LCR speakers for Denon AVR-1601

ece2k2

Could you please suggest some good LCR speakers for Denon AVR-1601 receiver. I prefer the floorstanding ones for the L/R channels and I got the quotes for the following options:

Mordaunt Short Aviano 6 - Rs.37.5k (demo unit)
Boston Acoustics A 360 - Rs.35k
Tannoy Mercury V4 - Rs.32.5k

A few points that I would like to highlight:

1. Many of the reputed brands are not available for auditioning in my city. The brands that I might manage to audition are: Polk, KEF, Monitor Audio and Mordaunt Short.

2. My Denon AVR-1601 receiver is rated 60W per channel. I might not be upgrading this receiver in the near future - unless it goes kaput down the line

3. The other components that are going to exist in my setup are: Yamaha subwoofer (YST-SW45) and a pair of Cambridge Soundworks Newton M50 bookshelf speakers (to be used for the rear channels)

4. My viewing pattern is going to be 50% movies, 25% DTH and 25% Music

5. As far as the movie usage is concerned, I would like to have a very good voice clarity (a nice center speaker may be)

6. I am going to listen to the setup at low to mid volume levels. So, the setup must not be something that sounds good only at high volume level.

7. My total budget for the 3 (LCR) speakers is around Rs.50k (slightly flexible)

I look forward to your thoughts.

Could you guys please help me out with your thoughts/inputs as I would like to finalize my purchase this weekend. Thanks!

I auditioned both Polk (TSi floorstanding and RTi bookshelf) and KEF yesterday. Polk's TSi didn't sound good to me. Polk RTi and KEF C5 sounded just okay.

I am now contemplating between:
Tannoy Mercury (V4 floorstanding & VC center) - Rs.43500
Boston Acoustics (A 360 floorstanding & A 225C center) - Rs.48000

I have ruled out Mordaunt Short due to supply issues. Unfortunately, I won't be able to audition both Tannoy and Boston as they are not available out here. Please share your thoughts ASAP.

I auditioned both Polk (TSi floorstanding and RTi bookshelf) and KEF yesterday. Polk's TSi didn't sound good to me. Polk RTi and KEF C5 sounded just okay.

I am now contemplating between:
Tannoy Mercury (V4 floorstanding & VC center) - Rs.43500
Boston Acoustics (A 360 floorstanding & A 225C center) - Rs.48000

I have ruled out Mordaunt Short due to supply issues. Unfortunately, I won't be able to audition both Tannoy and Boston as they are not available out here. Please share your thoughts ASAP.
\
Is Q Acoustics - 2050i available in your city? If yes, pick them up. They are best in this range.

review Q Acoustics 2050i review from the experts at whathifi.com

\
Is Q Acoustics - 2050i available in your city? If yes, pick them up. They are best in this range.

review Q Acoustics 2050i review from the experts at whathifi.com

Thanks, 2050i seems to be good but the price seems to be pretty high in India - Rs.59k as per Q Acoustics - 2050i - Tower Speaker (Pair) - Techno Guru - Online Store

But in UK, 2050i seems to be positioned in the same range as that Boston Acoustics A 360.

UK prices:
Tannoy Mercury V4 - GBP 250 (Superfi - TANNOY MERCURY V4 FLOOR STANDING SPEAKERS (PAIR))
Boston Acoustics A 360 - GBP 500 (Superfi - BOSTON ACOUSTICS A360 FLOOR STANDING SPEAKERS (PAIR))
Q Acoustics 2050i - GBP 440 (Superfi - Q ACOUSTICS 2050i SPEAKERS (PAIR))

So, it looks like the price of 59k for Q Acoustics 2050i out here is either incorrect or unreasonable (by relative standards). I am a little concerned about the value offered by Q Acoustics 2050i (at 59k) vis-a-vis Boston Acoustics A 360 (at 35k). Please let me know if I am missing something.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I had auditioned the Tannoy V4s with a Denon AVR 2113. Sounded very nice and balanced. Lows were very good and controlled. And at 32k they are very good value.

The Q Acoustics 2050i IS priced quite high in India. Whereas the 2000ci center costs 15k odd.

Thanks guys.

Is there anyone who has auditioned both Boston A 360 and Tannoy Mercury V4?

Boston A 360 also seems to have a pretty good reputation in various reviews (UK based ones) and they seem to be costing less out here (compared to UK). Boston Acoustics doesn't seem to be popular in this forum, but just want to double check if someone has experience with these before opting for Tannoy Mercury V4.

ece2k2 - PLEASE DON'T buy speakers based on others' recommendations. Get an audition and then decide. We don't buy speakers every day do we? And, 30k isn't a low amount to take a risk is it?

ece2k2 - PLEASE DON'T buy speakers based on others' recommendations. Get an audition and then decide. We don't buy speakers every day do we? And, 30k isn't a low amount to take a risk is it?

shuv, I can definitely understand your point but the speakers that I could audition in my city aren't very convincing. Those with good reviews aren't available for audition and I am in a dilemma now :confused:

I prefer the floorstanding ones for the L/R channels and I got the quotes for the following options:

Mordaunt Short Aviano 6 - Rs.37.5k (demo unit)
Boston Acoustics A 360 - Rs.35k
Tannoy Mercury V4 - Rs.32.5k

Of the above three quoted by you I have heard Aviano 6 and Tannoy Mercury 4. Both are very good speakers but with different sound. I think you can not go wrong with either of them if you like their sound signature. Haven't heard Boston so cant comment

Drive down to Bangalore for a weekend. Audition different makes and series. Choose the ones that suit you the best and drive back with those. Simple! :p

Finally I purchased the Boston Acoustics A 360 and A 225C speakers. A local dealer managed to organize a demo prior to my purchase and I was happy with their sound.

I auditioned Polk and KEF before finalizing Boston Acoustics. I felt that Boston speakers are neither too harsh nor too dull, but has just the right balance of all the elements.

I paid 35k for the A 360 and 11k for the A 225C.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back