now back to the drawing boards... work shop....!!!!

Last edited:
dear gee_john,

It is superb. I know how much effort and brain work would have gone into to bring out such a beautiful machine back to life. I am sure it will also sound superb. You are fortunate to have a good carpenter friend. How is the machine damped? Have you covered the motor with anything and is the TT suspended?

kuruvilajacob

dear gee_john,

It is superb. I know how much effort and brain work would have gone into to bring out such a beautiful machine back to life. I am sure it will also sound superb. You are fortunate to have a good carpenter friend. How is the machine damped? Have you covered the motor with anything and is the TT suspended?

kuruvilajacob

Hi Kuruvilla,

The whole set up is quiet heavy and so I have not damped it. To my understanding the motor is shielded. Therefore, I have not covered it. I am attaching a photo of the underside before I started the cleaning. What do you think ? Do I need to cover anything ??. No, the TT is not suspended. It is firm fixed.

underthegarrard.jpg

Last edited:
I have two Garrard 301s. One of them is suspended on squash balls placed just under the plintat the 4 cornersh . On the other one, the entire machine other than space for the moving parts are all filled by marine plywood and not suspended . It is supposed to further reduce the motor noise from reaching the top of the TT. I find the former a little bit open sounding whereas the latter is more engaging. Have you used Birch wood or Birchply for the plinth?

kuruvilajacob

I have two Garrard 301s. One of them is suspended on squash balls placed just under the plintat the 4 cornersh . On the other one, the entire machine other than space for the moving parts are all filled by marine plywood and not suspended . It is supposed to further reduce the motor noise from reaching the top of the TT. I find the former a little bit open sounding whereas the latter is more engaging. Have you used Birch wood or Birchply for the plinth?

kuruvilajacob

Its Baltic birch solid wood not ply ..

Last edited:
.. and finally, got the "quadpod" for the tonearm yesterday and got it running. The Denon DL 103 is opening up...

dsc0399fi.jpg

Zen ZP3 Tube Phonostage.

dsc0389v.jpg

Wow. That looks amazing. Are you using DL-103 or 103 R? Which would be a good phono stage for DL 103? How would you compare the 301 with your other TT? Which model of Jelco arm ? You could get a dust cover made for the 301. I have made for mine.
Regds
kuruvilajacob

WOW! Gorgeous :licklips:

Would love to have a listen, am sure the music sounds amazing.
BTW, does the record clamp really work/necessary with old TT's??? What is your opinion?

Enjoy

:)

Gee John,

I've got a tonearm mounted on the motorboard itself and thought of an arm pod for another arm, but seeing your pictures I figured why not try an arm pod now itself? Then if I prefer the sound of an outboard arm pod I can simply cut my motorboard and make the squash ball plinth for the reduced motorboard size.

So thanks for the beautiful pics!

Regards

>>>
Can you please recommend where I can get a dust cover made?
Any one in Cochin?

Aroma Plastics (Paramara Road, Ernakulam; Tel-04842395670) are reputed to do good work with plexi. Their office is very near the Ernakulam Town Hall. They might be able to make one for you.

kuruvilajacob might have a better source, though :)

Wow. That looks amazing. Are you using DL-103 or 103 R? Which would be a good phono stage for DL 103? How would you compare the 301 with your other TT? Which model of Jelco arm ? You could get a dust cover made for the 301. I have made for mine.
Regds
kuruvilajacob

I have a DL 103 running on the 301. The Jelco arm is 750L (12 inch). I got a dust cover made. It's quiet large, as it needs to cover both the TT and the arms. This is a problem with independent arms !!

I have a 103R on my Gyrodec. To me the difference is very subtle. But it's too early to say. The 103 is hardly done few hours.

You would require either a SUT to step up the voltage or a phono with a gain of at least 60 to 70 dB as the output of the 103 is quit low. In my HO, it is one of the best catridge for the price. It's quiet sensitive to settings and would require a minimum 50 to 100 hrs to open up.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back