Life span of 5 yrs for LCD/LED!!! Reality or myth??/

diplomat

To my surprise, during replacement of power board for my TV, the technician confessed about phasing out of the spares by companies for models more than 5 yrs old. It's luck for customer, if the company has few leftover stocks of either power board/inverter (typically 1500/- plus tax) or the main process board (2500/- plus tax) for 32inch models for repair.
Does that mean, even if the panel has so called life of 10000hrs etc, the supporting back end electronics will not be made available to customer. This will force him to go for the new TV and in the process company ensures guaranteed sale of one unit after such period.
How many of you have come across such issue, kindly open up so that we all are aware of such issues related to flat panel TVs.
Having said the above, it definitely does not mean that every TV will be worthless after 5 yrs, the idea is just to discuss the issue in HFV and increase our awareness if the unit fails at some time after such span.

this is an eye opener ..we are moving into modern generation without logic..customers shud push companies for support upto 10year

This is applicable to all kind of stuff, especially electronics. Companies will force us to buy new TVs after a particular period (say 5 years). They will intentionally not sell parts so that we are forced to buy new ones. Sad but true.

Hi

It is true..before I purchased the Toshiba LED 3D TV I did a good research over the net on whats the difference in LCD, LED, 3D and Plasmas..also checked their pro and cons....Typically Plasmas would last a bit longer....A LED TV's shelf life is between 3-5 years....so after a lot of hard decisions and seeing that my TV requirements (USB, multiple connectivity options, front sound bar etc) was getting fulfilled..i went ahead for the Toshiba...3 years warranty.

Hope this helps.

This is applicable to all kind of stuff, especially electronics. Companies will force us to buy new TVs after a particular period (say 5 years). They will intentionally not sell parts so that we are forced to buy new ones. Sad but true.

For TV this is absolutely true. However for many electronics or electro-mechanical stuffs I have seen companies offering AMC many years after purchase. Examples being Water Purifiers, Chimneys, AC, etc. Also I can vouch for some companies who do ensure this sustained service even after 10 years of purchase for certain product ranges like microwave even without AMC

i still use a 32 sony CRT

in 15 yrs its conked only twice

the last one was about a year ago

i still got the part
it was repaired in 800 rs

the technician told me this is not the case for LCD LEDs

today the TV life is ony as good as its warranty
because thats the only thing you can hold the company by

i still use a 32 sony CRT

in 15 yrs its conked only twice

the last one was about a year ago

i still got the part
it was repaired in 800 rs

the technician told me this is not the case for LCD LEDs

today the TV life is ony as good as its warranty
because thats the only thing you can hold the company by

What is value add to thread for LCD/ LED by knowing about your CRT? On this forum it is known fact CRT lasts longer!

I also have a 25" CRT (BPL) at home which was purchased in 1996-97. It was repaired 3-4 times till now and its is running perfectly.

Most modern day products have what I call "Built in obsolescence". The product is supposed to fail in a X period of time so that you are forced to buy another unit of the same product and add on to the sales.

In the older days, this period was much more. Nowadays you can see it in all products. From cookware, plumbing products, electronics and all other types of products. Everything is "build to fail".

To give you guys a recent example, I had changed the plumbing of the entire house, and I found that the new pipes, taps, flush tanks in terms of quality are absolutely rubbish (I bought the same rubbish as I did not have a choice!) as compared to say a 10 year old fixture.

TVs are the masters of build in obsolescence. Very rarely we find modern TVs lasting more than 3-5 years without a problem.

Sometimes I also think that we the consumers are part of the problem as we keep running after the latest, the so called feature laden things and compromise on build quality, service, warranty etc.

Diplomat,
For rapidly changing technology it is not in company's interest to make products that lasts long in competative market.
In the older days, this period was much more.
+1
pardon me for little offtopic. As I like vintage stuff couldn't help notice stuff I have/had at my home...
Pioneer TT amplifier bought by my granddad (35 yrs. sold in working condition) Televista B/W TV (10 yrs.)(repairman lost it at his shop) Nordmende TV (20 yrs. given away in working condition) Sony TV (15 yrs. still using) Philips Valve Radio (40 years still working) National Panasonic Iron (35 yrs working but not in use) Siemens hair dryer (30 yrs working but not in use) Sanwa Multimeter (23 yrs working will give it to my cousin's son as I bought digital) Nakamichi Head Demagnetizer (30 yrs working).... :)
Regards.

