LG 50PK550R - got it home - (Mumbai)

shaiju_o_thomas

Got it installed today. Will run the break-in slides tonight.

First impressions - wow!

Watched Tata Sky DTH and DVD for some time. It is far superior to my LCD. Shame that I can notch up the contrast only after 100 hours or so.

Thanks guys. Your opinions did influence my leaning towards LG.

Last edited:
Got it installed today. Will run the break-in slides tonight.

First impressions - wow!

Watched Tata Sky DTH and DVD for some time. It far superior to my LCD. Shame that I can notch up the contrast only after 100 hours or so.

Thanks guys. Your opinions did influence my leaning towards LG.

Congrats.. :clapping:

BTW, What is your LCD?
Please post some fotos.

How much OFF did you get for your 37 inch LCD? Please PM if uncomfortable to answer. I would love to know how much it would cost to exchange LCDs.
I am from Mumbai, so do let me know where and how much the whole thing cost you mate.

Hey Shaiju congrats on your purchase!! Excellent. Please do post pics and your initial impressions on the tv. The 50PK550 plasma seems to have become a very popular model now!! Hope to become an owner of the same soon.

Please do try out some HD clips / blu ray rips on the tv and let us know how it is. I am sure the tv would perform superbly for HD.

Warm regards,
Venkat

No source of HD. I upscale using my Pio DVD. Am planning on a bluray player but that probably will be the next month buy. Is there any other way than the bluray player to watch HD? (no, not the DTH).

The dealer has a Pana DMP-60 for 15K (not yet bragained for it). I have read good reviews but the slow loading time is a deal breaker. Will wait and watch the reviews on 2010 models.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks very much guys (for all the "congrats" messages).

I have run the break-in slides for about 10 hours plus 5 hours of DTH + DVD.

Advice to all LG PK550 owners / potential buyers. LG is prone to temporary IR. Most of it is not due to actual display content but the TV menus. It left a very visible after-image that had me worried. Be sure to keep the contrast and colors <= 50 plus disable anything that reads "dynamic". Use the Colorwash option in between.

For the first few hours
- the screen looks a bit uneven (like LCD) but after the break-in slides it looks very even.
- whites have a pink"ish" tinge at start but again with break-in it improved

I read on couple of forums that ISM whitewash should be sparingly used as it affects the panel life. Use it continuously for the first hour on a new TV and then once a month for ~10 minutes or if you notice burn-in. Colorwash is a better option. Always have Orbiter on. It resets if you change the source or switch off.

Maybe the all of these are read and known to many but sharing does no harm.

Btw, common guys there are no pics here. I'll try and post some soon.

Shaiju, A quick question. Are the break in slides part of the CD that comes with the TV kit ( might be silly q? since I havent got the TV at home yet)

Or did you get/ download the slides separately. I just saw this link and hence the query

Plasma TV Break-In Images

Thanks,
Vivek

Vivek, I downloaded sildes from the site.

iaudio, am not very familiar with HD media players. Could you suggest a link? I'll Google it as well.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Indian version does not have the Picture Wizard and Expert modes. Any idea how to get them on the menu?

Is this true ? can anyone else confirm this, what does the above two feature do in particular, also what else have the owners of this display found different from the US or European version, i have heard UK version has THX mode whereas US version doesn't have one, can some of the owners or others shed some light on this. Also does this mean that the Indian version of this display cannot be calibrated.

Yes, shame on LG for not including the Expert control on the Indian version. Will try the secret menu after 10 hours more of break-in.

Iam risking getting called "biased against LG" by writing this but it might be useful to some.

Refer to my post I wrote quite sometime back @ http://www.hifivision.com/television/10007-bought-home-lg-50pk550-plasma-5.html#post138485

I was telling the same thing. Getting the optimal black with non expert mode was impossible with 2009 PQ series though I dont know about PK550.

Shaiju, Can you post a pic by setting brightness and contrast to '0' with a black image in dark surroundings? It will help people here compare. If it is too much of 'glowing', then it needs access to service menu to fix. Iam not sure if service menu can be accessed too.

vramak has posted his B450's pics @ http://www.hifivision.com/television/10514-panasonic-p42v20-vs-lg-42lh90-4.html#post146709 which can be used for comparison.

FYI, the service menu is also inaccessible in PQ60.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back