LG C8 OLED Burn-in & other issues Discussion

so oled burn in issues are horrible.please those who have oled kindly share ur experiences after usage please. this will help me to take decision to buy lg C8

I own LG55C7T brought only last year aug 2017 model. had dish HD tv connection. Used to watch football cricket generally and some news some time in stretch, 5-6 hrs late evening/night mainly weekend (probably < 20-30hr week) and I will say it was under watched during this period. In just 14 month, noticed yesterday, light green patched started visible where channel information appear ( when you switch channel, horizontal bottom ) and also to place where dish tv static logo constantly remains. Called LG support, technician visited and said its screen burn panel problem and need to be replaced 80k INR, discussing with LG. Static logo in DTH signal can damage your OLED that for sure and this danger to your OLED TV is nearer than appear ( and if you are a Dish tv customer its on the way as its not transparent always on same place). Dealer is suggesting to buy 4k setup box but that too signal will have logo and same problem will appear. no technical explanation, 2.7L INR for OLED in drain. My old LG LCD HD ran 10 years without any issue. Seems OLED is untested and not a mature technology and LG is fooling customers specially when in INDIA customers right is not protected, LG is marketing without assuring its reliability and LG OLED insurance is costlier than car insurance 40K
I m curious to know what your OLED Light in picture settings was set on??
I guess you always put off the mains plug of the tv whenever you were done watching it?
Post some pics here..

I m curious to know what your OLED Light in picture settings was set on??
I guess you always put off the mains plug of the tv whenever you were done watching it?
Post some pics here..

AFAIK the pixel refresher runs on its on once the TV is switched off after 4 cumulative watching hours. It takes about 3-5 mins is what I have noticed. Once this is done, I believe we can turn off the TV from the mains. Correct?

cheers

AFAIK the pixel refresher runs on its on once the TV is switched off after 4 cumulative watching hours. It takes about 3-5 mins is what I have noticed. Once this is done, I believe we can turn off the TV from the mains. Correct?

cheers
If you watch 3.50 hours and then put it on standby, it won't run the auto refresh and then if you turn off after 10 min the internal timer resets I think requiring full 4 hours more for the auto refresh, so better not to switch from mains.

Last edited:
I own LG55C7T brought only last year aug 2017 model. had dish HD tv connection. Used to watch football cricket generally and some news some time in stretch, 5-6 hrs late evening/night mainly weekend (probably < 20-30hr week) and I will say it was under watched during this period. In just 14 month, noticed yesterday, light green patched started visible where channel information appear ( when you switch channel, horizontal bottom ) and also to place where dish tv static logo constantly remains. Called LG support, technician visited and said its screen burn panel problem and need to be replaced 80k INR, discussing with LG. Static logo in DTH signal can damage your OLED that for sure and this danger to your OLED TV is nearer than appear ( and if you are a Dish tv customer its on the way as its not transparent always on same place). Dealer is suggesting to buy 4k setup box but that too signal will have logo and same problem will appear. no technical explanation, 2.7L INR for OLED in drain. My old LG LCD HD ran 10 years without any issue. Seems OLED is untested and not a mature technology and LG is fooling customers specially when in INDIA customers right is not protected, LG is marketing without assuring its reliability and LG OLED insurance is costlier than car insurance 40K

Usually as technology progress we should be worrying less about such issues. But after reading this I had to believe the OLED burin is more severe than what was in Plasma which was older tech than OLED.

cheers
Thats correct..

If you watch 3.50 hours and then put it on standby, it won't run the auto refresh and then if you turn off after 10 min the internal timer resets I think requiring full 4 hours more for the auto refresh, so better not to switch from mains.
wrong, its cumulative, the timer doesn't reset.

wrong, its cumulative, the timer doesn't reset.
seconded. I don't think the timer resets. have seen the refresher run on its own after 4 hours of non-continuous use. BTW you could attach a hard disk and the light on the HDD remains on even after switching off the TV when the refresher is running. It turns off after 3-5 mins so you know the refresher is done

BTW is there anything else we can do to minimize risk of burn in apart from not watching static content for long.. for instance any optimum level of OLED light?

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the correction. I am happy to be wrong in this case :)

I did the unthinkable today :p just ordered my 65 C8. My wife has told me she will go mad if she finds me checking the TV with test slides every month. I have promised I will watch TV like a normal human being.

I can tolerate the channel logo imprint, I have one on my current plasma and I have learnt to look past that. What I would find difficult is burn-in in other areas. And frankly most LEDs have noticeable DSE(Il call this mild burn-in) all over the screen :p and blooming and things like that, so nothing is perfect.

