LG vs Sony OLEDs

Oh yes, I am comparing C7 with A8H.

Just a note though. I referenced C7 with CX and A9G (A8H was not on display) before deciding on Sony.

C7 and CX do not have any major differences in picture. For me, they were the same so settled on Sony.
There are good improvements. For example c7 won’t have peak brightness settings which was introduced in c9 or I am wrong here. Enabling it gives dynamic picture and HDR is more bright nd stunning.It even works well in SDR

Pic from another FM in hyderabad. It is as worse. CX with same firmware 03.11.30.

So no factory reset required I guess.

Edit: I did not take the picture.

Screenshot_20201127-212602_WhatsApp.jpg

Last edited:
There are good improvements. For example c7 won’t have peak brightness settings which was introduced in c9 or I am wrong here. Enabling it gives dynamic picture and HDR is more bright nd stunning.It even works well in SDR
Not much difference, Navin.
LG just made their ABL behaviour controllable by user. With high setting, the peak brightness remains similar as with C7. That’s what I noticed.

Last edited:
If it is the same on other cx you don’t have much to worry. Just how near blacks work in cx I guess .
All the reason to worry if it doesn't go away in next firmware update..
Bly manor has lots of dark scenes where it happens (not all).

Not all series and movies are good in HDR. I watch in 4K SDR if HDR looks bad. That’s where AppleTV match range feature is helpful.

Oh yes, I am comparing C7 with A8H.

Just a note though. I referenced C7 with CX and A9G (A8H was not on displayibefore deciding on Sony.

C7 and CX do not have any major differences in picture. For me, they were the same so settled on Sony.

Not much difference, Navin.
LG just made their ABL behaviour controllable by user. With high setting, the peak brightness remains similar as with C7. That’s what I noticed.
Lol it’s a 3 year old model and you are telling me the top Oled brand just worked on ABL for 3 years?. Definitely there should be difference especially with minor details which you are finding it so good in the Sony. If it’s the same there is no way the Sony is better cause when I picked the c9 I checked it with A8 and even the master series A9g. And going by your assessment the c7 is as good as the A9 then which I highly doubt cause the A9 was clearly better then the A8g. I don’t want to sound like a fan boy but it’s just my take on the subject.Yeah the Sony has crisp details, and rich PQ but LG is so darn close.This is purely based on my assessment with c9 A8g and A9g

Not all dark scenes are meant to be black. Only way you will know if it’s supposed to be black is play the scene in a reference monitor. But in this case yeah the cx is increasing black levels cause even in c9 it’s not this bad and has good black levels at that scene. Can you test this video and see how the black levels are in both Sony and cx.

Not all dark scenes are meant to be black. Only way you will know if it’s supposed to be black is play the scene in a reference monitor.
There are other ways to find out the true RGB values meant to be displayed. On my PC I checked out this vidvideo and during the debated scene, the values are #020202 on the black part for SDR and #010101 in HDR. So it's not really supposed to be black but very very close.

If you want me to test out the supposed values in other videos in other scenes, do let me know.

There are other ways to find out the true RGB values meant to be displayed. On my PC I checked out this vidvideo and during the debated scene, the values are #020202 on the black part for SDR and #010101 in HDR. So it's not really supposed to be black but very very close.

If you want me to test out the supposed values in other videos in other scenes, do let me know.
Thanks for confirming and that’s what I suspected. Just cause it’s deep black in A8h it doesn’t mean it’s supposed to be on all displays as A8h is not reference display and it could be playing blacks or other colours wrongly as well. That scene in my c9 is black enough but not deep black and I thinks it’s right,cause I use calibration slides and set black levels. So what ever is not black I just assume it’s not supposed to be deep black.So in his case the Sony is actually crushing blacks and not displaying them correctly

Thanks. So it is measurable (though insignificant) but not visible to naked eye.

CX shouldn’t blow out blacks so much. If it is a model related issue then hope there is a fix soon.

