LG C8 OLED Burn-in & other issues Discussion

Only wish Hotstar and SonyLiv were available on sony/lg tvs so i could watch football directly.
Chromecast or Chromecast Ultra. They are running a sale in US. It is dirt cheap.

You can always cast them! I do so if I need to watch anything on these apps.
Shows and movies are good picture quality on HotStar and SonyLiv. But live sports I still have not found a good replacement.

I have 2 questions.
This 4 hour pucel refresh thing, can it be shortened? And how long it takes. What happens if someone switches tv on while it's doing the refresh.

Also, what's difference btw manual refresh and auto refresh?

Here's another thing to ponder:
Sony in their manual says - you shouldnt do manual fresh more than once per year as it might shorten panel life.

if you're going to vary your content which will be only natural it shouldnt be too much of an issue. you're not going to be watching only 1 or 2 channels for weeks on end. for stuff like cartoons, dth etc just keep the picture mode on one where oled light is around 50 or less (ie not on vivid or hdr effect) which one would anyways do normally i guess

I wanted to understand how much I would worry if I got an OLED. So I got into 'Oled mindset' and started watching TV past 2 days.

1. Cartoons watched by my son which will probably continue for 2 more years. Around 2 hours per day, more on weekends. These seem to use a lot of static BG(yes bright green, bright red statics that are in the BG like templates). Even a lot of character behaviors seem to be happening in a repeat manner. And all in SOLID colors. These things I never noticed before, but running my brain in "OLED mode" I noticed.

2. Omni present "Tata Sky" and static Logos in all DTH. But maybe these wont be that much of an issue.

3. News channels usage would be 30 min a day. This should be alright I guess although there will be occasions when they will be ON for an hour or more during certain events. The multiple static reds are an eye sore.

4. Sports could be a problem... I watch a lot of cricket. Also during IPL those score tickers and green grounds will be plastered on the screen 6 hours at a stretch every day for 2 months. Can't be good.

The Rtings test also showed some uniformity botches in the 'NBC varied use TV' which are a different variant to the burn-in... They were all C7. Just putting down my thoughts and hopefully will be helpful for someone.

Also, for the Samsung NU8000 65" I got a quote of 1.43lac which seems good vfm which makes moving away from the OLED a little easier.

Last edited:
I m using my 55 B6 Oled for almost 2 years now & touch wood no Burn in. I check the panel with color stills once in 2-3 months to see if there is any Image retention that can cause burn in in the long run, No issues till now. My viewing habits is 20% d2h, 50% Netflix/Amazon & 30% gaming on Xbox One X. So i guess if the viewing pattern is not the same thing over & over for 100 hrs in one long straight session, you should be ok..

I m using my 55 B6 Oled for almost 2 years now & touch wood no Burn in. I check the panel with color stills once in 2-3 months to see if there is any Image retention that can cause burn in in the long run, No issues till now. My viewing habits is 20% d2h, 50% Netflix/Amazon & 30% gaming on Xbox One X. So i guess if the viewing pattern is not the same thing over & over for 100 hrs in one long straight session, you should be ok..
What games do you play? How many hours has the TV been used?

What games do you play? How many hours has the TV been used?
i play mostly first person shooters & they have HUDs that aren't super bright & colourful.

Haven't checked the hrs but has to be 1.5k at least.

Cheers.

Now the TV displaying live NBC also has very slight uniformity issues near the bottom right hand corner corresponding to the shape of the Today show logo, visible here
Bad news but not totally unexpected for OLED aspirants and fans. The varied usage NBC tv has started showing burn in problems according to Rtings. Today show logo shows up on the C7. But frankly it's pretty mild even with plain red picture currently.

NBC shows a variety of movies, TV shows, sports, and news. This should be representative for a range of general TV content.

I am now pretty sure these TVs are more susceptible to burn in after 3000 to 4000 hours to the point where even a small duration of a still picture can burn in your screen. The one encouraging aspect is its the orange/red that looks more susceptible and LG may have accounted for this with their C8 (different pixel structure apparently).

Last edited:
Bad news but not totally unexpected for OLED aspirants and fans. The varied usage NBC tv has started showing burn in problems according to Rtings. Today show logo shows up on the C7. But frankly it's pretty mild even with plain red picture currently.

NBC shows a variety of movies, TV shows, sports, and news. This should be representative for a range of general TV content.

I am now pretty sure these TVs are more susceptible to burn in after 3000 to 4000 hours to the point where even a small duration of a still picture can burn in your screen. The one encouraging aspect is its the orange/red that looks more susceptible and LG may have accounted for this with their C8 (different pixel structure apparently).
Don't buy an oled as i feel it will be stressful for you. Many users are happy wither oleds too.
Oleds aren't for everyone i guess.

