Logitech Harmony - Elite

Smo

Hi Guys, I am having smart home devices viz, Tata Sky, Smart TV, Smart bulbs, Yamaha AVR ( for music & 7.1 movies ) motorized Curtain, Alexa, Apple TV etc just to name a few.
For all these stuff I am using different set of remotes (Apart from iPhone Apps) which is very cumbersome to use at times.
I am planning to upgrade to universal remote Viz. Logitech harmony Elite. If any member currently using it & Can help me in suggesting if it truly works as universal remote & also if Yamaha AVR, Tata Sky works with Alexa thru Harmony Elite.
Thanks !

If you can extend your budget a little, my suggestion is to go for Harmony hub so that you can voice control many things

Make sure you don't have any devices controlled by RF remote. It will only support IR (good DB of devices, if not almost anything can be learnt.)and some Bluetooth controlled devices. You might need to use hub and the IR extender if all the devices are spread away. Your equipments might be in a rack, IR switchboard somewhere else and the curtain IR receiver etc.,
I use a Harmony companion with hub which controls Denon avr, Nvidia shield, pioneer BD player, Airtel STB(moved from Videocon, as they have only RF remotes) inside a rack. The extender place outside the rack controls by IR switch box( got from eBay) in opposite wall, and RGB LED strip lights having receiver in the ceiling.
The coolest thing is you can setup the activities and have custom functions from many devices for a particular button during an activity. For eg when you pause Movie activity you can switch on you lights through the IR switchboard etc.,

I am not sure about Alexa etc., I have not tested, but it says the latest products are supporting

hi.
did anyone tried using airtel dth universal remote to control the avr ?
Technically it should work as both are IR based, but not sure how many keys can be programmed in airtel remote.

Hi Guys, I am having smart home devices viz, Tata Sky, Smart TV, Smart bulbs, Yamaha AVR ( for music & 7.1 movies ) motorized Curtain, Alexa, Apple TV etc just to name a few.
For all these stuff I am using different set of remotes (Apart from iPhone Apps) which is very cumbersome to use at times.
I am planning to upgrade to universal remote Viz. Logitech harmony Elite. If any member currently using it & Can help me in suggesting if it truly works as universal remote & also if Yamaha AVR, Tata Sky works with Alexa thru Harmony Elite.
Thanks !
Hi I am using Logitech Harmony elite with hub from last 2 years and frankly this is the best investment ever to make your life easy and getting rid of multiple remotes, I got rid of 4 remotes including VU TV, Marantz AVR, Nvidia Sheild, Videocon D2H and it works really great, you can program any function to it, in start it may feel cumbersome but once your start using it, you cannot go back to normal remote.

also Alexa does not work if your country is listed as India in Amazon app.
that is alexa does not have logitech harmony skill for India.

you can use another skill name as Yonomi with alexa and logitech harmony but it has limited functionality.

I have tried to use Yonomi and it does work, but it is more of a fad. After a couple of days went back to button press rather than spoken commands. A lot more intuitive and easier.

Seems India prices are exorbitant starting from ₹ 39k-56K
So I am getting pre Used from eBay.com @ ₹ 15-18K, though I am not sure how much customs on used Electronics.

I bought from Amazon.com and got it for $427 including shipping and duty so around Rs30000/- 2 years back

Hi I am using Logitech Harmony elite with hub from last 2 years and frankly this is the best investment ever to make your life easy and getting rid of multiple remotes, I got rid of 4 remotes including VU TV, Marantz AVR, Nvidia Sheild, Videocon D2H and it works really great, you can program any function to it, in start it may feel cumbersome but once your start using it, you cannot go back to normal remote.

I'd fully agree. I travel mostly for work..and have a pretty complicated HT setup at home. I use external integrated amps for pure music. And pre outs from AVR through the same amps for HT duties. Despite the long chain of source components and electronics, which are different for movies and music, it was so easy programming everything to start with . And even my 10 year old daughter operates everything today, through the touch of a single command on the touch screen. And its amazing how everthing in the chain just falls into place. Though they are very different chains for movies and music. It's a real blessing and has at least condemned 9 different remotes to the attic. Can't recommend it enough:)

Thanks !

I use a couple of harmony hubs - I tested the elite but it's practically the same product with a significant markup
One hubs is used for controlling the primary TV/AVR/streamer while the other is setup for bedroom TV and AC
Both work both via remote and voice - convenient especially for bedroom where I can switch the aircon to the desired temperature without having to hunt for the remote in the middle of the night!

also Alexa does not work if your country is listed as India in Amazon app.
that is alexa does not have logitech harmony skill for India.
If you are familiar with linux and are OK spending a few hours for setting up something- look up habridge on github
I have been using it for a few years now and it actually works better than the alexa harmony skill

@newlash09, @manav24, @Th!ru
Did you guys consider the home automation route?
Products like Hogar or Fibaro?
Both of these have app and controller based automation and seem to be getting quite popular in India.

Hi nature lover :)

I did consider some level of integration when I started out with my HT project. But soon lost interest. The harmony system does have expandability with Philips hue lighting and some other system that I can't immediately recall the name of. But in the end I decided to keep it simple, so there will be less things to go wrong, as Iam mostly traveling and wanted it to be easy and fool proof for my family once set up. That said even adding lighting and thermostat controls could still have been reliable. But didn't try it...and now that novelty factor is long gone, so not experimenting with it anymore.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back