List of good drivers for Diy enthusiasts

Naveenbnc

Hi Guys... throughout your diy journey, you might have done so many experiments with differnt drivers.

Can you let us know a few good drivers you came across please???
It helps new people like me to try to build diy speakers.

Just a few words about the drivers .... Like why it is good.... And in which area its good...
Is it musical, or suitable for movies, soft sound or punchy ... mids or good, or bass is good....Etc etc will help a lot...

There are thousands of models out there....
Lets say we mention at least two or three good models in different sizes like 4" 6" 8" etc .....it will be fine too.... just my taught....

Thanks a lot in advance

Last edited:
I am not into into a DIY but I can tell you for sure by isolating the driver properties it's impossible to give a sure shot view on how it will sound
The crossover , the cabinet, bracing, cabling, type of speaker being made has an equally big influence as the driver construction on how it will sound

That is why people always try and learn
That's the best way to gain experience and also due to the fact not everyones desired sound is same

Thankyou rikhav.... Absolutely agree with you. May be my question itself is a bit vague.
There are so many factors like you said.

But lets say I'm searching for an 8" driver in a specific budget,.... our diy people can surely pick a few models that are inherently good in terms of specs, and performance. Cabinet, crossover etc are additional bonus to make it much better.....

Just my thought though......lets see if we get some directions....

Last edited by a moderator:
My personal favorite are the vifa/scanspeak p17w xxx series woofers. Why? They have very good midrange for a woofer that can go deep with bass. If designed right, it can produce a 30-35hz range with lot of "control" On lower notes. Cheaper drivers lack that. Also scanspeak silk horn H26tg tweeters. They require quite less power to produce lot of sound due to the horn, and they don't sound cheap. I like the horn version over its Dxxtgxx series.

In a budget 12" full range segment..
... I read in many threads that AHUJA SK12FRX is a good one.

Just some directions based on our diy experiences will help to consolidate some good drivers.

My personal favorite are the vifa/scanspeak p17w xxx series woofers. Why? They have very good midrange for a woofer that can go deep with bass. If designed right, it can produce a 30-35hz range with lot of "control" On lower notes. Cheaper drivers lack that. Also scanspeak silk horn H26tg tweeters. They require quite less power to produce lot of sound due to the horn, and they don't sound cheap. I like the horn version over its Dxxtgxx series.
awesome !!!! thanks for sharing :):)

Last edited by a moderator:
You may add the Philips /Boston HiQ 8"FRs to the list for its excellent mids. I had run them in OB for a while and now planning to make a OB center channels with those.

..... Are there any other drivers 6" and above size...that are very good in mids and bass ??? (Highs will be taken care by tweeter)
(hifitoaster suggested few models above)

some drivers are very hard to find in market.
sharing the models that are easily available is also a great help

Last edited:
There are a lot of good drivers but it all depends on your budget.I can tell the models but your purpose is for listening music or for movies etc.

There are a lot of good drivers but it all depends on your budget.I can tell the models but your purpose is for listening music or for movies etc.
This thread is not for a specific requirement. Its a generic thread so that people will tell about a few drivers they are impressed with. That's why I requested to say very briefly in which area a specific driver is good. Lets see....

Isophon Oval 9x12" Alnico, Matsushita 8P W1 Alnico, Calrad 8" FR Ferrite, Calrad CT4 Horn Tweeter Ferrite, Zenith 12" CZ8562 Alnico FR, R&A Wolverhampton FR Alnico, Jensen 4" Cone Tweeter Alnico, Coral Triaxial 12 TX-1 Alnico, JBL LE14A, Peerless Denmark 7" Carbon woven cone Ferrite minrange, JBL Le8T Alnico, Betsy 8" Ferrite, JBL D-250X CD.

Sorry, some of them are rare but almost all of them are OB worthy beauties.
Many unknown names for new people !!!☺️☺️☺️

Thanks a lot for sharing !! Experience speaks ☺️☺️

I have been pretty impressed with Dayton Audio drivers which offer many flavors to suit the DIY need.
subwoofers, woofers, midrangers, wide banders, full rangers, tweeter varieties, almost all sizes are available. They provide detailed specs with f/r curves etc.
Now they have also added active solutions like DSP and amps as well.
The other band is Tangband.
Then you have Vifa, Peerless and some other brands. At the higher end of the flavor are Scanspeak, some Fostex drivers and feastrex drivers.

I have been pretty impressed with Dayton Audio drivers which offer many flavors to suit the DIY need.
subwoofers, woofers, midrangers, wide banders, full rangers, tweeter varieties, almost all sizes are available. They provide detailed specs with f/r curves etc.
Now they have also added active solutions like DSP and amps as well.
The other band is Tangband.
Then you have Vifa, Peerless and some other brands. At the higher end of the flavor are Scanspeak, some Fostex drivers and feastrex drivers.

Any one incorporated these speakers in their build? What is the design used and overall experience?

https://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w8-1808-8-neodymium-full-range-driver--264-894

Hi Rikhav bhai

This is Suresh Lalwani
How are you doing.
I saw your pictures of the speakers. Very clear. How did you execute this.
All my MTNL lines are down. Cell #9820338986
Come over when you can.Selling the Maggies. Now they sound better than ever before but what I am buying is POSITIVELY BETTER.
Wrm Regards
Suresh

Isophon Oval 9x12" Alnico, Matsushita 8P W1 Alnico, Calrad 8" FR Ferrite, Calrad CT4 Horn Tweeter Ferrite, Zenith 12" CZ8562 Alnico FR, R&A Wolverhampton FR Alnico, Jensen 4" Cone Tweeter Alnico, Coral Triaxial 12 TX-1 Alnico, JBL LE14A, Peerless Denmark 7" Carbon woven cone Ferrite minrange, JBL Le8T Alnico, Betsy 8" Ferrite, JBL D-250X CD.

Sorry, some of them are rare but almost all of them are OB worthy beauties.

Are Oval speakers should be in OB? How about the LF from Alnico speakers in OB? Thanks.

If done right with the crossover and settings, Oval produces the best midrange you ever heard in an OB.

The thread is about drivers and I don't wish to overwhelm the thread with OB and OB worthy drivers but would share some interesting builds, since you asked:

An amazing multi driver OB was made using this very Oval for midrange duty. One of the most revealing and musical OB built by a friend using all passive crossover networks and Alnico drivers including woofers, driven by 6c33c tube amplifier and sourced from a CDP and a Double Crown TDA1541 DAC !!!

View attachment 28873

Another simple Oval OB setup, very musical, defines what midrange is all about:

View attachment 28874
Looks awesome !!! Thank you for sharing ,,

An amazing multi driver OB was made using this very Oval for midrange duty. One of the most revealing and musical OB built by a friend using all passive crossover networks and Alnico drivers including woofers, driven by 6c33c tube amplifier and sourced from a CDP and a Double Crown TDA1541 DAC !!!

Thank you yogibear, fantastic combination! Music through this will be blissful without any signs of fatigue . Thanks.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back