System setup and evolution

Hi,

Another nice Lenco rebuild.

Lenco

Nice Garrard too.

Garrard 301

I have been wanting to impliment the bearing support tweek,but never got around to doing it.I remember Haden Boardman recomending this way back .

Arj this should work for the Lenco too.
thanks Rajiv, I do have Mirkos Stainless steel bearing which i will put in but any idea on how to get the components for this tweak ?

I like this Japanese persons idea to to reduce vibrations. Scroll down to the middle of the page.

http://transurl.babylon.com/?trn=1&...ikki23.html&sl=ja&tl=en&ver=9003&lv=666357944

Regards
Rajiv
not abe to see this page...says not authorised

Multiple plinths is another option to reduce the vibrations.
Edit: <<Sorry Duplicate post>>

Hi,

Another nice Lenco rebuild.

Lenco
Nice Garrard too.

Garrard 301

I have been wanting to impliment the bearing support tweek,but never got around to doing it.I remember Haden Boardman recomending this way back .

Arj this should work for the Lenco too.

I like this Japanese persons idea to to reduce vibrations. Scroll down to the middle of the page.

http://transurl.babylon.com/?trn=1&...ikki23.html&sl=ja&tl=en&ver=9003&lv=666357944

Regards
Rajiv

Hi Arj,

any idea on how to get the components for this tweak ?

The simplest would be to prop up the entire bearing from below using a piece of wood/metal..etc and see if there is an improvement.

What this person has done and if I recall Haden suggested that bearing be proped up in the center.You could try one of the long pointed bolts used for basin fittings (cut it to the size required),fix it in a wood or metal block under the TT and adjust for height /pressure.
According to Haden the sound varies with the amount of pressure applied.

I have the article somewhere will find and upload after scanning.

Wall Mount Basin Fixing Bolts Set | New Washbasin Fixing Screw Kit by China Sanliv

not abe to see this page...says not authorised

This is the original Japanese website.Japan is like a whole different planet when it comes to audio.

?C????????L???@?Q?O?O?V?NVol.2

Google transalte is your friend.

Some inspiring Garrard mods.

?C????????L??2007?Nvol.1

The whole website is very good suggest members browse through it.

shuks?????

Regards
Rajiv

Japan is like a whole different planet when it comes to audio.

Very true about Japanese audio. Completely different planet. And way better, more esoteric, and I guess more hard core, than the one we inhabit. Sometimes I wish I knew Japanese and German.

Japanese website link posted by Rajiv are excellent. Japanese do do things differently. Using laser for turntable alignments is simply excellent. Also using CFRP damping material and CFRP screws is also innovative. I did made that mods to my pioneer TT motor. The screws which were previously directly connected I put a sponge bush in between screws and plate and were tighten little less, though I didn't hear any SQ change vibration of the plate and plinth did decreased.
Regards

Today I had an Epiphany.
I had bought a Stainless Steel/ceramic Bearing for the Lenco some months back and had put it in..but did not find too much of a benefit (other than Psycho acoustic). Also the platter used to stop in 10-15 secs if given a small spin and also take around 30 secs to reach full speed.

due to to this i moved back to the original spindle which was only marginally better.

But today on a hunch i just put a copper coin below the thrust plate of the spindle and then the platter directly on the new spindle and held the spindle in the had (Was tough holding a 5 kg platter !) and gave it a spin..and that just went on and on :D
So mounted the spindle again on the TT and .
- reached full speed in seconds
- when switched off..the platter went on and on before stopping

..and the fluidity of Music just Leaped up n bounds.:yahoo:

I was actually taking a Hiatus and my system was in "Shut down" mode mostly due to work /travel /IPL and kids and since i was traveling again tomorrow ,i was planning to "open" it up only in 2 weeks..but this changed things and have been listening to LP after LP the last 2 hours.

i presume somehow that ~1 mm increase in spindle height removed some friction . Never realized the impact of the Simple Spindle although i knew it was the heart of any TT.

thought ill share.

Last edited:
Last sunday, this landed up at my place
Click

It was a chance discovery. I had seen a offer for a Tannoy GRF memory speaker in Singapore and requested the Official Singapore division of Hifivision ie Dr Bass to see it and check it out before i start dreaming on those lines.

