LG C8 OLED Burn-in & other issues Discussion

We can remove the set without cutting the tie band and seal tape.... During installation I requested the technician not cut the tie band as it will might be required in case of relocation.... He then removed the TV without cutting the tie band and also without cutting the seal tape... You just need to slowly and carefully pull the top box, that's it..

Also please don't be concerned if there's no protective film in the front, I got my 55C8 delivered on 14th July - manufacturing date was 26th June 2019 with '0' usage hours.... During installation the technician mentioned the latest batch sets doesn't come with protective film in the front.... So as long as you have '0' usage hours in the TV menu i think the set is new...
I also kept 2/3 tie bands intact. It was impossible to open the box without cutting the middle tie band. Neither it would have been feasible to put it again.
Mine was May 2019 manufactured 65C8 and it had the front film as well the back one.you can see unboxing videos of C9 and they have the front film as well. I see no reason why It wasn’t present on your unit. Maybe other recent buyers can comment.
I don’t trust the installers as such, they would say anything to get you out of there hair.
Since yours manufacturing date and delivery date were close like mine chances of the set being misused/ demo unit become thin/nil. So all good.

TV installation done. Tv had protective film on both sides and no sign of usage(fingerprints or dust). Usage showed 0 hours. Didn't notice any banding effect when watching movies. And the 5 10 20 grey tests looks ok to me except the small patch in lower left end of 5%. I have attached the screenshots of the tests. Should i be concerned about that 5% test ?

Attachments

• 20190812_200545-800x600.jpg
    20190812_200545-800x600.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20190812_200659-800x600.jpg
    20190812_200659-800x600.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 20190812_200512-800x600.jpg
    20190812_200512-800x600.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 35
TV installation done. Tv had protective film on both sides and no sign of usage(fingerprints or dust). Usage showed 0 hours. Didn't notice any banding effect when watching movies. And the 5 10 20 grey tests looks ok to me except the small patch in lower left end of 5%. I have attached the screenshots of the tests. Should i be concerned about that 5% test ?

I would be happy with a new panel like that. In my research, I have seen panels a lot worse than that. I have had OLED mobile screens with worse banding than that, including the vivo v15 pro that I have currently. It should only get better. Check after 100 hours of varied usage.

I would be happy with a new panel like that. In my research, I have seen panels a lot worse than that. I have had OLED mobile screens with worse banding than that, including the vivo v15 pro that I have currently. It should only get better. Check after 100 hours of varied usage.
Yeah I only used for like 2 hours.

Yeah I only used for like 2 hours.

Have you done any flashing tests? 2018, even Sony 2019 ones, have/had this flashing bug in dark grey areas in some content. Vincent Theo called it chrominance overshoot. Basically the white pixel flashes when it shouldn't. The Long Night GoT episode was one problematic episode. You can check that.

LG supposedly fixed it with firmware but then screwed up the gamma. What's the software version?

Have you done any flashing tests? 2018, even Sony 2019 ones, have/had this flashing bug in dark grey areas in some content. Vincent Theo called it chrominance overshoot. Basically the white pixel flashes when it shouldn't. The Long Night GoT episode was one problematic episode. You can check that.

LG supposedly fixed it with firmware but then screwed up the gamma. What's the software version?
I didn't notice any flashing. May be im not looking it right.

Don't go looking too hard for it. Enjoy the TV!
Dont look hard, then u may not be able to unsee things. If it makes u any better, nobody has a perfect panel. If look closely every oled will have some tint, or some vignetting or some sort of non uniformity. Its same with all brands. Again led panels will have clouding or vignetting or some non uniformity. I know this from my friends who work in service of hi end studio equipments. Sometimes u win a panel lottery, but then it's not necessary that it would stay the same over time. I had been very lucky on one of my dell u2414h monitors( have 2 of them) that it was super uniform and everything was spot on. After 4 years , one corner lighting started getting dimmer. Its not noticeable for a person who doesn't know about these problems. But still it's better than the second one which has more areas uneven.

Sometimes I wonder if we buy TVs and other AV equipment and use them as lab rats.
The intent is to enjoy the features and positives it brings to entertainment.
Yes, there are real and perceived risks associated with any electronic equipment.
As long as they don't stare you in the face or pierce you in the ear, let it be.

During install and demo, just make sure the unit you got is what you ordered.
If there is anything obviously wrong, like a cracked or faulty panel at first power on, send it back.

Don't push it to the limit or go on a willful fault finding exercise.
Sit back and enjoy responsibly. Follow rules of usage as suggested by equipment manufacturers.
Treat your equipment with some TLC and they will serve you for years.

