LG C8 OLED Burn-in & other issues Discussion

For some reason the installation was cancelled today by Flipkart's system. LG couldn't send one today either. I have started the return process for the TV. I don't think I'll be at peace with it. Flipkart is saying that a technician will come and check if the product is fine or not. I anticipate fighting Flipkart to take the TV back. Why should I accept an expensive TV with a broken seal when even no one would accept even a cheap mobile phone if it's delivered with a broken sea? Will fight. Then will consider if I should wait and take the 2019 models during diwali. Anyway, be wary of online retailers too. Brick and mortar stores can send display items. Online retailers can send returned and opened items.
You are doing the right thing.
I always buy expensive items from brick and mortar stores. They always match the price and many times go lower with some convincing. How much did you got it for on flipkart?

You are doing the right thing.
I always buy expensive items from brick and mortar stores. They always match the price and many times go lower with some convincing. How much did you got it for on flipkart?

113.5k plus extended warranty for 1.8k

I was getting cheaper quotes for the TV from Reliance and Vijay Sales, but the pricing combined with extended warranty from third-party companies was 5-6k higher. I'll either wait for diwali offers now or take the B9 from TataCliq after this one is returned. Stocks seem to be running out. Higher chances of such things happening with 2018 models.

This isnt a C8 but a B6. I closed my house for a month as we had to leave due to my father falling seriously ill. The tv was fine and working perfectly.

We got home yesterday and went thru the motions of cleaning the house etc and finally today, the wife switched on the tv to decompress. I was horrified to see the screen.

Lines of dead pixels and gray vertical bars!

Do u know the process to set it to 0?
It can be done through service remote. My first unit had a thin vertical line on it and when LG engineer triggered the test patterns from his service remote all my settings and logins were gone. The TV was factory reset including the usage hours which went back to 0.

For some reason the installation was cancelled today by Flipkart's system. LG couldn't send one today either. I have started the return process for the TV. I don't think I'll be at peace with it. Flipkart is saying that a technician will come and check if the product is fine or not. I anticipate fighting Flipkart to take the TV back. Why should I accept an expensive TV with a broken seal when even no one would accept even a cheap mobile phone if it's delivered with a broken sea? Will fight. Then will consider if I should wait and take the 2019 models during diwali. Anyway, be wary of online retailers too. Brick and mortar stores can send display items. Online retailers can send returned and opened items.
If you raise this with LG directly they will send u a replacement unit.

If you raise this with LG directly they will send u a replacement unit.

It's gone back now.

I'll take the 2019 model only now. Also, the red pixel seems to have been increased size this year too, which means that burn-in will happen later than 2018 models.

It's gone back now.

I'll take the 2019 model only now. Also, the red pixel seems to have been increased size this year too, which means that burn-in will happen later than 2018 models.
Where did you find that info? I didn’t see that anywhere about the red pixels.

This isnt a C8 but a B6. I closed my house for a month as we had to leave due to my father falling seriously ill. The tv was fine and working perfectly.

We got home yesterday and went thru the motions of cleaning the house etc and finally today, the wife switched on the tv to decompress. I was horrified to see the screen.

Lines of dead pixels and gray vertical bars!
Omg, do you have extended warranty?

Hope your father is well now.

Where did you find that info? I didn’t see that anywhere about the red pixels.

Exactly. It's not really being mentioned in reviews. However, you can compare images on Rtings.com of the pixel structure. The blue seems to be slightly smaller, and the red and the white subpixel slightly bigger. There's also an OLED technology thread on avsforum where this has been mentioned.

Exactly. It's not really being mentioned in reviews. However, you can compare images on Rtings.com of the pixel structure. The blue seems to be slightly smaller, and the red and the white subpixel slightly bigger. There's also an OLED technology thread on avsforum where this has been mentioned.
Just noticed - Blue is smaller and red and green are larger compared to C8.

Just noticed - Blue is smaller and red and green are larger compared to C8.

Which will make it even more burn-im resistant. My biggest fear is subtitles. I'll be using them on almost all the content I watch. A user has reported burn-in at 7000 hours with subtitles on Rtings. That was a 2017 model if I'm not mistaken and white subtitles too. They are going to be semi-transparent on Amazon and Netflix for me. That combined with two years of increase in size of subpixel that burn out the fastest should give me 10,000 hours at least of burn-in free usage with regards to subtitles. That's like 5-6 years for my usage.