Long story short: those were not good enough but these were available and i ended up thinking over it for a day- spoke to Abhi and Prem and decided to go for it. that day was one of the longest i've had (days my children were born not counted)

last Sunday these two gentlemen , cant call them babies nor ladies, reached my home and I set em, up for the first time..running with the Lebens they made a great combination
- the instrument and vocal tones have a great texture yu can see there is no cutoff at either extremes and music is fluid
- Micro and Macro Dynamics are really great..able to hear nuances very clearly
- Is able to keep Pace with the music- start /stop is beautiful and the Attack is phenomenal and the trailing edges very clear.
-Beautiful bass. powerful and bottomless but not the least overwhelming.

the whole experience of a powerful personality presenting a musical picture with a gentle but commanding presence is the way i can vocally describe the picture and needless to stay i slept just before sunrise

The fact that they are beautiful to look at with furniture grade finish helped even more.

The only problem was with Imaging- it was very pretty small , framed by the speakers and on the speaker plane and little depth especially in comparison with the merlins which image Fantastically. A lot of it is due to the room..my room is an average damped 11 x 14 and these are little cupboards in their own right.

As Abhi/Prem and Asit independently told me, this was not right or expected. and my worry was if this speaker , being a used pair, had some defect/problem

Today Staxxx came over for a listen and we played around with reflection damping, placements/Toe in and space behind the speakers and finally it fell in place ended up with a pretty good depth, behind the speaker plane and western classical is presenting a good soundstage..something i wanted Staxxx to calibrate and till it reached some level of satisfaction to his ears(I do think he was being nice to me..having heard his setup which throws a Huge image !). all this without loss in any of the earlier qualities.

Finally the depth has come in and faraway instruments image and sound as though they are in the right position..and as of now,we agreed , the room seems to be the only limiting factor and the potential is there to go better with more space.
Having spent over a week, I would not call them coloured in anyway..and they are definitely not the most neutral. the richness in timbre is very natural and images feel live and real but the landscape has a personality attached..ie it looks like a very good and real like a good painting but is not a photograph- Remains an enjoyable and flesh and blood painting.

Cannot help feeling I have been very fortunate in upgrades..not only in finding the right stuff but also having people who have helped in getting it working and my really big thanks to

Abhi: if he was not around this speakers would not have happened for two reasons- I heard a proper tannoy for the first time at his house ..and he got me this deal, and today they are one of the best upgrades i have ever made and hopefully my last ever speaker uograde. he is always around for a chat and sharing his experience which i have really grown to trust over the many years we have know each other

Prem - i think i have made the most SOS calls to him. he not only gave a good perspective with placements and cables but very clearly thinks about it for himself as i suddenly get a call from him with something he has come across or thought about as is excited about :). He is a person with a Vast experience in all kinds of systems/methods which he is only happy to share

Staxxx: for spending some quality time in putting it right..He left the setup he came in to listen having improvedvery well and leaving the owner with a smile :).

Hi,

Arjun, congratulations on your new Tannoys.

They will give you years of musical happiness.

Regards
Rajiv

Congrats Arjun, great going. Tannoys are legendary.

Can you share a bit of your experience with the import and the commercials? Thanks

Congrats Arjun for your Lovely Tannoy speaker. I know your room is challenging to get the best out of this big speaker. Leben cs600 and Tannoy speaker - Lovely combination. If I come to Bangalore (may happen in August'13), I shall have a forced invitation to visit your place.
Regards

Amit

Congrats Arjun, great going. Tannoys are legendary.

Can you share a bit of your experience with the import and the commercials? Thanks
That is a long story in itself !
to keep it short
1. If you are importing anything over 50 Kgs it will be considered as "Cargo" that means it will need a IEC (import export certificate). Fedex will not take it further
2. you need to bring in a C&H agent for the clearance and handling who apply for paperwork on your behalf.
difficult to explain on a post but PM me and ill give you details if you want to know anything specific
Hi,

Arjun, congratulations on your new Tannoys.

They will give you years of musical happiness.

Regards
Rajiv

Thanks Rajiv..want to thank you on adding so much info on Tannoys in the forum..all this has helped in understanding the nature of this driver family and hence forming an opinion !

Congrats Arjun for your Lovely Tannoy speaker. I know your room is challenging to get the best out of this big speaker. Leben cs600 and Tannoy speaker - Lovely combination. If I come to Bangalore (may happen in August'13), I shall have a forced invitation to visit your place.
Regards

Amit

More than welcome Amit ! its been a long time

Congratulations on the acquisition. Hope they satiate your hearing senses for years to come. BTW, hope the invitation to your place still stands. Though I had visited Bangalore once after our interaction, I had to cut short my visit and return the same day and couldn't take up the offer.:)

Congratulations on the acquisition. Hope they satiate your hearing senses for years to come. BTW, hope the invitation to your place still stands. Though I had visited Bangalore once after our interaction, I had to cut short my visit and return the same day and couldn't take up the offer.:)

anytime..just let me know when :)

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back