Linux or windows vista for music

The thing is Moser - AIMP2 ticks all the right boxes as far as functionality for a media player goes. The only thing lacking in this is the ASIO support.

There is another media player that is up and coming. Musicbee. It is not as light weight as AIMP2 but it holds some promise. Happily I was among the earliest people requesting the author for an ASIO plugin and the author has obliged. Am looking forward to testing this as well.

Will check it out. Right now cPlay has become the gold standard for me and nothing, not even Foorbar is coming close to its output. The clarity via cPlay is definitely a couple of notches higher.

Will check it out. Right now cPlay has become the gold standard for me and nothing, not even Foorbar is coming close to its output. The clarity via cPlay is definitely a couple of notches higher.

Also Moserw - I have switched from SRC to SOX resampling on my foobar and I do like it a little bit better. Do try this out as well when you get a chance. There is a separate SOX resampler plugin for this.

cPlay is strictly out of this league - as you and I have experienced for quite some time now:)

Also Moserw - I have switched from SRC to SOX resampling on my foobar and I do like it a little bit better. Do try this out as well when you get a chance. There is a separate SOX resampler plugin for this.

cPlay is strictly out of this league - as you and I have experienced for quite some time now:)

Did not try SoX yet, but in case you are not aware cPlay is out with a new version 2.26 and its with both SRC and SoX resamplers. Have not played around with it yet. Will give SoX a go now that you've mentioned it.

One doubt - how does one do software resampling in linux, the way one can use SSRC to convert 44.1<-> 48 or 96k in foobar in windows XP ?

Did not try SoX yet, but in case you are not aware cPlay is out with a new version 2.26 and its with both SRC and SoX resamplers. Have not played around with it yet. Will give SoX a go now that you've mentioned it.

Oh wow - I am going to try if I can retain the current cPlay with SRC and also try out cPlay with SOX resampling. Lets see how that goes. I am not sure that it is possible though.

Let me know what you find out with Sox - personally I am impressed.

Moser - we should have one thread dedicated to music playback perfection on the PC where we can also keep a tab on cPlay and allied tools and latest updates. What say?

One doubt - how does one do software resampling in linux, the way one can use SSRC to convert 44.1<-> 48 or 96k in foobar in windows XP ?

I am not sure if players such as Rhythmbox or Juk or Amarok support resampling. If they do, then you can change the resampling rate as you prefer.

The thing is I dont think foobar is available for Linux - if I am not mistaken. Although one can still run it through Wine (an emulation software).

thanks thevortex and moserw. however SoX appears to be a converter program. like thevortex said, I need a plugin that can do it in real time. But I'm no programmer, so I guess I'll have to twiddle my thumbs until someone actually makes one.
ALSA sample rate conversion - Hydrogenaudio Forums

this is the best info I've come across searching , but still no idea how to do it

Oh wow - I am going to try if I can retain the current cPlay with SRC and also try out cPlay with SOX resampling. Lets see how that goes. I am not sure that it is possible though.

Let me know what you find out with Sox - personally I am impressed.

You can configure both and switch between both. cPlay interface has definitely improved a bit, not much though.

The thing is Moser - AIMP2 ticks all the right boxes as far as functionality for a media player goes. The only thing lacking in this is the ASIO support.

There is another media player that is up and coming. Musicbee. It is not as light weight as AIMP2 but it holds some promise. Happily I was among the earliest people requesting the author for an ASIO plugin and the author has obliged. Am looking forward to testing this as well.

Musicbee is impressive. Supports ASIO too. Quite good, but not a cPlay beater yet. Billy Joel's vocals and piano are still clearer on cPlay on comparison. But yes it does hold promise... or has cPlay ruined me for everything else?

Musicbee is impressive. Supports ASIO too. Quite good, but not a cPlay beater yet. Billy Joel's vocals and piano are still clearer on cPlay on comparison. But yes it does hold promise... or has cPlay ruined me for everything else?

Like I told you, moser - there is cPlay. Then there are a host of other apps. They can compete between themselves. There is no touching cPlay.

But see - a lot of the old movie songs I have are MP3. So, that is where the other apps come into play. cPlay rules as far as serious listening goes.

Install to two different directories - you mean?

No. You can select either and "apply" the settings and cPlay will accept the changes on the fly. You are right SoX is definitely better. Per specs it goes up to 175dB it seems and at that setting the difference is perceptible and much better too.

Like I told you, moser - there is cPlay. Then there are a host of other apps. They can compete between themselves. There is no touching cPlay.

But see - a lot of the old movie songs I have are MP3. So, that is where the other apps come into play. cPlay rules as far as serious listening goes.

That's correct. I've some CDs ripped in Apple lossless on my brother's MacBook and need to fall back on Foobar to play them.

No. You can select either and "apply" the settings and cPlay will accept the changes on the fly. You are right SoX is definitely better. Per specs it goes up to 175dB it seems and at that setting the difference is perceptible and much better too.

Unfortunately my HTPC rig is not a quad monster like yours:). Its just an AMD Athlon X2. So, I am not using the highest db setting in cPlay while playing as I recall having read that it could be highly CPU intensive. One of these days I am going to try it out though just for the heck of it.

Let me download this latest version. 2.6, is it? Looking forward to it.

Unfortunately my HTPC rig is not a quad monster like yours:). Its just an AMD Athlon X2. So, I am not using the highest db setting in cPlay while playing as I recall having read that it could be highly CPU intensive. One of these days I am going to try it out though just for the heck of it.

Let me download this latest version. 2.6, is it? Looking forward to it.

Actually I'm also using a dual core by Intel. The quad core is lying around unused and waiting for a media center to be setup on it. The highest 4b9 version does not play on my dual core either but plays perfect on the quad core. On the dual core Intel though I'm using the highest dB settings on the ssse3b9 version and the CPU is going to about 6-8% for cPlay, that's all. No real high CPU usage like claimed.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back