Last edited:
To tell the truth that is the reason why I keep myself restricted from buying LED or LCD TVs (Though I have to admit that the temptation is very hard to resist), My first National Panasonic CRT TV served over 15 years, then I got Samsung CRT and had sold that Samsung after 10 years of use at good working condition, then I bought my SONY CRT which is currently running for over 8 years without single problem. That is why I am ready to invest good amount in hifi amp and speaker, but not in LED/LCD TVs.

Last edited:
I am in fact on the lookout for a good CRT 29 inches or above, preferably Philips, Sony or Panasonic.

My current one has not been repaired so far (No competent techs are available!!!)

thanks for all the kind responses from HFVians, shocked to note that I am not the only one..
but then why shall we invest so much if this is how we get trapped by companies?? you will all notice EBAY is full of components like power board/mother board etc. for LCD/Plasma (pulled category-means removed from used and dead sets) flooding all around. My be this is new way of getting back some part of your hard earned money, once the company shows you red light.
I am confused, whether to go for new panel (bigger size always temptation) or manage to watch TV using my little cutie ACER K130, after selling out the unit in working stage itself..God save us from these companies..

Problem is also shortage of skilled technician at an affordable price. Sometimes the prices of repair for any electronic product is so exorbitant that buying a new replacement seems a better option.

Problem is also shortage of skilled technician at an affordable price. Sometimes the prices of repair for any electronic product is so exorbitant that buying a new replacement seems a better option.

True. I have spent close to Rs 5,000 to fix my television. Still not fixed. :( :(

Its not that companies can't build quality products now. Its just that supporting these products over a long period of time is not profitable for them. After the HDMI board of my Marantz AVR failed, I went to a service repair guy to see if the board could be repaired. What he said is, if any digital stuff is broken, repairing it is almost impossible and all one can do is replace the board with another. In digital electronics, a lot of functionality is done by a chip which if often specially designed for purpose by the vendor and is not available for repair or is simply difficult to replace. Manufacturing older chips is a costly proposition after a certain time period so most digital electronics have a short life period compared to older analog counterparts. LED/LCD TVs, being digital is just following the trend.

Last edited:
Its not that companies can't build quality products now. Its just that supporting these products over a long period of time is not profitable for them. After the HDMI board of my Marantz AVR failed, I went to a service repair guy to see if the board could be repaired. What he said is, if any digital stuff is broken, repairing it is almost impossible and all one can do is replace the board with another. In digital electronics, a lot of functionality is done by a chip which if often specially designed for purpose by the vendor and is not available for repair or is simply difficult to replace. Manufacturing older chips is a costly proposition after a certain time period so most digital electronics have a short life period compared to older analog counterparts. LED/LCD TVs, being digital is just following the trend.

Then it doesn't make sense to invest heavily in any of today's gadgets if the shelf life is so low. Rather it is better to invest in a budget device and keep money for next venture

TVS are comparitivly cheap now .. i find 5 year window is justifying

Hi Hematwaghe,

I do not agree. TVs are actually quite costly now.

Most of times we end up buying features which we would not use and are forced to pay developmental costs of such features as part of the final price we pay for the TV.

Best example that I could think of is:

1) Smart TV. How many of FMs who buy it use it anyway? A good media player could do the same job much better and at a much cheaper rate.
2) I am sure given a choice between smart TV and FHD most people would choose FHD.
3) If so how come we find so many TV panels with "Smart TV" but not FHD?
4) What about MHL? Cant a good old wire do the same function?
5) Touch screen/swipe features?

I am sure if many of features could be stripped off an average panel, the final cost to consumers would be much less than what we end up paying?

That is the business tricks of the Major brands.Tying up features with their top tvs. Marketing gimmicks. Moreover who watches that old big dubba tv .Even lower middle classes also switched over to lcd and led tvs. Due to space constraints and feel good factor and it is more now a decorative part of living rooms.Yes everyone wants to have more life to the flat panels.My 32 samsung lcd tv running on and completed 4 yrs now.We want atleast 7 to 8 yrs before looking for a new one. 12yrs and 15yrs; forget those kind of shelf life now.Which modern product gives shelf life of those long years.Even crt will have picture tube problem after 8 yrs.CRT days gone now.we need to move on to new tech.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back