LG 42LH50 or Panasonic 42G10 or Panasonic 42LZ80?

vebk

AFAIK they sell roughly (give or take 2-3K) at the same price (57k), so which one would you recommend out of (LG 42LH50 or Panasonic 42G10 or Panasonic 42LZ80)?

My usage would be:
40% Gaming (35% ps3, 5% PC)
40% Movies (divx, mkvs etc.)
20% TV (CAS / DTH).

Sound will be through a HT, so that's not a criterion. There are currently two things making me go towards a Panasonic:
  1. They have a 3 year panel guarantee (which others don't have AFAIK).
  2. I am probably going to get a Lumix camera which has AVCHD Lite, which supposedly works better with Panasonic TVs. (This is really not a big deal though).

Whats your viewing distance? Also, for Gaming I would prefer an LCD TV.

Also, I suggest you also look at Philips LCDs in the 57k price range. I really love their PQ

Well viewing distance is two-fold. One set of seating is at 8 feet from the TV, and other around 16 feet. Between my budget and recommended viewing distance charts etc. I narrowed it down to 42"

I remember back in the day my friend's plasma displayer better graphics for GTA4 than my friend's LCD (both similarly sized). And from whatever I have read, it seems there isn't a hard and fast rule as to whether LCD or plasma is better for gaming. Correct?

I'll have a look at Phillips - any particular model? The couple of models I have seen generally at peoples houses were quite bad, that's why I wasn't even considering them.

well the 42LZ80 is a 08 model,the difference in contrast ratio of LZ80 and G10is a lot,i mean here is a lcd with a 08 LG IPS panel is at the bottom end in terms of contrast vs the G10 plasma which is know for great contrast.
i would say have a look at the samsung B530 for lcds,its within ur budget and in plasma the g10.

The problem with Samsung is that their models are 40" not 42". I know that's not an earth-shaking difference, but considering that I would have ideally got a 46-47" had they been affordable, I don't feel like downgrading.

Panny G10 without doubt

Panny has also got a new shipment of G10s in the country hence should not be a problem to buy one now.

Last edited:
Well viewing distance is two-fold. One set of seating is at 8 feet from the TV, and other around 16 feet. Between my budget and recommended viewing distance charts etc. I narrowed it down to 42"

I remember back in the day my friend's plasma displayer better graphics for GTA4 than my friend's LCD (both similarly sized). And from whatever I have read, it seems there isn't a hard and fast rule as to whether LCD or plasma is better for gaming. Correct?

Personally i have seen PS3 looking really good on plasmas. There is a very good forum which will show you how good they look with PS3 games. Now though the final image that you see on ur computer screen depends upon cameras people use, the screens u view them on and the display settings u will be surprised how good they actually look.
Plasmas have the advantage of better input lag and superior motion resolution. As mentioned earlier today's LCD TVs have plenty of input lag infact a step back from last year. Burn in can be an issue on some plasmas especially some Samsungs. So images can remain burnt on the screen if you game for extended hours. These will however go away after a few hours of swtiching off the TV

Last edited:
hey guys,

could you please help me in selecting a tv for my new apartment. viewing distance-7/8 ft; usage 60% tatasky+ and 40% movies thru dvd and br rips thru wdtv. considering panny g10, lg 42lh50 and sony 42v550. heard from a lot of guys that panny g10 is wonderful tv. please help.

piyush.

hey guys,

could you please help me in selecting a tv for my new apartment. viewing distance-7/8 ft; usage 60% tatasky+ and 40% movies thru dvd and br rips thru wdtv. considering panny g10, lg 42lh50 and sony 42v550. heard from a lot of guys that panny g10 is wonderful tv. please help.

piyush.

Any suggestions??

thanks in advance

well since u are going to use TS+ which outputs 576i, so u should go with samsung B530 or the sony V550A.

But I thought a plasma would be better for sports and action movies. In TS+ also mostly i watch sports and action movies on star movies/HBO.

As a Panny G10 owner, I would highly recommend the set.

I have been using it for TS+/DVD at about the same distance (8-9 ft) and would highly recommend it.

As a Panny G10 owner, I would highly recommend the set.

I have been using it for TS+/DVD at about the same distance (8-9 ft) and would highly recommend it.

Does it gives good PQ for TS+ also because that will be the main use. I am also planning to buy a good upscaling DVD player and an Onkyo 6200 HTS so sound will not be a problem. Thanks.

Does it gives good PQ for TS+ also because that will be the main use. I am also planning to buy a good upscaling DVD player and an Onkyo 6200 HTS so sound will not be a problem. Thanks.

TS+ quality is prefectly acceptable. Of course, you cannot compare with HD quality - Interlaced SD is a bit soft, but I find that better to my eyes than the TS output on 42" LCDs that I demoed when trying to zero in on my TV.

DVDs outputting 480p or 576p are way better than 576i content from the sat box, but then I didnt think that the 576i content was better when seen on LCDs.

Have not tried any HD content so far - am waiting for my PS3 slim to get started on that :)

But I thought a plasma would be better for sports and action movies. In TS+ also mostly i watch sports and action movies on star movies/HBO.

Is an LCD better for interlaced PAL?

well irrespective of sports or action image processing plays a crucial role.the samsung B530 for eg has the chelsea circuitry a name for its image processing ,which has one of the best De-Interlacers around which is required for 576i that ur TS+ outputs.its even better then most sonys in de-interlacing.

the panasonic models irrespective of lcd or plasma has the worst DE-interlacers,so since u use TS+, u will need a tv with good de-interlacer. have a look at this http://www.hifivision.com/televisio...-viera-p42g10-launched-india-4.html#post54781

apart from that is ur room bright,if so u can forget about those deep blacks that the G10 is capable off.now just do a simple test b/w the samsung/sony lcds and panasonic plasma even when the tv is OFF,guess which has the blackest screen,it will be the lcds.now in order for a person to see those deep blacks when the tv is ON in a plasma or even lcds like samsung/sony give,is only possible in a dark room.

Last edited:
the samsung B530 for eg has the chelsea circuitry a name for its image processing ,which has one of the best De-Interlacers around which is required for 576i that ur TS+ outputs.its even better then most sonys in de-interlacing.

adder, would you know if samsung plasma b450 uses the same image processing/de-interlacer?

I took a look at it today and found it better than lg pq70 for SD. Only thing I didn't like in samsung was the sound quality.

Thanks

adder, would you know if samsung plasma b450 uses the same image processing/de-interlacer?

I took a look at it today and found it better than lg pq70 for SD. Only thing I didn't like in samsung was the sound quality.

Thanks

well yes the 09 samsung tvs be it plasma or lcd use a similar image processing,although they may vary slightly.but the de-interlacer and upscaler should be the same.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back