LM Audio and a mini meet in Kolkata

Asit

Hi all,
This is a brief report of a mini meet we had in Pratim's place on 1 May 2013.

Members present: Pratim (pratimbayal), Vasu (myriad), Vasu's firend Krishnendu (has a system similar to Vasu's), Manoj (mksharan) and myself

Equipments: source - Ayon CD1, speakers - Tannoy Turnberrys with super tweeters (part of Pratim's system)

Amps:
1) Promitheus Audio TVC passive pre + Odyssey Kismet stereo (both belonging to Pratim)
2) Transcendent Sound tube pre + Odyssey Kismet stereo (Manoj bought the kit for this pre from http://www.transcendentsound.com/Transcendent/Home.html , Manoj also got the OTL tube power amp kit which soon will be ready for listening)
3) Line Magnetic Audio LM216IA integrated amp using 2 of 12AX7, 2 of 12BH7 and 4 of KT88 power tubes. The 12AX7 and 12BH7 were stock power tubes, but the KT88s were borrowed from Vasu's Ayon Spirit2 amp and they were the new release Gold Lions. This amp produces 18 wpc in the triode mode and 38 wpc in the ultra linear mode. We listened to the ultralinear mode. The speaker load is switchable between 4 and 8 Ohms. Pratim is currently considering this amp and that was the primary reason we gathered.
4) My Leben CS300 with Telefunken 12AX7 and Reflector EL84 equivalents (on special request from Pratim, because he wanted to compare the LM Audio amp with Leben in his system.

Prelude:
This was the 3rd time I brought my amp to Pratim's place. Last time Sangram and his friend was also there and we checked out Pratim's new Tuenberrys. That time the Kismet was primarily played with a DIY resistor based pre, but the Leben clearly did a better job - music was smoother and overall more enjoyable. Some time in between, I believe, Pratim also got Vasu's Spirit 2 amp and had them paired with his Turnberrys. Pratim is now convinced that those speakers are crying out for tube amplification, and hence the current meet.

Some time ago, when the LM Audio gears arrived at Vasu's place, Sangram, Pratim and Suman (Suman Jana, member smnjn, who has built those beautiful Scanspeak driver based speakers, look for his thread http://www.hifivision.com/diy/10883-scanspeak-rediscovery-tower-4.html) visited Vasu's place to have a first listen. At that time, the report on the LM-216IA amp (with stock tubes) was not very positive and the Spirit amp sounded much better in comparison. However, apparently the stock tubes are rather cheap chinese tubes, and in US for example these amps are marketed with better tubes. So the idea was to swap the Gold Lions from the Spirit amp and listen now with the Turnberrys.

Music listened to:
We made a routine of listening to more-or-less the same music portions on all amps -
1) "Keith don't go", by Nils Lofgren (this has beefed up bass especially on the guitar, music is very good though)
2) 1st song of the CD album "Lisa" (Lisa Kelly: prime member of the group Celtic women - probably the best female voice I have ever heard)
3) Chhandadhara CD album by Ravishankar - Raga Bairagi Tori (alap portion) and Gaud Sarang Tabla portion by Swapan Chaudhuri)
4) The piece by Koushiki Chakraborty from the music CD of the recent Bengali movie "Goynar Baksho"
5) And some assorted pieces

Obviously the choice of music was dominated by vocals, and melody. However, we were quite fussy on the tonality of all instruments present, especially the sitar and the tabla.

The sound:
1) Kismet played with the TVC pre produced muddy sound, with reduced highs than desired and floaty bass. In fact, I stuck my neck out and declared this in the middle of that part. We then adjusted the toe-ins a bit (it was too much both in Vasu's and my opinion), that cleared up the sound a bit, but still was far from satisfactory. Given the respect I have for Kismet, we blamed the TVC pre. Either the TVC is still not fully burnt in (people say these take 400 hours, and Pratim perhaps is not even halfway thru), or somehow the impedances are not matching, or the TVC is simply not working to their reputation for whatever other reason.

2) Kismet became more musical and clean with the absolutely new Transcendent Sound tube pre. The pre had at most a couple of hours on them and already one can see it's a good tube pre. There was more control on the bass, the highs opened up and the overall presentation became smooth and musical.

