LG vs Sony OLEDs

BLASTO

Starting this thread to discuss LG vs Sony OLEDs.
Hopefully some posts in the earlier thread are moved here.
Requests mods to that effect.

Raised blacks.

This sony demo below reproduces the raised black issue 100% on LG.

In LG CX, it is totally not black, looks like an LED tv at best. Starts ok but falls apart after 15 seconds and continues to be this way till almost the end. So there is ample time to demonstrate rather than to pause for a 2 second scene.
Also there is quite a bit of black crush

Pic capture around 1:00 minute mark. I have captured only the bottom left since the camera normalizes if I capture full image.

LG:
L1.jpg

Sony:
S1.jpg

Please let me know if it is the same case with C7/C8/C9, else I will just wait for the firmware upgrade.
It is not present in every video that has blacks though.

Raised blacks.

This sony demo below reproduces the raised black issue 100% on LG.

In LG CX, it is totally not black, looks like an LED tv at best. Starts ok but falls apart after 15 seconds and continues to be this way till almost the end. So there is ample time to demonstrate rather than to pause for a 2 second scene.
Also there is quite a bit of black crush

Pic capture around 1:00 minute mark. I have captured only the bottom left since the camera normalizes if I capture full image.

LG:
View attachment 52409

Sony:
View attachment 52411

Please let me know if it is the same case with C7/C8/C9, else I will just wait for the firmware upgrade.
It is not present in every video that has blacks though.
Not the case in my c9. No black crush or raised blacks

I think it is important, for a fair comparison, to post the source (inbuilt app, firestick, etc.), settings on the source and the display.

Download the latest Dolby vision demo disk. There is a demo video for deep black. If that’s over exposed then there is an issue. Not all contents are meant to be deep black. Some we may think it should be black but the creators meant for it to be grey.Btw how are u able to capture deep blacks in your camera? For me it’s impossible. For example this is the image from the DV demo disc. Except the ring the image is pitch black even the centre of the ring. But at the brightest portion the camera adds blooming and halo effect. Similarly for al images that has deep blacks and a bright object combined. Some how managed to get the black details in the other image. It doesn’t have raised black levels as in your cx.

Attachments

• 86967F8A-3E66-4A22-B00E-35D67B0451CD.jpeg
    86967F8A-3E66-4A22-B00E-35D67B0451CD.jpeg
    18.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 73A20B90-4531-4B4A-9824-43B0E1125CC5.jpeg
    73A20B90-4531-4B4A-9824-43B0E1125CC5.jpeg
    20.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
But I would still say that the panels would need to be calibrated by a professional or you can use DIY otherwise it all depends on the user settings. In my view the LGs are little harder to setup as there are a lot of settings under the expert settings.

In the Rtings comparison they said that for movies the sony is a little better and both are pretty close in PQ.

Professional calibration services are not found in India. They don't even consider it a field of income. Many engineers who are jobless may try that for a living in the days to come though.

Sony must enter the market of OLED panel manufacturing. Otherwise they would have to dance to the tunes of LG. And moreover Sony needs to improve its Remote design and user friendliness. Sony has to reduce its price too and become competitive. The only thing going for Sony is its processor.

I think it is important, for a fair comparison, to post the source (inbuilt app, firestick, etc.), settings on the source and the display.

Just played the video from inbuilt youtube app in both tvs.
Settings: started with HDR filmmaker mode. Changing to any other mode did not have much effect. Brightness at default 50.

Captured the edge of the tvs because that's where the camera is able to not normalize. In full image it normalized the image and the makes the darker parts of the screen black.

Download the latest Dolby vision demo disk. There is a demo video for deep black. If that’s over exposed then there is an issue. Not all contents are meant to be deep black. Some we may think it should be black but the creators meant for it to be grey.Btw how are u able to capture deep blacks in your camera? For me it’s impossible. For example this is the image from the DV demo disc. Except the ring the image is pitch black even the centre of the ring. But at the brightest portion the camera adds blooming and halo effect. Similarly for al images that has deep blacks and a bright object combined. Some how managed to get the black details in the other image. It doesn’t have raised black levels as in your cx.

Running the video through youtube has same results?
Even if it appears like this on the youtube video, it is a bug and can come up in any number of videos in any of the apps.
I have mentioned the way to capture black above.
Should focus on the black area rather than a bright area and edges shows better because any light in the area shows the tv outline.
In real life, you should just not be able to see any tv edges. That's easy to see.

Running the video through youtube has same results?
Even if it appears like this on the youtube video, it is a bug and can come up in any number of videos in any of the apps.
I have mentioned the way to capture black above.
Should focus on the black area rather than a bright area and edges shows better because any light in the area shows the tv outline.
In real life, you should just not be able to see any tv edges. That's easy to see.
The image I shared is from you tube only. The Ring picture is through usb.

If u have time later, post the edges the same way. Also try in pitch black.

Anyone has a CX please post. Now I want to see if it is only my tv.
As requested taken a snap of the left bottom edge. This scene in person is not the deepest of blacks but not bad as seen in ur cx

Attachments

• 46889E60-1632-4F33-ACB6-00E031EE9B50.jpeg
    46889E60-1632-4F33-ACB6-00E031EE9B50.jpeg
    24.7 KB · Views: 34
Watched The Outpost using Apple TV 4K as source.
The image looks gorgeous on both LG and Sony. The Sony has more details in the dark opening scenes. The blues in the night are stronger too. In day light scenes, Sony has more 3D like feel to the picture without feeling processed. On LG, no amount of increase in sharpness can replicate the same look. I think the Reality Creation on Sony is doing all the magic. Default is 20 and I keep at 4 for high quality sources (thanks @BLASTO for mentioning this). Even at 50 there is hardly any side effects which is good for low quality sources.

Smooth Gradation on Sony is good to hide banding. It is a tiny bit more visible on LG.

HDR (during day time) on both are good but I feel LG offers more light output and, therefore, more pleasing and acceptable.

Without side-by-side comparison the differences are not material.

Last edited:
As requested taken a snap of the left bottom edge. This scene in person is not the deepest of blacks but not bad as seen in ur cx

It is deepest of blacks in sony. In that, you cannot see the tv border. In LG there is light output. I am checking with one other person who got CX from hyderabad over the weekend. Will update.

Watched The Outpost using Apple TV 4K as source.
The image looks gorgeous on both LG and Sony. The Sony has more details in the dark opening scenes. The blues in the night are stronger too. In day light scenes, Sony has more 3D like feel to the picture without feeling processed. On LG, no amount of increase in sharpness can replicate the same look. I think the Reality Creation on Sony is doing all the magic. Default is 20 and I keep at 4 for high quality sources (thanks @BLASTO for mentioning this). Even at 50 there is hardly any side effects which is good for low quality sources.

Smooth Gradation on Sony is good to hide banding. It is a tiny bit more visible on LG.

HDR (during day time) on both are good but I feel LG offers more light output and, therefore, more pleasing and acceptable.

Without side-by-side comparison the differences are not material.
I think comparing c7 with A8H is not really a good comparison for LG vs Sony Oled battle. There are a lot of improvements with the latest models. Atleast mention c7 as people shouldn’t confuse it with cx.

I think comparing c7 with A8H is not really a good comparison for LG vs Sony Oled battle. There are a lot of improvements with the latest models. Atleast mention c7 as people shouldn’t confuse it with cx.
Oh yes, I am comparing C7 with A8H.

Just a note though. I referenced C7 with CX and A9G (A8H was not on display) before deciding on Sony.

C7 and CX do not have any major differences in picture. For me, they were the same so settled on Sony.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back