Which will make it even more burn-im resistant. My biggest fear is subtitles. I'll be using them on almost all the content I watch. A user has reported burn-in at 7000 hours with subtitles on Rtings. That was a 2017 model if I'm not mistaken and white subtitles too. They are going to be semi-transparent on Amazon and Netflix for me. That combined with two years of increase in size of subpixel that burn out the fastest should give me 10,000 hours at least of burn-in free usage with regards to subtitles. That's like 5-6 years for my usage.
Isn't subtitle dynamic , means keep changing with every scene? How the hell someone get that as a burn in. He got stuck on a scene forever ?

Isn't subtitle dynamic , means keep changing with every scene? How the hell someone get that as a burn in. He got stuck on a scene forever ?

The same pixels are being used to display pure white at a higher frequency than rest of the screen. Burn-in is cumulative. 7000 hours is a long time. Over time, those pixels worn out faster. You can check images on Rtings' 07 Jan 2019 video.

Now the question is that whether displaying the subtitles burnt the white subpixel or the red one. I think white because it's visible on many colors except blue. Not totally sure. Anyway, compared to the 2017 model, both the white and red subpixels are now bigger and then using semi transparent subtitles will also help in prolonging the burn-in free period.

Also, Rtings have published their B9 review. It's mostly in line with expectations, except one major disappoint in the gradient test. It's worse than even B8. If this isn't because of panel variance, LG seems to be intentionally making B models worse than C ones.

Hi All,
In the recent days I'm experiencing short power cuts in my area during night time when my 55C8 is running. Mostly the power gets restored within 5 minutes....Will it be safe to connect the TV to a inverter line or can I connect it to a 1KV UPS which i use it for my projector?. I'm planning to only connect the TV for power backup and not the Airtel box else my parents will not realize that there's a power cut and will keep watching the TV... please suggest...

The same pixels are being used to display pure white at a higher frequency than rest of the screen. Burn-in is cumulative. 7000 hours is a long time. Over time, those pixels worn out faster. You can check images on Rtings' 07 Jan 2019 video.

Now the question is that whether displaying the subtitles burnt the white subpixel or the red one. I think white because it's visible on many colors except blue. Not totally sure. Anyway, compared to the 2017 model, both the white and red subpixels are now bigger and then using semi transparent subtitles will also help in prolonging the burn-in free period.

Also, Rtings have published their B9 review. It's mostly in line with expectations, except one major disappoint in the gradient test. It's worse than even B8. If this isn't because of panel variance, LG seems to be intentionally making B models worse than C ones.

When u talk about expectations, another fact is the best lcd u can compare an oled with wont be even half way through any expectation in terms of color accuracy. I strongly believe this guy pos
He's better now, thank you.

I got the 2 year warranty... it expired last year :(
That's really unfortunate. I know the pain. I had the same situation with an iphone and a macbook in the past. Weeks after warranty they died. And nothing could be done.

When u talk about expectations, another fact is the best lcd u can compare an oled with wont be even half way through any expectation in terms of color accuracy. I strongly believe this guy pos
That's really unfortunate. I know the pain. I had the same situation with an iphone and a macbook in the past. Weeks after warranty they died. And nothing could be done.

Ah! Aren't you a smarty. Why are you even bringing LCDs into the conversation? I don't like even the FALD sets. Did I ever praise them? Why are you attacking me personally? Just because I contradicted you? It has been proven time and again that burn-in is cumulative. Subtitles will cause burn-in over time. That time depends on the intensity, brightness setting and the panel itself.

Are their any mods here? Personal attacks for no reason allowed?

And

And oh, in terms of color accuracy, LCD sets can actually give better color fidelity at high luminance than LG's WOLED panels. Again, this is commonly understood concept. LG uses white subpixels to increase light, which reduces saturation of areas at high luminance. LCD sets don't suffer from the same problem, even if they can't offer deep blacks. However, Panasonic has a dual-cell IPS tech that's used to make high-end reference monitor. It has much higher contrast than any commercial panel and brilliant colors. It's costs a bomb.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back