3) Then came the main attraction of the meet - LM 216IA. This is the first time I am hearing this amp, that too with the Tannoys. First thing I must say - it's a very musical amp with full of harmonic content - everything sounded so much in tune. The highs were to die for - there was a lot of thump in the bass and the mids smooth. It may not be the most neutral amp (being called a poor man's Shindo on the net by quite a few people), but there is a charming element to the sound it produces. It is reasonably clean too. However, one doubt kept lingering in my mind - the stock tubes were so bad that the amp did not stand a chance with the Spirit and just change of 4 power tubes to better ones makes such a whole lot of difference? What could have gone wrong with the audition of Sangram. Suman and Pratim? Well, I see 5 changes - the amp was not burnt in at all then, the tubes were stock tubes, the power cable was also a stock cable then, the amp was not placed under the magic hexa feet to reduce micro phonics, and they were paired up with Vasu's Usher Mini Dancers (the newer Diamond series). BTW, I personally like the new mini dancers more than the older ones (which Sangram has). Well, the bottom line is - I liked the amp, especially for the price it's a big VFM.

4) At the end, we tried the Leben CS300 for a very short time (the Leben needs at least an hour to properly warm up, is it because it's an auto-biasing amp? Experts please tell me). We did not have time for it to warm up. The same pieces were played but for shorter times. The immediate conclusion was that this is perhaps the cleanest amp, but a few things like the bass slam and the extension at the top and the mid range bloom was less than the LM amp. However, it seemed to have better control of the bass, albeit a bit less bass than LM.

Overall my impression of the 3 tube amps (Spirit2 which was not auditioned that day, Leben and LM Audio) is as follows: The Spirit is the most SS like, the LM is most tube like and the Leben is somewhere in between. All 3 are good and would pair well with a specific speaker. The LM 216IA is priced much lower currently than the Leben and the Spirit.

BTW, I am at the moment auditioning at home the LM CD player (LM-215CD).

Regards.

Last edited:
the line magnetic

wow

you were the first ones huh?
courtesy sridhar ?

im waiting to hear it myslef
maybe when sridhar send someting mumbai's way

Ali,
There is Harmonie Audio now in Kolkata and they are resellers of most things ARN Bangalore sells. In addition, they keep a few more brands. They also do have 2 nice listening rooms, one for HT and the other for 2-channel. I have already bought a Marantz M-CR603 a few months ago from them for my son to pair with his Lektor 2s. Good for us from the Kolkata region.

Regards.

i have to hear the Line magnetic now !

Even though they are 38 wpc in the ultralinear mode, just make sure you are hearing them with a high sensitivity, open sounding and dynamic speaker that can produce the desired harmonics, otherwise you will not do full justice to these sort of amps. My speakers and the Tannoy Turnberrys both satisfy the above criteria to be paired with good tube amps which usually come with a truckload of desirable harmonics and micro dynamics. However, my speakers are typical German, and hence cleaner, and the Tannoys are typically British which are not perhaps as clean or neutral but has an intoxicating nature to them.

Regards.

Last edited:
Dear Prosenjit,

It was not a meet in the sense members of the other cities like Chennai/Bangalore/Delhi/Mumbai/Pune/Hyderabad use it. In those meets, the date, venue and gears to be auditioned are 'publicly' announced (i.e. in forums of this sort). Interested people then attend. We have not had any of that sort in Kolkata yet, at least not that I know of. There is no dearth of music lovers and gear lovers in Kolkata, so we can hold one if there is enough interest. A few young energetic people with organizational skills and having some knowledge of audio have to organize such a meet.

However, I could not resist calling it a mini meet. These mini meets have taken place at our homes quite a few times involving only a few people mentioned in my beginning post.

I can PM you my cell no. and you can be in touch too if you are interested. In any case, you can always visit my place or Pratim's place or anybody's place to have a listen.

Regards.

I have recently shifted here from Hyderabad ...I had the pleasure of attending the first Hyd HFV meet last year ......Just missed it this year as I had shifted here ...Would love to meet fellow music lovers here .....

Anand

Hi Asit,
A very nicely written review with some interesting comparisions and perspectives.

2) Transcendent Sound tube pre + Odyssey Kismet stereo (Manoj bought the kit for this pre from http://www.transcendentsound.com/Transcendent/Home.html , Manoj also got the OTL tube power amp kit which soon will be ready for listening)

Just a quick question regarding the transcendent pre - is this the grounded grid pre from transcendent?

