LG 50PK550R - got it home - (Mumbai)

Advice to all LG PK550 owners / potential buyers. LG is prone to temporary IR. Most of it is not due to actual display content but the TV menus. It left a very visible after-image that had me worried. Be sure to keep the contrast and colors <= 50 plus disable anything that reads "dynamic". Use the Colorwash option in between.

Check if you see a overall glow in the screen with channel logo etc visible after you switch OFF the TV. If it is visible, 2010 model LGs are no better than 2009 models when it comes to IR.

This I not not find in samsung and panasonics.
Also, if you can, run a screen saver of bouncing text etc and let me know if they leave a trail.

Thanks in advance.

Hmm i read on avsforum and avforum on how to access the service menu using a harmony remote although the mdel number is different, but the model posted has the same features as the 50PK550 model, so they are most probably the same, so the service menu maybe accessible in this set but don't know about the settings that will have to be changed to turn those modes on

Here are the links The Official LG PK350 Plasma Thread - AVForums.com - Page 2

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=18751532#post18751532

Check if you see a overall glow in the screen with channel logo etc visible after you switch OFF the TV. If it is visible, 2010 model LGs are no better than 2009 models when it comes to IR.

No, can't see any glow on screen after it has been switched off.

Can you post a pic by setting brightness and contrast to '0' with a black image in dark surroundings? It will help people here compare. If it is too much of 'glowing', then it needs access to service menu to fix.

Tried it and there's no glowing. Tested by selecting a black image from USB and adjusting brightness and contrast to '0'.

Will get the pics tomorrow. Damn! Where's my digicam hiding?

Hmm i read on avsforum and avforum on how to access the service menu using a harmony remote although the mdel number is different, but the model posted has the same features as the 50PK550 model, so they are most probably the same, so the service menu maybe accessible in this set but don't know about the settings that will have to be changed to turn those modes on

Here are the links The Official LG PK350 Plasma Thread - AVForums.com - Page 2

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=18751532#post18751532

International model PQ6000 corresponding to PQ60 indian model had an option to access service menu with some remote key combinations while PQ60 did not. Probably LG hid it.

Even if you can access service menu, there is no guarentee that expert modes can be activated.

Report if expert modes are accessible who so ever finds it first. That will be a good contribution to buying decision.

The IR seems to be very temp. Fades away quickly but why would a 2010 Plasma even have it in first place. :mad: Either run ColorWash or change to another channel and it's all gone.

No, can't see any glow on screen after it has been switched off.

Tried it and there's no glowing. Tested by selecting a black image from USB and adjusting brightness and contrast to '0'.

Will get the pics tomorrow. Damn! Where's my digicam hiding?

That is good news then. Some work has gone into black level out of box (uncaliberated) and phosphor trail.

Hope you did both after switching off the lights.

Ok guys, an issue with the dreaded "dancing pixels" on my display.

Read more here:
The Official LG xxPK550 Owner's Discussion Thread [no price talk] - Page 42 - AVS Forum

Can't post pics as I can't find my cam.

Saturday morning and not feeling too good about it.

Did not have this issue until about 20 hours of usage. My settings:
Cinema, contrast:49, color:50, brightness:54, dynamic off, gamma:medium, black level:low, orbiter on.

i got a 50pk550 too and am quite excited about it. wondering what cable input should i go for? any suggestions are welcome. also i am wondering why the model is not on the lg official website.
hope they have not discontinued it.

i got a 50pk550 too and am quite excited about it. wondering what cable input should i go for? any suggestions are welcome. also i am wondering why the model is not on the lg official website.
hope they have not discontinued it.

Congratulation Nishigandh on ur purchase and welcome to the club.
Stop by the thread "lg-50pk550r-owners-discussion-thread" to meet the other club members :)

Got a quote from fairdeal, vile parle west for Rs 59K, delivery in 15 days as no stock is currently available.

I am planning to join N thacker for a group buy. hes trying to get a rate of Rs 55 k.

I also got one lg plasma 50pk550r.i watched terminater in full hd version.first i saw on my panasonic 32 inch lcd.there are very big diffrence to watch on full hd on 50pk550r lg plasma.

How many of you are purchasing? I'll get best quote from Satyam if it is 4 or more.

Two of us to begin with. Dont know if other forum members have got in touch with him.

I still dont know how he can manage the 55k rate as when i was at fairdeal, the shop manager called some senior sales chap at LG and spoke to him in front of me, The LG chap said no further discount is currently possible.

I have also sent you a PM, kindly respond.

Last edited:
Ok, visiting my dealer for best prices. fairdeal is grey market? - then I wouldn't recommend even if you get it for 58-59K.

If there are more for Mumbai group purchase - PM me.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back