LCD 32" Sony Bravia V series vs LG Jazz vs Samsung series 5

Hello Every1,

Today, i went to Electronics Expo here in bangalore.. saw quite a good terminals all together glowing great to attract consumers.. Saw Panasonic Plasma and got carried away.. i was alosmt about to take it but then thought that 42" would be too large for a common man's home.. so decided to gave up (sad)... Well, after lot of brain exercise, have decided to go for Sony V series above LG Jazz...
Not sure how much "SONY" will show up that it's SONY and not anything..
Any last moments suggestions ???

JK

Have been doing quite a bit of analysis on the 32" LCDs. My choices have been narrowed down to (a) Sony (32") V series, (b) Sony (32") W series, (c) LG Jazz (32LG80FR), (d) Samsung 32" 5 series.
Budget is around Rs. 55K. Getting the Samsung 5 series & LG 80FR for around Rs. 42K. The 2 Sony's - V series is around Rs. 42K and W series is around Rs. 52K. But, both these Sony LCDs are HD Ready, while the Samsung & LG mentioned above are Full HD. Also the LG has a USB port which is missing in both V & W Sony models. Samsung 32" 5 series not sure if it has the USB port. Need to check on that point.
But as seen, buying a SONY both V & W series (which are higher end models in SONY compared to their S series) only gives HD Ready feature. For the same amounts Samsung & LG give a Full HD.
At first glance looks like Samsung & LG are obvious choices.....bigger bang for the buck.....but then there is something about the SONYs that is still keeping me thinking.

1) Any ideas which would be a better buy?

2) Is Sony build quality really that much better than the competitors or is it just the brand premium or combination or both?

One final thought that also comes to my mind, is that why not upgrade to a bigger screen size (maybe 37" or 40") with a Samsung or a LG that is HD Ready (not Full HD). The price range is around my budget.

3)Then the question is, would a larger screen (37" or 40") HD Ready be a better buy or a smaller screen (32") Full HD be a better buy?

If I can sway your decision, here is something to take into consideratoin. Sony is an excellent manufacturer and distributor of LCD panels. Their many generations of LCD TVs are a testament to that. Their LCD HDTVs get consistently good to excellent reviews for the models that are rolled out.

42 is a good size even for small enclaves. Try it and you wont go back to CRT displays.

Hello Every1,

Today, i went to Electronics Expo here in bangalore.. saw quite a good terminals all together glowing great to attract consumers.. Saw Panasonic Plasma and got carried away.. i was alosmt about to take it but then thought that 42" would be too large for a common man's home.. so decided to gave up (sad)... Well, after lot of brain exercise, have decided to go for Sony V series above LG Jazz...

JK

Hi,

I also was looking for a LCD TV to replace my 29" CRT. Due to budget restrictions, I was not looking for anything upwards of 32 inches. The choices were Sony V Series, Samsung 5 Series and Panasonic. Panasonic was too expensive and the choice was between Sony and Samsung. Then Samsung came down with the prices and came up with Full HD 5 series with 35000:1 contrast ratio. The price also was lower than the V Series. I also read some excellent reviews on the Samsung 5 Series and that cliched the decision.

On Dec 19, 2008, I brought home the Samsung 5 Series 32" TV along with Samsung 1080P DVD player. The TV is an excellent TV with many settings for fine tuning the picture. I do not think Sony is offering this kind of detailed settings.

Regarding the LCD panels, it may be of interest to you to note that the LCD panels for both Sony and Samsung are being manufactured by the same company. It is a joint venture between Sony and Samsung. It is the differnce im the software that goes into these TV's that makes the differecne. If I am correct, only companies like Hitachi and Sharp has their own LCD Panel manufacturing units. Samsung 6 series has better LCD panels than the 5 Series.

Coupled with 1080P DVD player, the TV comes up with excellent pictures. If you have a decent STB, you should get very good pictures. the sound also is pretty decent.

Regarding the size, I feel that 32 " is just right for an average home. However, if your room is pretty large and there is more than 10 feet betwen the TV and the viewer, then a larger size would be better.

By the way, I brought the TV for 41 K and the DVD player for 4.3 K.

Then again as somebody has mentioned, there is something mysterious about a Sony.. You always have a doubt. The pedigree is excellent.. You always doubt a Korean based company..

Your decison can be based on the following.

1. At 41 K you are getting a FULL HD TV if you go for Samsung 5 Series.
2. At 42 K you are getting only a HD Ready TV if you go for Sony V Series.
3. Picture quality is more or less the same for both.

I hope I have not confused you more...

Thanks

Rajendran Menon

Hello Every1,

JK
well u wont go wrong with a sony,briliant colors and excellent contrast only beaten by the sony W series.

Have been doing quite a bit of analysis on the 32" LCDs. My choices have been narrowed down to (a) Sony (32") V series, (b) Sony (32") W series, (c) LG Jazz (32LG80FR), (d) Samsung 32" 5 series.
Budget is around Rs. 55K. Getting the Samsung 5 series & LG 80FR for around Rs. 42K. The 2 Sony's - V series is around Rs. 42K and W series is around Rs. 52K. But, both these Sony LCDs are HD Ready, while the Samsung & LG mentioned above are Full HD. Also the LG has a USB port which is missing in both V & W Sony models. Samsung 32" 5 series not sure if it has the USB port. Need to check on that point.
But as seen, buying a SONY both V & W series (which are higher end models in SONY compared to their S series) only gives HD Ready feature. For the same amounts Samsung & LG give a Full HD.
At first glance looks like Samsung & LG are obvious choices.....bigger bang for the buck.....but then there is something about the SONYs that is still keeping me thinking.