Thanks,
APK

Thank you all for your encouraging responses.

@stereorules: You are very welcome to come to my place. Just send me a PM whenever you wish to meet me and weshall find a mutually convenient time.

Just a quick question regarding the transcendent pre - is this the grounded grid pre from transcendent?

I think it is indeed the grounded grid pre (whatever that means) as in their site:
http://www.transcendentsound.com/Transcendent/Transcendent_Sound_Grounded_Grid_Preamp.html

Manoj told me he had paid USD 500 for the kit, so the price matches.

Regards.

Last edited:
Dear Prosenjit,

It was not a meet in the sense members of the other cities like Chennai/Bangalore/Delhi/Mumbai/Pune/Hyderabad use it. In those meets, the date, venue and gears to be auditioned are 'publicly' announced (i.e. in forums of this sort). Interested people then attend. We have not had any of that sort in Kolkata yet, at least not that I know of. There is no dearth of music lovers and gear lovers in Kolkata, so we can hold one if there is enough interest. A few young energetic people with organizational skills and having some knowledge of audio have to organize such a meet.

However, I could not resist calling it a mini meet. These mini meets have taken place at our homes quite a few times involving only a few people mentioned in my beginning post.

I can PM you my cell no. and you can be in touch too if you are interested. In any case, you can always visit my place or Pratim's place or anybody's place to have a listen.

Regards.

thank you sir,
I will pm you my number.

Asit,

I have read that the LM2161A comes with built in Adjustable Bias.
Did you have a chance to play with that and did it make any difference to the sound?

Thanks for an excellent review. I must say you had some nice electronics to audition.

Regards.

I have read that the LM2161A comes with built in Adjustable Bias.
Did you have a chance to play with that and did it make any difference to the sound?

As far as I know, the bias can be manually set and there is a meter on the front top side of the cabinet for help. I did not do anything with that. You will have to ask Pratim, Vasu or Sridhar (odyssey) if they experimented with that.

Regards.

PS: I am keeping the CD player LM 215CD. I will give my impressions on it whenever I find some time. So now I have 4 devices at home to play a CD: 1) LM-215CD, 2) CA 740c (upsampling to 24/384, can also act as a DAC), 3) 24 year old Denon DCD 980 (recapped and new lens), 4) Marantz M-CR603 which can play CD. All are in perfect working condition. In addition, I have a cheap BD player Sony 380 (which can act as a reasonable transport especially if made heavier) and also a cheap upscaling DVD player from Sony (model forgotten) :D. I only have two sets of speakers, otherwise I could have set up a system system in each room of our apartment:sad:

While we did not experiment with changing the bias, I assume that the sound will change with the bias settings. This should be nothing unique with this amp and the behavior is similar across other tube amps as well.

cheers

Great review Asit. Just the other day I was having this long chat on PM with Pratim. More power to tubes ! I have been hearing great things about the LM amp. How much do these golden lion tubes cost ?

I have been hearing great things about the LM amp. How much do these golden lion tubes cost ?

Well, the CD player is good too. I shall write about it in a day or two.

Any decent KT88 tube is not cheap. On the usual online shops the Gold Lion new release KT88s are around USD220 for a matched quad (which is the requirement of this amp). The Psvane T series KT88s (premium tubes) cost over USD400 for a matched quad. However, changing to better tubes is worth it. I have suggested to Pratim a change of the pre tubes as well (12AX7 and 12BH7). Usually the sonics become a lot cleaner if the pre tubes are changed. I will also myself roll the 12AU7 tube in the CDP for a better one.

Regards.

JJ Tesla KT 88s are also a good option.

George, I suppose you do not mean the NOS Teslas, you mean the new issue JJs. Yes, according to reports on the net (I do not have direct experience), most new issue JJ power tubes are very decent sounding. However, there have also been quality issues, for example with JJ EL84s. Very recently, I came to know there have been reliability issues even with the very expensive Psvane KT88 T series. I believe, very recently (since 15 April or 1 May) they have corrected the issue and even have a notification on their website that Grant Fidelity of Canada (their main dealer and shipper for North America and Europe) has replaced all the old KT88 tubes with new ones.

Regards.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back