Laptop not showing BIOS only Ctrl+S menu

rwnano

Hi - I bought a laptop off of eBay which is showing no BIOS menu only a Blancco screen post the hard drive erasure.
It also gives a PXE 61 error
initializing and establishing link
PXE e61
PXE m01
error establishing link

I flashed a USB drive with Ubuntu and then boot and load Ubuntu on the PC. But the USB drive is not booted from.
Unable to access BIOS and boot order

Try talking to the seller for assistance. If it is a corrupt BIOS, you should contact a qualified technician

Hi - I bought a laptop off of eBay which is showing no BIOS menu only a Blancco screen post the hard drive erasure.
It also gives a PXE 61 error
initializing and establishing link
PXE e61
PXE m01
error establishing link

I flashed a USB drive with Ubuntu and then boot and load Ubuntu on the PC. But the USB drive is not booted from.
Unable to access BIOS and boot order
You erased the hard disk without setting the boot order. So it is now trying lan since the internal hard disk does not have a boot sector

You need to find the hot key for accesing the BIOS. It totally depends on the laptop manufacturer for the hot key. Google search for the laptop make, model to get the magic key to invoke BIOS setup before boot.

F1 - formula 1 - discovered it for this thinkpad. Entered BIOS...now was trying to put USB FDD in the boot order but am not able to.
Look at the bios settings. There will be a separate item for 'boot from usb' somewhere. It is not possible for any bios to not have the setting. Some have a different button to boot from usb drive. Some have a menu item different from the disk boot order menu item.

See both videos. First one is for thinkpad that have the blue button. Second one is for thinkpad that don't have the blue thinkvantage blue button

Last edited:
Got it. Thanks for your kindness in supporting. I was able to access the bios and then boot it from the USB. But the USB with Ubuntu is not behaving properly. So I will reformat..thank you.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back