1) Any ideas which would be a better buy?

2) Is Sony build quality really that much better than the competitors or is it just the brand premium or combination or both?

One final thought that also comes to my mind, is that why not upgrade to a bigger screen size (maybe 37" or 40") with a Samsung or a LG that is HD Ready (not Full HD). The price range is around my budget.

3)Then the question is, would a larger screen (37" or 40") HD Ready be a better buy or a smaller screen (32") Full HD be a better buy?

well u are confused the sony W series is a FHD tv not HD .for pure performance the sony W series has the edge,around 150% more contrast then LG.the sony V series also has the contrast advantage compared to LG,

first decide which size u want to go based on ur viewing distance.

SOny W series is among the best available right now.

S stands for Style i think its supposed to look good

V series stands for value for money and its supposed to give you the best bang for the buck among all the series

W
comes in next its feature packed and in many reviewers opinion is among the best affordable LCD tv's available.

X is the most expensive you wont get any tv below 1 lac in the Z series cutting edge technology and all tht

But IMO you wont go wrong with a W series. Samsung 5 series is also good so is the LG scarlet.

My pick would be W series.

SOny W series is among the best available right now.

S stands for Style i think its supposed to look good

V series stands for value for money and its supposed to give you the best bang for the buck among all the series

W
comes in next its feature packed and in many reviewers opinion is among the best affordable LCD tv's available.

X is the most expensive you wont get any tv below 1 lac in the Z series cutting edge technology and all tht

But IMO you wont go wrong with a W series. Samsung 5 series is also good so is the LG scarlet.

My pick would be W series.
well S series gives u the best bang for ur buck,where as the V series is the one which is more stylish .

BTW W & X series is FUll HD
well u get FHD tvs in all the series like S,V(40inch and above) .

I am again confused.. :confused:
I am getting LG Jazz 3280FR in 38k and Sony V series in 42.9
I checked both and found that Jazz has bettr white balance whiel sony V had quite polished and raddish videos....

Any suggestions to get me out of this dilemma please??

Thanks in advance

Cheers,
JK

Difficult choice. Sony V series seems a good choice. However Sony 32" V series is not much different than the Sony 32" S series. Infact they are identical in specs (as seen on SONY India website). The Sony 32" V series has an additional Digital Media Port that is missing in SONY 32" S Series. Other than that, the looks are different that's all. The SONY 32" S series is lesser in price than the SONY V series.
On the other hand, a few days ago a friend of mine got the 32LG80FR Jazz. He is very happy with it. He bargained and paid around Rs. 42K with 50 free DVDs and a free DVD player (Diwali offer I guess). The LG has a USB port and is Full HD, unlike the SONY V series which is HD ready only. He mentioned that the USB port was important for him in his decision and so also was Full HD capability.
Tough call, since picture quality of both is very good. See what your requirements are and accordingly decide.

It seems like LG is going to give you best bang for the buck. Have you seen both the sets. Check which tv has better picture quality. Make sure both tvs are fed the same signal. I have seen in many showrooms they would be feeding HD signals to some models and normal Tata Sky or Bigtv signals to some others difference in picture quality is like night and day.

If you think that Sony is giving more or less the same quality of picture that LG is giving then save your Ruppee and go for LG.

dont give the usb port much of a thought. bcoz its for playback only. you plug the pen drive in, play the video/audio. thats it, you cant even fast forward it! so whats the use of the usb????:confused:

Hi Guys,
This is my first post in this forum.

As regards to 32 inch LCD, my vote goes for the Samsung A550 - 5 series, full HD LCD. This LCD delivers stunning pics. The sound may not be great as does all the LCD's. The colours are true and richer.

With a upscaling DVD player the movies are a treat to watch. There are a lot of fine and very fine picture tuning details which are greek and latin to Sony.
Since Samsung is assembled in India it does not mean that it is an inferior product, the result lower MRP.

Samsung was the OEM of LCD panels for Sony till last year before sony got their own panels.

I still vote for Sony when it comes to Televisions. They are the leader in TV technology. I do have a Sony 29 inch TV with WEGA 2.0 and woofer.

So i would suggest you go in for a Samsung Full HD LCD unless you are not obsessed by the SONY brand name.
Just one suggestion, choose the size of LCD depending on your viewing distance. You need a minimum of 6-7 feet viewing distance for a 32 inch LCD.
So even if you have a large room, its the viewing distance that is going to matter.

Happy viewing.

There are a lot of fine and very fine picture tuning details which are greek and latin to Sony.

could u mention any of those "fine and very fine picture tuning details which are greek and latin to Sony"? i am seriously interested.

in my opinion the colors on sony are much much more vivid and vibrant. plus, the darkest dark is far far darker in sony than on samsung. i have experienced it first hand, before deciding to go for sony. plus, can u trust a company which says it has a panel contrast ratio of more than 10000:1? can u? as far as i know, the best LCDs have an "actual" panel contrast ratio of 3000:1. so, inflating figures and providing more commission to retailers and lowering prices, doesnt really make samsung a better deal.

so, if you are cash stripped and if you're are looking for "value for money" options, then samsung is a better deal. however, if you're obsessed with quality and dont mind going the extra mile in terms of cash, then sony wont disappoint you.

have been a sony bravia user for a few months now,and frankly speaking it hasnt disappointed me one single bit. way to go, sony...

Last edited:
I think what Sai means by"fine and very fine picture tuning details which are greek and latin to Sony"? are the WHITE BALANCE and COLOR SPACE controls in samsung TVS which are only present in higher end Sonys :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back