LG C8 OLED Burn-in & other issues Discussion

What does pos mean? Person of...strength? Just stop, dude. I'm done with you. No need to reply. Let's end it now, and let the thread get back on track.
That was a typo. Sorry. I was typing another sentence and forgot to delete it. I just noticed that. Apologies, though I dont agree with anything u said.

Also to make it clear, this guy I meant was not u but the guy who posted in rtings about the subtitle issue . I wanted to say that he might have posted on rtings just to get his attention to lg so that he can get his tv fixed by them even if he himself got it from playing some other static content. I have played that game with another company and they replaced my dac in the past. I ranted about an issue on headfi and where the company officials were part of the thread. I got it replaced in time because of this.

Then I thought it wont be relevant to say. But now that I made a mistake I think I must clear that off.sorry once again for that confusing thing. I have nothing against u.

Also to make it clear, this guy I meant was not u but the guy who posted in rtings about the subtitle issue . I wanted to say that he might have posted on rtings just to get his attention to lg so that he can get his tv fixed by them even if he himself got it from playing some other static content. I have played that game with another company and they replaced my dac in the past. I ranted about an issue on headfi and where the company officials were part of the thread. I got it replaced in time because of this.

Then I thought it wont be relevant to say. But now that I made a mistake I think I must clear that off.sorry once again for that confusing thing. I have nothing against u.

Thanks for the clarification. No harm done.

Anyway, the guy posted images of color slides of his set. Burn-in is just uneven wear of pixels. You can have burn-in even if the content is moving, but if the high brightness areas fall in the same area. TV sets running demos have had burn-in, uneven wear, pixels that can no longer get bright enough compared to the other pixels, even though the demos are constantly moving. Some people have had burn-in from Rocket League too, because the car is always in the center, even if it's moving. In the Rtings burn-in test, the area where the head of the newsreader would usually be, right in the center, has worn out more too in the news only set.

Burn-in doesn't happen only with static images. It's just uneven wear. Subtitles at peak white setting will burn some pixels in that area. It probably doesn't happen a lot as most reports come from US and UK forums, which are English speaking countries and they'll use subtitles only for foreign language. For some of us, those who watch a lot of English content, subtitles might cause an issue. Even though I have a score of 9 in IELTS in listening, and reading too, I still keep them on because during casual viewing the accent causes me to miss a word or two.

Hi All,
In the recent days I'm experiencing short power cuts in my area during night time when my 55C8 is running. Mostly the power gets restored within 5 minutes....Will it be safe to connect the TV to a inverter line or can I connect it to a 1KV UPS which i use it for my projector?. I'm planning to only connect the TV for power backup and not the Airtel box else my parents will not realize that there's a power cut and will keep watching the TV... please suggest...

Hi All, can you please share your suggestions..

Yes, you can connect it to the inverter line or the ups whichever can take the load. Better to connect it to inverter if it is pure sinewave one, otherwise any will do. Most likely the ups won’t be pure sinewave I suppose.

Thanks for your feedback... The UPS might not be pure Sinewave but will this be applicable only when it turns to battery mode during powercut or will it be a non- sinewave even when running in main power?.

In case if it runs as non-sinewave only during battery mode will this affect the TV if we just require few seconds to manually switch off the TV during power cut?...

Thanks for your feedback... The UPS might not be pure Sinewave but will this be applicable only when it turns to battery mode during powercut or will it be a non- sinewave even when running in main power?.

In case if it runs as non-sinewave only during battery mode will this affect the TV if we just require few seconds to manually switch off the TV during power cut?...
When on mains the ups provides sinewave, on battery it doesn’t.
It should not affect the tv as such in the backups short time span more than the abrupt shutdown.

Another problem that I see with turning off the OLED after a power cut while on backup is, incase the 4 hourly pixel refresher starts it is not good to interrupt it. (Vincent explicitly mentioned the same on HDTVtest recently)
So if the pixel refresh starts shutdown the tv only after 8 mins on standby.

I used to power my projector using an apc and it ran fine,also ran a samsung 40” led tv for 2-3 years on ups and have heard a lot of other people as well using ups for projectors and tv’s, never heard of any problems. Don’t know how sensitive OLED’s are.

