Let's discuss some speaker tweaks to achieve "that" sound

Which speakers are yours? Accoustic Potrait?

You can initially try disconnecting the crossover and connect the driver directly to the amp. This is what I did. Later when if you find improvement, you can make a permanent connection whereby sound would further improve (due to better contact)

I just have a pair of Wharfy 8.2s.
Will this tweak have any significant improvement in the SQ. I hope they will not start sounding like a PA system, given the diminitive size of the 8.2s.

I just have a pair of Wharfy 8.2s.
Will this tweak have any significant improvement in the SQ.

Don't do this mod unless you are definitely dissatisfied with the sound. I don't think there have been serious complaints about the Wharfedale 8.2s. If there are any deficiencies, it can probably be addressed by simpler fixes - like speaker placement, spikes, and various things that were listed on the checklist posted earlier.

Thanks - can you elaborate on the baffle-step concept? I'm not familiar with most aspects of cabinet/enclosure design.

I agree that the tweeter parameters can be an issue with 1st-order crossovers.

The below equations can be used for a Baffle-step correction:

I am using an example of 8" baffle width.
Baffle width = 8 inches
Frequency = 4560/8 = 570 Hz
Attenuation required = -6 dB
Rparallel = Re*(10^dB/20 -1) = 3.3 ohms
Assuming Re of the bass-mid speaker = 3.5 ohms
Lparallel = Rparallel / (2 * PI * F) = 0.92 mH.

By connecting a resistor and inductor of the above values in parallel there will be a step of -6dB above 570 Hz.

The baffle step is required because the sound waves from the woofer and tweeter hit the baffle and get re-inforced. But this happens only for frequencies typically above 700 Hz depending upon the size of the baffle. Hence it is advised to have a sloping baffle for the mid-range and tweeters to allow the wave-length to escape behind the baffle. Unfortunately for the woofer the wavelength of sound being too large such large baffles are difficultt to construct. Hence the bass sounds atleast -6db lower than the mid and the highs. By adding the above resistor and inductor in parallel and then in series to the speaker system the low, mid and highs are balanced in output as there is a contious -6dB step to the sound depending upon the baffle width (in our eg. 570 Hz for a 8" baffle).

Hope this helps in your design.
Kind Regards, Hari.

To reduce the Warfedale 9.6 midrange driver volume, I have added 3.3ohm 1Watt resister in series. It just worked nicely and very happy with the midrange sound now.

If anyone wants to check it out at my place... PM me.

Last edited:
To reduce the Warfedale 9.6 midrange driver volume, I have added 3.3ohm 1Watt resister in series. It just worked nicely and very happy with the midrange sound now.

If anyone wants to check it out at my place... PM me.

quite a noobie here! but how do you add them?!:eek::p

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back