Usually as technology progress we should be worrying less about such issues. But after reading this I had to believe the OLED burin is more severe than what was in Plasma which was older tech than OLED.
I feel the same. I think plasma burn-in risk was lesser and I cant understand why they were marketed out of demand and production, despite its flaws. I am now certain OLEDs are not for everyone. Please do not buy an OLED if you are going to leave the TV on with a family who expect "do anything" freedom. I have already decided to run the OLED light at 30 for all DTH and 50 for NETFLIX/PRIME. And hope the TV lasts 3 years in good condition.

Last edited:

I did the unthinkable today :p just ordered my 65 C8. My wife has told me she will go mad if she finds me checking the TV with test slides every month. I have promised I will watch TV like a normal human being.

I can tolerate the channel logo imprint, I have one on my current plasma and I have learnt to look past that. What I would find difficult is burn-in in other areas. And frankly most LEDs have noticeable DSE(Il call this mild burn-in) all over the screen :p and blooming and things like that, so nothing is perfect.

I feel the same. I think plasma burn-in risk was lesser and I cant understand why they were marketed out of demand and production, despite its flaws. I am now certain OLEDs are not for everyone. Please do not buy an OLED if you are going to leave the TV on with a family who expect "do anything" freedom. I have already decided to run the OLED light at 30 for all DTH and 50 for NETFLIX/PRIME. And hope the TV lasts 3 years in good condition.
Wow.. Awesome. Congrats on your purchase :)

Congrats buddy :)
How much damage to your wallet :p ?

Congrats buddy, Oled Light at 30 for TV channels is super safe, Oled Light at 50 is very good & bright for SDR content for Netflix/Prime in a medium lit room setting, for HDR content you can leave it to 70-80 like i do.

Enjoy your television.

Cheers.

seconded. I don't think the timer resets. have seen the refresher run on its own after 4 hours of non-continuous use. BTW you could attach a hard disk and the light on the HDD remains on even after switching off the TV when the refresher is running. It turns off after 3-5 mins so you know the refresher is done

BTW is there anything else we can do to minimize risk of burn in apart from not watching static content for long.. for instance any optimum level of OLED light?

how does one confirm that the refresher is running? people were mentioning some light at the back of the tv, i havent seen it ever

Congrats buddy, Oled Light at 30 for TV channels is super safe, Oled Light at 50 is very good & bright for SDR content for Netflix/Prime in a medium lit room setting, for HDR content you can leave it to 70-80 like i do.

Enjoy your television.

Cheers.
It totally depends on how bright your room is. In a dark room, 30 is good. but my living room in the afternoons is like outdoors so 30 wont do, What i did is I had made the exact same settings for 2 presets with 2 oled light levels for bright and dark. To me, perception of color is hugely dependent on the ambient lighting color temperature. (afternoon sunlight, flouroscent and so on.... ) So to me there is no one setting which would work all the time, for all the rooms.

It totally depends on how bright your room is. In a dark room, 30 is good. but my living room in the afternoons is like outdoors so 30 wont do, What i did is I had made the exact same settings for 2 presets with 2 oled light levels for bright and dark. To me, perception of color is hugely dependent on the ambient lighting color temperature. (afternoon sunlight, flouroscent and so on.... ) So to me there is no one setting which would work all the time, for all the rooms.
Agree. My room doesn't get too bright. I have settled on 32 for cartoons and 45 for other DTH.

Unlike dth, motion on 24p content with Dolby Atmos which nowadays is lot of Netflix tv n movies doesn't look very good, at least not how I am used to, it's less film like... Doesn't look as good as plasma. Not just TruMotion, I think for me even Real Cinema introduces some soap opera effect. I think part of the issue is probably that the screen displays things so clearly, which makes the shortcomings of 24FPS content more apparent.

I am now trying to see if black frame insertion and all processing off is better. BFI dims the screen and so OLED light can be upped high with it. Though I feel it I'd rather see those on my dedicated HT that has a humble projector. This topic probably needs a separate thread.
how does one confirm that the refresher is running? people were mentioning some light at the back of the tv, i havent seen it ever
I would like to know this too.

Last edited:

in my case the hard disk has a light so just track that to know if refresher is running. light automatically turns off after 3-5 mins of turning off the TV from remote.

otherwise I guess 10 mins is a safe time.. dnt plug out your TV for 10 mins each time you turn it off..

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back