Anyone who can do a test for me on their LG sets via Hotstar? How much macroblocking, posterization and artifacting do you see on the third episode of GoT season 8; The Long Night? Even 5 minutes of viewing, from the time the red lady arrives and then dothraki start their attack and die will do.

Also, I have taken macro shots of the Metz 55S9A TV, and it is a 2019 panel, with even bigger red sub-pixel than 2018. Blue one is now slightly smaller.

Attachments

• P1200756_s.jpg
    P1200756_s.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 16
  • P1200760_s.jpg
    P1200760_s.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Reading the history on this thread from past few days, I'm in a similar situation mentioned earlier. I got the LG 55C8 from Unilet, Bangalore to find that it has run 1800+ hours showing on the unit. I have requested for a replacement with a new unit and they have today sent the other unit. That also looks to be an open unit when I look at the bottom of the package. Good chances that these guys may have brought in another display unit and this time they may have reset the usage hours using service remote!! Would an LG service person be able to confirm if its a display unit or a new unit? Should I be asking for the refund if this turns out to be a display unit as well?

I know its been discussed in detail on how to figure out if it's a display unit, without much conclusion. The last unit I received was super clean, no signs or indications of dust anywhere except some dull finish on the stand which I could observe, the panel was very good to based on a few grey scale and RGB tests that I have run while it was at home for couple days. Anyone has got any idea on how to figure out if its a new unit? Somewhere I read the WebOS logo on a first boot but subsequent boot/startup may not have that etc!! Any clue that can tell me if its a new unit! TIA.

Reading the history on this thread from past few days, I'm in a similar situation mentioned earlier. I got the LG 55C8 from Unilet, Bangalore to find that it has run 1800+ hours showing on the unit. I have requested for a replacement with a new unit and they have today sent the other unit. That also looks to be an open unit when I look at the bottom of the package. Good chances that these guys may have brought in another display unit and this time they may have reset the usage hours using service remote!! Would an LG service person be able to confirm if its a display unit or a new unit? Should I be asking for the refund if this turns out to be a display unit as well?

I know its been discussed in detail on how to figure out if it's a display unit, without much conclusion. The last unit I received was super clean, no signs or indications of dust anywhere except some dull finish on the stand which I could observe, the panel was very good to based on a few grey scale and RGB tests that I have run while it was at home for couple days. Anyone has got any idea on how to figure out if its a new unit? Somewhere I read the WebOS logo on a first boot but subsequent boot/startup may not have that etc!! Any clue that can tell me if its a new unit! TIA.
Sadly the 55 inch is hard to figure out as it has only 2 straps which can be easily put back on the box. The key is to check while opening the packing , they way the screen is wrapped in thin foam. You have to trust your instincts if it feels brand new.
There is no foolproof way.

P.S When the dealer has fooled you once its likely he might be doing it again.Its better to take a refund or take the B9 or C9. Slightly more emi would be better than having a demo unit.

There is also another way to know the number of running hours of the TV....
Go to Settings > general > About TV > click on TV model number and then one of the option will show the number of running hours of the TV...

Hope this helps if you plan to start the TV if front of LG technician installing the TV...

I was informed by one of the sales person that if any TV which is run more than 100 hrs , customer can demand to replace the TV with the installer....dont know if this true

A similar thing happened with me. I had purchased my 50" 4K OLED TV from Vijay Sales in 2015. The TV was delivered to me on the same day. The delivery guys came in and did the basic installation i.e. stand mounted and left. I got the HDMI connections connected and everything was well. After a hour our so when I was going thorugh the TV features I found out that in the browser some old sites were showing up, like web browser history,but nothing clicked to me. I still kept on going through all the features one by one, but luckily I found the hours time and the TV had clocked 387 hours. I was shocked to see this.

Then I very minutely inspected the physical TV and found out there there was dust in the crevices of back panel, the remote was scratched. I immediately went back to VS anddemanded a replacement. First they hesitated and said that this is not a used piece. I then showed them the pic of the used hours and the sales guy said "humko bhi malum nahi aaisa kuch TV mein hota hai". The promptly delivered a new set the day and the clock on the new TV showed "0" hours used.

