Living with the Genelecs

yes since they are tri- spiked
but that only happens when you push

other than that the mass helps giving the speaker a grounded feeling

rememebr higher is ok
lower is a mistake when you mount speakers

Awesome Santy never heard them but looks cool and I am sure they sound good as well....By the way nice write up.. straight from the heart :)

^^^Yes magma. The only contact between the speaker and the ground is that rubber iso-pod and three needle sharp spikes. It is a commendable job from you, I forgot to mention in the original post. Thank you. First thing I do when an FM visits me is to ask them lift one of the stands. Not that they can't, but they try carefully, get the idea and step aside. I own the grin that comes thereafter. They ARE VERY HEAVY.

I should have kept the height an inch or two shorter though. My mistake. Wil try to truncate it if possible with your support. I wish to state that despite being so heavy, its easy to topple them when tilted diagonally. Ofcourse its understandable. Its the case with any 3 legged stands.

I will connect with you regarding the top plate you are referring to.

Here's a pic I clicked soon after assembling your creation. I love the DuPont matte finish.

9294457866_e527812deb_o.jpg

Really awesome looking stands.

Magma--> respect! It is great to see someone who takes such pride in their work!

Thanks for a great review and excellent pictures, Santy! Congrats on a very well-thought-out setup.

If I ever go the HT way, this is exactly the setup I'd get: 7 Genelecs and a pre-pro.

I'd been lucky to experience a very similar setup quite a few years back: 7.1, with the big, badass Genelecs and that huge sub (and a very expensive projector & screen combo) at a movie director's place here. He'd imported the entire shebang at a cost so high that I cannot speak of it without getting palpitations. A friend of mine had set up this small private theater, and that is how I was able to spend a few minutes enjoying this setup. I will never forget the experience. And since Genelecs sound exactly the same with just the dB level (and to some extent the low frequency response) being different, I'm sure your setup sounds very, very similar.

Enjoy! :)

Today, listening to the Genelec 8030as at home is nothing short of exciting. While enjoying the music itself, concentrating on the vocals, analyzing the layering of instruments and realizing the big soundstage and the darkness behind was all running simultaneously in the mind when the Genelecs sing. The full bodied sound is crisp and fast and it doesnt miss a bit or byte of sound above 55 hz. I could hear all nuances in the music of my favourite tracks and some instruments never noticed before, sprang to life. The sound is so detailed and agile that you can hear the fingers smearing on the tablas membrane. The purity of the vocals and its focus at the centre helps in visualizing the singer at a good distance from the musicians. The crunchiness of the snares and crispness of the brass instruments makes the eyes to shrink without hurting the ears. People who heard music on it insisted me twice or thrice to ascertain if the sub was on. I had to pull the power plug to prove it isnt. To that extent the monitors dig deep, at the same time keeping it tight and fast paced too. Even at low volumes, the bass maintains its texture.

For the size, these monitors are really loud and they dont distort at high volumes either as long as it is fed with clean music. For a bday party at home, I had purposefully set up the puny 8020bs which made the first of the guests to walk in chuckle at it. Then as expected, the heads started to turn as the decibels were raised. They started looking into all corners of space searching for speakers. That was priceless.

The thought of using these for HT itself gave goosebumps to me. And luckily the deal in which the used speakers were bought, had more than a few pieces. Wired to the Emotiva UMC200, the 8030a for the fronts and 8020b's for the surrounds have created that perfect little theatre I dreamt of. I could see the 8020Bs feeling insulted for placing them as surrounds- because along with a fast sub, they are enough to make a great stereo setup. Well, it is this single active speaker doing the duty of centre channel, I believe has actually brought the theatre to home. It sounds simply big and the vocals are amazingly clear that you even the breathe of the artists are heard. The resolution is maintained even at most dynamic and demanding scenes. All speakers together effortlessly does the job of slamming me to the back of my seat. Active Theatre. Nice to call it that way.

Ever since the Genelecs came home, I do not know why, I have spent a lot more time simply gazing at them rather than listening to.

Santy, its touching to read all that you have written and I can feel it comes straight from the heart! My first Genelec experience that happened just before Y2K was quite similar, so I can well imagine what you have been experiencing. Feels so good to read real users experiences like yours

Santy, its touching to read all that you have written and I can feel it comes straight from the heart! My first Genelec experience that happened just before Y2K was quite similar, so I can well imagine what you have been experiencing. Feels so good to read real users experiences like yours

Thanks Prashant ji. It was at your showroom we realized the true potentials of Genelec.

Also wanted to know, Does this have DSP built in? Or are you using any computer based software for that?
Does DSP really improve how the speakers sound in a particular room a lot?

Hey Arhantd, the models 8030A & 8020B that Santy has are pure analog models without DSP. Genelec's present DSP models are 8240A, 8250A & 8260A which offer automatic calibration of level, frequency response, phase & time-of-arrival (delay). Also advanced automatic configuration of multiple internal notch filters to notch out room modes.

@ Santy - Nice review.

I totally agree and have exactly same views on Genelec as Santy.
Attached are pics of my 2.0 setup of 8030. Installed as per genelec recommendation:
1) 1.2 m - 1.5 m height - wall mounted
2) directed towards listener, towed in.

Yes, listening to music on genelec is bliss. It gives earphone quality listening in bookshelf, in normal room (ie room w/o any acoustics corrections). These sound good even w/o DSP. DSP may be required for very accurate monitoring, but for regular home use, w/o DSP is also great. I am running them directly thru NA7004 and using NA7004 as DAC. One observation I had, wall mounted gives equal SQ as on stands. With my older Quads, sounded good only on stands. But with genelec, they sound good even when wall mounted. Also, to keep them above recommended 1.2m height, a speakers stand will look quite odd.

My wishlist is now the sub 5051, before I add center (8030) and rears (6010), and ofcourse a prepro to run 5.1.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 301
  • image-2.jpg
    image-2.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 300
rohigupt
Thanks for posting the pics of your setup. I can understand that you are enjoying thoroughly. :)

According to me 5051 is too small for movies but for music, it may be just enough though it will run out of gas while trying to match the 8030s. According to me, it is more suited for 6010, 6020s

7050b is the normally recommended for 8030 in stereo setup and 7060b will be amazing for a HT setup for a fairly big room. Problem is the the bigger one is quite expensive (150k), almost double the price of 7050b :sad:

Yes Thad
Those came with the Genelecs though I am not sure if Rohigupt paid 'extra'.

They can be rotated 180' and also tilted slightly up and down.

Super Article;
Thanks for sharing..
Pandams exclusive Genelec demo room can be termed as one of the best demo rooms that we have seen in the country. The simplicity and transparency in the demo room with minimalist yet very effective acoustic treatment to the overall environment makes it so. So grab your reference CDs-DVDs-Blu rays and go audition.
All the Best !
:clapping:

Congrats Prashant.
Any news on the new M030/ M040?
When it will be available in your showroom?

:) We have just begun receiving the first production batches, so I will get some around mid this month. Will keep you posted moment they arrive :)

Back