Look for the SPARS code while buying old CDs

• Thread starter Deleted member 15865
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15865

Yesterday an old CD reseller pointed out to me that CDs marked DDD are the best. I researched today and found out that it is the SPARS code.

The three letters denote in which form the CD was recorded, mixed and mastered respectively - analog (A) or digital (D). Of course DDD means all three stages were done digitally and would sound the best when player back on a CD player. The next best would be DAD. Today I was listening to a DDD CD of Devaki Pandit and noticed how smooth and clear the sound is. In short, DDD>DAD/ADD>AAD. Any conjectures in which out of DAD/ADD would be better? I’d imagine DAD as the recoding is digital. But then digital mixing was costlier (hence prohibitive for the labels back then) than digital recording, so perhaps ADD better than DAD.

Remember, Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits was one of the first CDs (first was one by Ry Cooder, another favourite of mine) in a DDD format. So, you could now look for this small code on the case as well as the CD itself. I guess today most new recordings would be DDD. But this will help when you buy anything that was made from the 70s to the 00s.

Any further dope or experience on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Further, won’t it make sense to have a similar code for vinyls these days? You’d want a AAA vinyl, all there stages analogue. Most cheaper vinyls are DDA, digital recordings and mixing pressed on vinyl.

I am not sure of that Sachin. the way CDs are manufactures the best CDs are those with a combination of . I dont think the SPARS code is mandated as many of my CDs dont have it. i used to find it more useful to go by the catalogue numbers and then try to find out thebest pressing
1. which are pressed well ( usually Japan, UK,Germany and US)
2. which are pressed from a good master ( depends on the album but US , germany and UK were usually good..japan were sharper sounding)

There are also criterion like the Mother it was made from..apparently each "father" master was made into 4 mothers and the first mother pressings are the best..but its ages ago that i stopped buying CDs so not sure i remember.

I am not sure of that Sachin. the way CDs are manufactures the best CDs are those with a combination of . I dont think the SPARS code is mandated as many of my CDs dont have it. i used to find it more useful to go by the catalogue numbers and then try to find out thebest pressing
1. which are pressed well ( usually Japan, UK,Germany and US)
2. which are pressed from a good master ( depends on the album but US , germany and UK were usually good..japan were sharper sounding)

There are also criterion like the Mother it was made from..apparently each "father" master was made into 4 mothers and the first mother pressings are the best..but its ages ago that i stopped buying CDs so not sure i remember.

Arj, I am not saying the SPARS code is the only determinant of quality. But given other things equal, it is an important determinant. Most of the CDs in my diverse collection don’t have SPARS code mentioned. And just like you, I agree the country of origin and label makes a difference to the quality.

All I am saying is, when you see DDD on a CD, it’s worth a second look, or a listen. And my experience in the matter has been positive.

once upon a time, DDD meant something. Now it could just mean someone recorded it on a home studio in a laptop, mixed and mastered it there.
I at least have one very recent DDD CD which sounds like that !

once upon a time, DDD meant something. Now it could just mean someone recorded it on a home studio in a laptop, mixed and mastered it there.
I at least have one very recent DDD CD which sounds like that !

Agree. Hence it’s useful in purchasing CDs (esp old) made in 90s and 00s.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back