Since Ihad bought the set from an offline store I was able to fight and get a new set from them. Don't know if flipkart will agree to this. From then onwards I have decided that I will use the online stores as price pont reference but always buy the TV from offline stores so that ifany issues I can cathc hold of them.

Just my 2 cents here.

Regards,

Pushkaraj

Sadly the 55 inch is hard to figure out as it has only 2 straps which can be easily put back on the box. The key is to check while opening the packing , they way the screen is wrapped in thin foam. You have to trust your instincts if it feels brand new.

P.S When the dealer has fooled you once its likely he might be doing it again.Its better to take a refund or take the B9 or C9. Slightly more emi would be better than having a demo unit.
Thanks, I've got the second unit,
Some of these makes me uncomfortable
- Mfg date of the unit is Feb 2019
- After the first episode, no trust in the dealer
- the UTT displayed as 0 hours on service menu, I strongly feel that they got someone or service remote to reset it before delivery

Some of these things I'm trying to convince myself with
- The physical appearance is as good as an unboxed one, no dust particles, in fact, the wear from packing material stuck to cabinet looked like it was packed for long time
- Don't see any app added other than the ones come with the WebOS, previous unit had YouTube and also some history when used to test the greyscale/RGB
- UTT displayed 0, comp cycles displayed 0/0 in the service menu but this is I fee can easily be reset by dealer
- The software version was 4.10.55, I'm assuming it was released around April first week in the US (not sure about India though) so that means it may not have run since then or may be it was run but someone decided not to update s/w version - I'm looking at s/w version with the assumption that this is something that may not get reset to older one after the service menu reset - does anyone know if this gets reset after you do a factory reset from user interface itself? not sure, need to check

Another question if someone can help me with,,
1> I can access the service menu using the phone app, is there anything, literally anything in the service menu that can tell me about the usage of the TV, Panel etc!!! If anyone has known this!!
2> If I decide to keep this unit, does the extended warranty become must from LG? 1, 2 or 3 years? each year after the default 2 years warranty will cost ~18K INR by LG, which is onsite part replacement warranty.
Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know if the 55" come with the front protective film? I did not see front or back protective film in the display unit that dealer sent me earlier. However, I do see a thin protective film on back of the panel on this replacement that he sent me now.
Does anyone know if I reset the panel using in-stop command, does that mean it wipes out lot of configuration values that panel comes with by default? does that mean I may need to get the LG service engineer to reconfigure some of those panel settings that I may have lost by performing in-stop on the service menu (that resets the UTT and comp cycle counters)?

Does anyone know if the 55" come with the front protective film? I did not see front or back protective film in the display unit that dealer sent me earlier. However, I do see a thin protective film on back of the panel on this replacement that he sent me now.
Does anyone know if I reset the panel using in-stop command, does that mean it wipes out lot of configuration values that panel comes with by default? does that mean I may need to get the LG service engineer to reconfigure some of those panel settings that I may have lost by performing in-stop on the service menu (that resets the UTT and comp cycle counters)?
Yes LG OLEDs come with both, a front and back protective film.
not sure about the other questions you asked. Why do you want a reset if the one you have got now is a new piece, it is new right?

From then onwards I have decided that I will use the online stores as price pont reference but always buy the TV from offline stores so that ifany issues I can cathc hold of them.
Same here. I'll never buy/recommend buying such expensive items from online. In retails stores like croma/reliance digital, we can get better offers than online. Moreover, we can interact with in-person whether it is worst or best.
Even though amazon have some good return policy, Personally i wouldn't take this for expensive items.

Yes LG OLEDs come with both, a front and back protective film.
not sure about the other questions you asked. Why do you want a reset if the one you have got now is a new piece, it is new right?
Thanks, dealer says so, I'm not very sure about it and hence so many questions. I may be getting bit to paranoid about this, I'm just thinking of getting the extended warranty and enjoy watching. While LG extended warranty is bit costly, I may go for additional 2 or 3 years warranty.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back