Cheers,
Raghu

So I got my LG B8 delivered today from Flipkart. Installation will be on 16th August. There's a hiccup though. The taping on the box is doubled. The bottom one is cut and there's a second tape with lesser width on the top. Manufacturing date is same as jonam_mafia's TV, December 2018. Should I go ahead with the installation and see if the TV is fine, with films intact, along with banding being acceptable, or should I raise this issue with Flipkart now itself?

Attachments

• IMG_20190814_140246.jpg
    IMG_20190814_140246.jpg
    629.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20190814_140230.jpg
    IMG_20190814_140230.jpg
    542.9 KB · Views: 42
So I got my LG B8 delivered today from Flipkart. Installation will be on 16th August. There's a hiccup though. The taping on the box is doubled. The bottom one is cut and there's a second tape with lesser width on the top. Manufacturing date is same as jonam_mafia's TV, December 2018. Should I go ahead with the installation and see if the TV is fine, with films intact, along with banding being acceptable, or should I raise this issue with Flipkart now itself?
Looking at the pics, it seems to have been re-boxed or at least packaging has been reinforced.
You may want to keep a keen eye during installation.
Cheers,
Raghu

Looking at the pics, it seems to have been re-boxed or at least packaging has been reinforced.
You may want to keep a keen eye during installation.
Cheers,
Raghu

It definitely seems to have been opened and repacked. The inner taping is cut on the top too. So the original taping was cut to open and then taped again. I'm going to talk to Flipkart and return it. Whatever the reason for returning, it don't want to take a chance. Open box that has been retaped isn't the same as new.

It definitely seems to have been opened and repacked. The inner taping is cut on the top too. So the original taping was cut to open and then taped again. I'm going to talk to Flipkart and return it. Whatever the reason for returning, it don't want to take a chance. Open box that has been retaped isn't the same as new.
There is also another way to know the number of running hours of the TV....
Go to Settings > general > About TV > click on TV model number and then one of the option will show the number of running hours of the TV...

Hope this helps if you plan to start the TV if front of LG technician installing the TV...

I was informed by one of the sales person that if any TV which is run more than 100 hrs , customer can demand to replace the TV with the installer....dont know if this true

Go to Settings > general > About TV > click on TV model number and then one of the option will show the number of running hours of the TV...

Hope this helps if you plan to start the TV if front of LG technician installing the TV...

I was informed by one of the sales person that if any TV which is run more than 100 hrs , customer can demand to replace the TV with the installer....dont know if this true

Ah! Thanks. Installation will be tomorrow. I'll record the opening of the box and then check the hours in front of the technician. I'm going to ask Flipkart to take it back if there's any sign of usage. Will check banding too while I'm at it.

Ah! Thanks. Installation will be tomorrow. I'll record the opening of the box and then check the hours in front of the technician. I'm going to ask Flipkart to take it back if there's any sign of usage. Will check banding too while I'm at it.
Clearly it has been repacked. Are the plastic ties in place and there are 3 or 2.Post some more pics that show the complete box.
Why don’t you call flipkart , tell them about the current situation and ask them the return policy in both cases; before opening and after opening. Sometimes it is difficult to return after opening and LG installer would never say its used unless ofcourse the hours say so. Even then they come up with an excuse that it might have been tested.
Moreover Hours can be reset pretty easily to 0.

100 hrs is way too much. Zero hours it should be. I have bought 2 65C8 , one last nov and one this june. I had strictly instructed the dealer to send me a sealed piece; I checked at the time of delivery both boxes had 3 cable ties in 3 respective depressions, single taped. Then I signed the delivery note. After installation checked and saw zero hours.Both had front and back film on them.

Clearly it has been repacked. Are the plastic ties in place and there are 3 or 2.Post some more pics that show the complete box.
Why don’t you call flipkart , tell them about the current situation and ask them the return policy in both cases; before opening and after opening. Sometimes it is difficult to return after opening and LG installer would never say its used unless ofcourse the hours say so. Even then they come up with an excuse that it might have been tested.

I have complained to Flipkart. They said I can return if I want to it I'm not satisfied when the installation guy opens it. I'll check the banding. I'll take it if the banding results are above average, films are intact and the panel is straight.

The ties are in place. 2 ties just like jonam's piece. The taping is the only giveaway. Rest seems alright. Will video tape the opening of the box.

Do u know the process to set it to 0?

For some reason the installation was cancelled today by Flipkart's system. LG couldn't send one today either. I have started the return process for the TV. I don't think I'll be at peace with it. Flipkart is saying that a technician will come and check if the product is fine or not. I anticipate fighting Flipkart to take the TV back. Why should I accept an expensive TV with a broken seal when even no one would accept even a cheap mobile phone if it's delivered with a broken sea? Will fight. Then will consider if I should wait and take the 2019 models during diwali. Anyway, be wary of online retailers too. Brick and mortar stores can send display items. Online retailers can send returned and opened items.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back