LFE and LFE+MAIN

waris

Dear FMs,
I have thus doubt regarding LFE and LFE+MAIN.
I have Denon x2400h with 3.1 configuration. Speakers are bookshelf.
Based on my reading I have concluded that for small speakers thus settling is irrelevant as SUB always gets the low frequencies of speakers. This setting only affects if you have large speakers.
Am I right in this?
From denon website
"
In the Speaker Configuration menu, when the speaker channel is set to "Small" the Bass Setting or *Subwoofer Mode menu can be set to LFE or LFE + Main. This will pass all frequencies under the crossover point to the Subwoofer.

If the speaker channel is set to "Large" you may want to set the Bass Setting or *Subwoofer Mode set to LFE + MAIN as this setting will duplicate the low frequencies to the Subwoofer. If you set the Bass Setting or *Subwoofer Mode to LFE nothing will output to the Subwoofer with the exception of the LFE from a Dolby or DTS encoded track
."

Not sure what your question is. But will elaborate how this setting works.

LFE - Uses AVR crossover, to pass low frequencies to the subwoofer. Lets say you set them at 80hz, any low frequency than that will be taken care by sub and higher will be handled by speaker.

LFE + Main - This will pass all of the bass or low frequencies to the subwoofer, in most of the AVRs the fronts run full range. Normally when you run speakers as large, the sub doesn't get the low frequencies.

People who like extra bass and umph can try this. I know many people who run LFE + Main, if you have speakers which lack bass this is way to.

Depends on the listening position and room. Try both see which one you prefer.

Not sure what your question is. But will elaborate how this setting works.

LFE - Uses AVR crossover, to pass low frequencies to the subwoofer. Lets say you set them at 80hz, any low frequency than that will be taken care by sub and higher will be handled by speaker.

LFE + Main - This will pass all of the bass or low frequencies to the subwoofer, in most of the AVRs the fronts run full range. Normally when you run speakers as large, the sub doesn't get the low frequencies.

People who like extra bass and umph can try this. I know many people who run LFE + Main, if you have speakers which lack bass this is way to.

Depends on the listening position and room. Try both see which one you prefer.
While listening, I am not finding much difference in these two settings.
Again I think this setting only affects if you have speakers set to large. For small speakers (bookshelf) LFE signal as well as Low frequencies below crossover are always fed to subwoofer irrespective of what we select in the setting.

@waris

Bookshelf speakers set to large with LFE + Main will send full range to bookshelf speakers and frequencies below LPF of LFE to the sub. This means that the frequencies of 120 Hz (default) is played both by the speakers and the sub. Size of the speaker is not what Small or Large setting implies. Set to small, bass management is used, set to large, it is not bass managed.

Ideally, LFE + Main should not be used but if it sounds better to you, use it by all means.

Also, you will see a difference setting the speakers to large and LFE + Main, not just because you set the speakers large and that they are getting the full range but because you sub now plays frequencies upto 120 Hz and not the normal crossover setting of 80 Hz.

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/bass-management-basics-2013-settings-made-simple

Last edited:
Dear FMs,
I have thus doubt regarding LFE and LFE+MAIN.
I have Denon x2400h with 3.1 configuration. Speakers are bookshelf.
Based on my reading I have concluded that for small speakers thus settling is irrelevant as SUB always gets the low frequencies of speakers. This setting only affects if you have large speakers.
Am I right in this?
From denon website
"
In the Speaker Configuration menu, when the speaker channel is set to "Small" the Bass Setting or *Subwoofer Mode menu can be set to LFE or LFE + Main. This will pass all frequencies under the crossover point to the Subwoofer.

If the speaker channel is set to "Large" you may want to set the Bass Setting or *Subwoofer Mode set to LFE + MAIN as this setting will duplicate the low frequencies to the Subwoofer. If you set the Bass Setting or *Subwoofer Mode to LFE nothing will output to the Subwoofer with the exception of the LFE from a Dolby or DTS encoded track
."
LFE+MAIN only comes into the picture when you have Pure/Direct mode enabled.

There is no confusion on this. Use LFE only. Set all your speakers to small. Cross them appropriately.

The main usage of LFE+Main arises when the speakers have built in sub woofers. That's when you let speakers play the bass along with a sub. So ideally, speakers play full range to the limit of their ability and the Sub supports the speakers. Say speakers with built in sub can do 30hz in a room. The sub on the other hand can be located better for bass response and can do 20hz at the same SPL. this way you have the full frequency range covered. For All other use cases use LFE only.

Using LFE only there is no overlap of bass, amp is relieved of trying to power the speakers harder and the speakers are not burdened with unnecessary energy to produce the bass they cannot.

Know the frequency range your speakers and sub can do and tune them to play in their sweet spot.

MaSh

It will play if you have LFE+Main enabled. Rest all signal processing is disabled in Direct mode.
Does not work with my Marantz. Even with fronts set to large, and bass set to LFE+main in Pure Direct and Direct, sub does not play. Would be nice if it did.

I generally play music in stereo and some times in direct mode. So for stereo I gather LFE is preferred setting. For direct mode LFE+MAIN.
For movies I use Dolby digital mode and again I gather I should use LFE mode.
Plz correct me if wrong.

I generally play music in stereo and some times in direct mode. So for stereo I gather LFE is preferred setting. For direct mode LFE+MAIN.
For movies I use Dolby digital mode and again I gather I should use LFE mode.
Plz correct me if wrong.
Yes, ideally, you should set the sub mode to LFE and speakers to small and the appropriate crossovers.

I don't think LFE+Main works in Direct. So, if it doesn't, then even for Direct and Pure Direct, it should be set to LFE.

These are the guidelines and there are a couple of reasons for this as some FM's have explained above. But in audio as in most else, you can change it to your preference. Nothing wrong with that. What I am trying to do is to tell you what settings can be used and what will happen if you use these settings.

You can use the settings to your preference.

Last edited:
While listening, I am not finding much difference in these two settings.
If speakers are kept ''Large'' , then you can hear difference. With tower speakers, difference is more audible. It seems all Frequencies below 120hzs are send to subwoofer when "LFE+ Main" is turned on no matter what individual crossover you set for speakers.

Last edited:
Yes, ideally, you should set the sub mode to LFE and speakers to small and the appropriate crossovers.

I don't think LFE+Main works in Direct. So, if it doesn't, then even for Direct and Pure Direct, it should be set to LFE.

These are the guidelines and there are a couple of reasons for this as some FM's have explained above. But in audio as in most else, you can change it to your preference. Nothing wrong with that. What I am trying to do is to tell you what settings can be used and what will happen if you use these settings.

You can use the settings to your preference.
Okk. So that clarifies .
I would like to ask about Dynamic volume too . It makes sound clearer on lower volume and I liked it for movies. For music it seems to affect the high frequencies clarity.
Plz advise on this.

Does not work with my Marantz. Even with fronts set to large, and bass set to LFE+main in Pure Direct and Direct, sub does not play. Would be nice if it did.
Haven't tested with Marantz but Denon. Also, you have to set the front /surround as Small otherwise AVR won't route the low frequency signals to Sub (except in double bass mode).

Edit:- this is a nice article on this topic.

Last edited:
Haven't tested with Marantz but Denon. Also, you have to set the front /surround as Small otherwise AVR won't route the low frequency signals to Sub (except in double bass mode).

OM,

I tried it out with both. It does not work in Marantz. I would have preferred that it did as I feel the need for a sub in pure direct sometimes.

Audyssey 101
"Direct/Pure Direct turns off all digital processing including Audyssey, Bass Management etc"

Thanks . It's very useful.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back