Cheers.

Again, its always a lottery. Sometimes u may have burn in, sometimes your screen may survive. For example, I started playing PUBG mobile on my Galaxy S8 with a AMOLED panel in March 2018. Almost everyday an hour. Sometimes even more than 3 hours a day when I am free. Recently the thing got to my mind that it was essentially a OLED panel. I forgot to worry about it all this time, and no, the MAPs and other static elements are not yet burned in to the display. I guess there is no screenshit on the phone happening, while gaming. On my B7, I had a burn in the first few months itself. They replaced it with a new panel. I continued my viewing habits as before prepared to fight with them. The second panel did not have any problem. The first one was more uniform with whites though. this slightly has a vignet , very slight that u really have to look into it. sides are bit darker ;) But thats the best you can get. Most panels LCDs and OLEDs will have some sort of imperfection. If on surface it appeals, dont look too deep into details. I fought with samsung for my phones panel change because of the red tint. they gave me another panel which also had red tint, Then I gave up. Its too hard to explain to these people. Either they are too dumb to understand what we need, or they act so dumb that they dont want to deal with it. LG took my burned in panel, gave me back not so uniform panel. I made up my mind , after I went to the showroom and looked at the Sonys top of the line LCDs. On looking closely, it had slight clustering. Nothing is perfect.

Sometimes u win a lottery with panels. but only sometimes.

Decided to go for OLED. The heart knows what it wants. If I get burned(pun), it will be for the heart ;)

Last edited:
I own LG55C7T brought only last year aug 2017 model. had dish HD tv connection. Used to watch football cricket generally and some news some time in stretch, 5-6 hrs late evening/night mainly weekend (probably < 20-30hr week) and I will say it was under watched during this period. In just 14 month, noticed yesterday, light green patched started visible where channel information appear ( when you switch channel, horizontal bottom ) and also to place where dish tv static logo constantly remains. Called LG support, technician visited and said its screen burn panel problem and need to be replaced 80k INR, discussing with LG. Static logo in DTH signal can damage your OLED that for sure and this danger to your OLED TV is nearer than appear ( and if you are a Dish tv customer its on the way as its not transparent always on same place). Dealer is suggesting to buy 4k setup box but that too signal will have logo and same problem will appear. no technical explanation, 2.7L INR for OLED in drain. My old LG LCD HD ran 10 years without any issue. Seems OLED is untested and not a mature technology and LG is fooling customers specially when in INDIA customers right is not protected, LG is marketing without assuring its reliability and LG OLED insurance is costlier than car insurance 40K

I own LG55C7T brought only last year aug 2017 model. had dish HD tv connection. Used to watch football cricket generally and some news some time in stretch, 5-6 hrs late evening/night mainly weekend (probably < 20-30hr week) and I will say it was under watched during this period. In just 14 month, noticed yesterday, light green patched started visible where channel information appear ( when you switch channel, horizontal bottom ) and also to place where dish tv static logo constantly remains. Called LG support, technician visited and said its screen burn panel problem and need to be replaced 80k INR, discussing with LG. Static logo in DTH signal can damage your OLED that for sure and this danger to your OLED TV is nearer than appear ( and if you are a Dish tv customer its on the way as its not transparent always on same place). Dealer is suggesting to buy 4k setup box but that too signal will have logo and same problem will appear. no technical explanation, 2.7L INR for OLED in drain. My old LG LCD HD ran 10 years without any issue. Seems OLED is untested and not a mature technology and LG is fooling customers specially when in INDIA customers right is not protected, LG is marketing without assuring its reliability and LG OLED insurance is costlier than car insurance 40K
Oh man! Could it just be temporary image retention and not burn in? Please run the manual refresher. I cant imagine the channel information bar can burn in so easily. Do you normally keep the TV in standby mode so the auto pixel refresher could run regularly? What's your OLED light at?

The Tata Sky/Dish TV logo burn is a given really and not bothersome for people that watch DTH mainly(in which case you can't see that burn-in), but could the other burn-in be the cricket score thingy or is it the channel information bar that disappears in few seconds when you switch channel(thats's weird)? Is it showing in normal picture? Can you post a pic?

The C8 model has Logo dimming which will alleviate the burn-in issues. Also the newer panels have a bigger red subpixel which will 'hopefully' reduce burnin risk, so ask for the newer panel if you can in case you go for panel replacement.

Last edited:
Guys...Anyone watching lot of IPL/cricket on OLEDs with the score ticker always at the bottom? Are you guys doing ok?

55’ c8 bought on Diwali, exactly 1 month later there is 1 dead/alive pixel.
A small green dot stay on.
I’m dreading the whole process to get the panel changed.
Panel has a year warranty I think.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back