Legend Killers - Turntables

Lizard King thanks for the photo of President Obama's Denon DP 300F. I had referred to the same in post dated 14 Nov, but could not attach the link.

Reubensm, your posts on these Legend Killer tt's are indeed informative and a joy to read. I was wondering if some models of Duals or Elacs can be included as lower cost legend killers. Was reading somewhere that some idler drive Duals were regarded very highly, not withstanding the stubborn bearing noise or rumble so prevalent in record changer mechanisms due to the type of spindle bearing used and other factors such as worn out idlers and motor lubrication. Maybe you could guide, in another post, how to reduce or eliminate this noise.

Reubensm, your posts on these Legend Killer tt's are indeed informative and a joy to read. I was wondering if some models of Duals or Elacs can be included as lower cost legend killers. Was reading somewhere that some idler drive Duals were regarded very highly, not withstanding the stubborn bearing noise or rumble so prevalent in record changer mechanisms due to the type of spindle bearing used and other factors such as worn out idlers and motor lubrication. Maybe you could guide, in another post, how to reduce or eliminate this noise.
that's nice, i haven't owned or listened to Elacs but agree about the Duals, they were well and truly mean-dream-German-machines, my favorites being the 1009 and the 1019. If restored correctly and paired with a good chain, they can be made to sound up there with the big idler drive names.

Check this out...

and this....

More Technics posts due for a long time now, courtesy work commitments, will post more soon.

However, I could not help posting this one when I came across it. I had never heard of the Denon DP 308F-E Studio turntable until I came across it on YouTube today. What an absolute masterpiece and almost certainly, one of the absolute legend killers :cool:
Denon DP 308F-E.jpgDenon 2.jpg

Check out this YouTube channel, the turntable is in action:

While experts from the world of sub-chassis belt drive turntables constantly debate about the merits of various models from AR, Linn and Thorens, one of the completely forgotten turntables in this demography is a turntable designed by Mr. BEE himself, the NAD 5120, with a detachable tonearm. This turntable was designed to pair with the NAD 3020, again with NAD's high-performance at an affordable price point philosophy. The turntable had a revolutionary tonearm design, especially with the elimination of tonearm wiring (the tonearm was like a PCB literally, plugged into the tonearm base)

5120-1.jpg 5120-2.jpg 5120-3.jpg 5120-4.jpg 5120-5.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for reminding us about the NAD 5120 tt. A vastly underrated machine, this somehow did not meet with the critics approval in its time, resulting in lower sales and subsequent dis-continuation. If you look carefully the chassis was manufactured by Tesla (later Pro-Ject) of erstwhile Czechoslovakia. Flat arm turntables are still being manufactured by a few companies.

I am yet to complete my post on Technics turntables, got very busy with work. Will do so soon.

Meanwhile, found this interesting video on inner groove distortion comparisons.

Reuben this thread is a gem!
On behalf of all us here, thank you so much for sharing all this information.

Pinning it so it can serve as a reference.

more to come Nikhil, I got a bit derailed due to some work commitments. My experiments and experiences with Technics turntables will be very useful for all those who are really keen on good sound without having deep pockets :)

more to come Nikhil, I got a bit derailed due to some work commitments. My experiments and experiences with Technics turntables will be very useful for all those who are really keen on good sound without having deep pockets :)

That would be something many on here would look forward to.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back