Little advise please

This mobo as per the user manual says it supports HDMI 1.4a and says it can pass through multi channel audio to external decoder (AVR etc). I dont think OP has to buy anything extra now!!!

Where neo? I could not find anything that says "pass through multi channel audio to external decoder" in the manual?? I might have missed it. (infact i could not even find the phrase "Dolby" forget DolbyTrueHD) I still remember Z77 does not support HD Audio Bitstreaming, but as I said I might be wrong ... can you please point me to the page that says this?

Last edited:
yes funny but correct and well expert in my area of interest...... missing the sig does not state a thing and the fact still remains same, P8Z77V PRO in all probabililty dose not support HD Audio bitstreaming. I might still be wrong, but the info you provided from the website does not state a thing, is ambigious and vague and is a proof of your knowldge in the stated topic

PS: Here something for you to ponder ..

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- HDMI Bitstreaming

Post no 3

This is for P8Z77-V LE but I assume should still hold true for Pro.
Sorry I didnt know you was an expert. I didnt mean to make fun of you.
I just thought he need not buy a new card, for just 3 months as he was already upgrading to the NVidia. More like a stop gap arrangement.

This from asus website.
ASUS Crystal Sound
DTS Connect

Expand Your PC Audio Experience
To get the most out of your audio entertainment across all formats and quality levels, DTS Connect combines two enabling technologies. DTS Neo:pC upmixes stereo sources (CDs, MP3s, WMAs, internet radio) into as many as 7.1 channels of incredible surround sound. Consumers can then connect their PC to a home theater system.DTS Interactive is capable of performing multi-channel encoding of DTS bitstreams on personal computers, and sending encoded bitstreams out of a digital audio connection (such as S/PDIF or HDMI) designed to deliver audio to an external decoder.

Again i am sorry if i rattled your cage in any way.

^^ Chill .... remember I might still be wrong, with the processor he is using 2500K i3, has intel HD graphics 3000 that does support HD Audio bitstreaming, but the chipset has to support it like H55 does, Z77 doesnt. However with latest drivers or bios update it might ... :), you never know ... ... :), thats the reason I said doesnt work out of the box.

Last edited:
yep i5 is what I meant i3 was a typo, both have HD3000 graphics, both are second gen core processors ... I have an i7 2600K .. OC@4Ghz.. :)

Where neo? I could not find anything that says "pass through multi channel audio to external decoder" in the manual?? I might have missed it. (infact i could not even find the phrase "Dolby" forget DolbyTrueHD) I still remember Z77 does not support HD Audio Bitstreaming, but as I said I might be wrong ... can you please point me to the page that says this?

tuff already copy-pasted the description from the manual :)

tuff already copy-pasted the description from the manual :)

Come one dude, there is nothing that remotely means .."pass through multi channel audio to external decoder" ... I think you getting confused between Multi-streaming and Multi Channel ... :).

Download the manual, and see there is no mention of multichannel passthrough to external decoder ...:)

" Consumers can then connect their PC to a home theater system.DTS Interactive is capable of performing multi-channel encoding of DTS bitstreams on personal computers, and sending encoded bitstreams out of a digital audio connection (such as S/PDIF or HDMI) designed to deliver audio to an external decoder"

Thought it means, we can pass through the 5.1/7.1 channel audio over SPDIF/HDMI to external decoder (AVR). May be OP needs to check if it can actually do that!!!

I have a slightly related question.
How can we check if a certain computer can do "HD audio" as mentioned in this thread?

I have a Dell XPS 435MT with X58 chipset, Dell's motherboard, SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6750 graphics card, SPDIF out and separate 3.5 mm outputs for each channel on the back.

I do not have any AVR nor do I have any high end speakers to test/ feel the sound.

I would say Yes. Your Graphics card SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6750 does support multi-channel audio over HDMI. But the only way to test it is to plug into a receiver.

I have a differing understanding. Since HDMI belongs to and will always remain in control of graphics card/Processor, Looking at the specs of motherboard audio decoder chip would be looking in the wrong direction. It would be meaningful only if one was using the onboard SPDIF jack or the analog outs.
Newer graphics processors, however basic they might be, will most probably have the capability to bit stream audio. I tend to believe this because offloading processing to a third party is generally easy to achieve then investing in additional hardware to process and send it.
As far as OP is considered, I believe he will be able to bitstream audio to his receiver, if he selects the HDMI out as the default sound device and properly configures his player (MPC-HC,kodi,vlc,kmplayer/potplayer etc) to bitstream audio rather than to process and send it.