Is it possible you put up visible differences between true black, RGB (1,1,1) and RGB (2,2,2)? I guess full RGB is for PC?

Uodate:

Reducing brightness in HDR mode to 48 fixed the issue in both LG tvs. Whole video plays like sony with a 48 brightness and nothing else touched. I was working to increase it slightly above in 51-53 range to bring out the shadow details similar to sony so never thought of decreasing it but the other fm did and reported to me and I verified.

So 48-53 seem to be the range where inky blacks and shadow details play in either end and it is content dependent. Atleast sony does both in 50 setting but is 3 years old with lot of f/w updates.

Looks like some kind of dynamic contrast need to be enabled to do this automatically based on content. Anyone enabled such? That's only thing left to be played with.

Or probably it is time to acknowledge that CX is work in progress and wait for it to mature in the coming months with new f/w updates.

With sony I dont remember having black problems in the beginning but again the reference was such at that time. There was nothing to compare to except maybe a bunch of LEDs..

Uodate:

Reducing brightness in HDR mode to 48 fixed the issue in both LG tvs. Whole video plays like sony with a 48 brightness and nothing else touched. I was working to increase it slightly above in 51-53 range to bring out the shadow details similar to sony so never thought of decreasing it but the other fm did and reported to me and I verified.

So 48-53 seem to be the range where inky blacks and shadow details play in either end and it is content dependent. Atleast sony does both in 50 setting but is 3 years old with lot of f/w updates.

Looks like some kind of dynamic contrast need to be enabled to do this automatically based on content. Anyone enabled such? That's only thing left to be played with.

Or probably it is time to acknowledge that CX is work in progress and wait for it to mature in the coming months with new f/w updates.

With sony I dont remember having black problems in the beginning but again the reference was such at that time. There was nothing to compare to except maybe a bunch of LEDs..
Randomly selecting the values between 48-53 is not the right way to set black levels. Also comparing to sony8h is again wrong. You need to use calibration slides and see at what value reference black clips and select the value. That scene you said sony is displaying deep black but I dont think it is supposed to be deep black which the other FM also verified. Select black levels using the calibration slide and if you see any dark scenes that are not deep black, its what the content creator intended you to see.

This good finding.

CX is a bit crippled at this time for HDR. It should be fixed going by LG support trend.

LG controls are a bit coarse for HDR. Anyways, I feel HDR itself is work in progress :)

Thanks. So it is measurable (though insignificant) but not visible to naked eye.
That would depend on the display. 0,0,0 as well as 2,2,2 will look the exact same on an IPS display because even 0,0,0 is like dark grey.

On the other hand, if an OLED or FALD LCD (if whole zone is black) is calibrated correctly and in a dark room 0,0,0 should look completely black while 1,1,1 will look dark grey. So it's a visible difference.

CX shouldn’t blow out blacks so much. If it is a model related issue then hope there is a fix soon.

Is it possible you put up visible differences between true black, RGB (1,1,1) and RGB (2,2,2)? I guess full RGB is for PC?
Full RGB or YCbCr depends on the content and what's powering your display. You can display RGB on almost any modern TV by using a PC's GPU.

I only have an IPS monitor available to me right now for my PC so all will look like dirty greys. Also different displays will display it differently as they handle near black luminance differently.

You'll have to use a reference monitor to actually see what they are supposed to look like. All I'm doing here is using a software tool to read the actual video output. Hardware can't be trusted to display it accurately unless it's professionally calibrated.

Randomly selecting the values between 48-53 is not the right way to set black levels. Also comparing to sony8h is again wrong. You need to use calibration slides and see at what value reference black clips and select the value. That scene you said sony is displaying deep black but I dont think it is supposed to be deep black which the other FM also verified. Select black levels using the calibration slide and if you see any dark scenes that are not deep black, its what the content creator intended you to see.

50 is the value got from slides. It has raised blacks in some dark scenes. That is the problem. You dont have a CX and think it is flawless, what can I do for that?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back