" Consumers can then connect their PC to a home theater system.DTS Interactive is capable of performing multi-channel encoding of DTS bitstreams on personal computers, and sending encoded bitstreams out of a digital audio connection (such as S/PDIF or HDMI) designed to deliver audio to an external decoder"

Thought it means, we can pass through the 5.1/7.1 channel audio over SPDIF/HDMI to external decoder (AVR). May be OP needs to check if it can actually do that!!!

you picked the line out of context from the entire description .... Dont forget the previous line ......

"DTS Connect combines two enabling technologies. DTS Neo:pC upmixes stereo sources (CDs, MP3s, WMAs, internet radio) into as many as 7.1 channels of incredible surround sound. Consumers can then
.......connect their PC to a home theater system.DTS Interactive is capable of performing multi-channel encoding of DTS bitstreams on personal computers, and sending encoded bitstreams out of a digital audio connection (such as S/PDIF or HDMI) designed to deliver audio to an external decoder"

He is talking about DTS interactive streams (NEO:pC), which is not even proper DTS, its like what we have on Dolby called Pro Logic. It just upmixes stereo sound to be channeled through 5.1 speaker set. This is no way even remotely means HD Audio Bitstreaming.

I have a differing understanding. Since HDMI belongs to and will always remain in control of graphics card/Processor, Looking at the specs of motherboard audio decoder chip would be looking in the wrong direction. It would be meaningful only if one was using the onboard SPDIF jack or the analog outs.
Newer graphics processors, however basic they might be, will most probably have the capability to bit stream audio. I tend to believe this because offloading processing to a third party is generally easy to achieve then investing in additional hardware to process and send it.
As far as OP is considered, I believe he will be able to bitstream audio to his receiver, if he selects the HDMI out as the default sound device and properly configures his player (MPC-HC,kodi,vlc,kmplayer/potplayer etc) to bitstream audio rather than to process and send it.

The chipset should also support it, the onboard GPU audio bitstreaming. Z77 does not ASAIK, if the op uses dedicated GPU, yes then he will be able to bitstream HD Audio.

you picked the line out of context from the entire description .... Dont forget the previous line ......

"DTS Connect combines two enabling technologies. DTS Neo:pC upmixes stereo sources (CDs, MP3s, WMAs, internet radio) into as many as 7.1 channels of incredible surround sound. Consumers can then
.......connect their PC to a home theater system.DTS Interactive is capable of performing multi-channel encoding of DTS bitstreams on personal computers, and sending encoded bitstreams out of a digital audio connection (such as S/PDIF or HDMI) designed to deliver audio to an external decoder"

He is talking about DTS interactive streams (NEO:pC), which is not even proper DTS, its like what we have on Dolby called Pro Logic. It just upmixes stereo sound to be channeled through 5.1 speaker set. This is no way even remotely means HD Audio Bitstreaming.

These specs are always misleading. Would appreciate if the OP would check if his MB supports pass through :)

These specs are always misleading. Would appreciate if the OP would check if his MB supports pass through :)

No not from a quality prroduct, like ASUS or gigabyte or MSI as well for that matter, if this had been an xyz unknown brand modo I would have agreed, but for established brands known for their quality, speacs are not misleading, they might be a bit confusing, or tricky to undrstand but not misleading/wrong.

None the less OP is most welcome to check .... :)

Last edited:
No not from a quality prroduct, like ASUS or gigabyte or MSI as well for that matter, if this had been an xyz unknown brand modo I would have agreed, but for established brands known for their quality, speacs are not misleading, they might be a bit confusing, or tricky to undrstand but not misleading/wrong.

None the less OP is most welcome to check .... :)

Telling from my experience... Bought Asus M5A78L/USB3 last year since nowhere it was mentioned in the manual that the HDMI port only supports Stereo while SPDIF supports pass through. But since my speaker set was all analog, I could put 6 channel analog output to good use. While I still have to use SPDIF when I attach this to my AVR since HDMI supports only Stereo.

Thats omiting information not putting wrong/misleading info, they did not say HDMI will support passthrough, they just did not mention it would only support stereo explicitely ... ... :D ... But I get you ... usually specs mislead you .... I however have seen, with good brands, that know their product, they might not include the details, but would aviod putting false/misleading info .... :)

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back