Looking for a home theatre setup within 75-80k

pm123

I have auditioned 2 different setups:

1) Denon 1910 with Polk audio OWM 3.WALL MOUNT for fron and surround, CS10. center speaker and PSW 110 Sub-> Total cost after discount around 85k
from ProFx

2)Onkyo SR-606 with Jamo speakers for 98

want suggestions which system should i opt for. My budget is approx 80k. I also have to demo a denon av with q acoustics speakers within a day or two.

cheers.

Piyush.

The Jamos hopefully are not satellite speakers. If not, then that would be a better choice. Bookshelves or floorstanders can do a lot of things better when it comes to music as compared to satellites.

1) Denon 1910 with Polk audio OWM 3.WALL MOUNT for fron and surround, CS10. center speaker and PSW 110 Sub-> Total cost after discount around 85k
from ProFx

want suggestions which system should i opt for. My budget is approx 80k. I also have to demo a denon av with q acoustics speakers within a day or two.

cheers.

Piyush.

The denon 1909 is more musical than the Onkyo 606.

FS/BS are better than satellites - if 2 channel sound is a prerogative try the denon with wharfdale diamond package. (BS+ SS+Sub)

from ProFx

cheers.

Piyush.

Hi Piyush,

whats your room size? whats your listening taste? whats the split between music and movies? you prefer BS or FS?

Yamaha 663 with Q acoustics 5.1 [around 80 K] would be very good in this budget.

Thanks,
Prakash

Hi piyush,
Greetings. The Denon 1910 is a very good Avr but I feel the Polk owm3 doesn't do justice to the capabilities of 1910.
I think for the price you can get better bookshelf + sub combo speakers than owm3 I think. The Q-Acoustics 1010i package are very good and should go very well along with the Denon. Our member Moserw has done a few setup for his friends with the 1010i package(Yamaha+QA1010i) and he has given very positive reviews for the same.The QA 1010i package is an What Hifi award winner.Similarly a Wharfedale (9.1) package can also be had within your price it think.There are various threads discussing it, please use the search option.
If your priority is an all rounder ie good for Music and Movies the Denon is it.
For Movies Onkyo and Yamaha is preferred.

One more thing when you audition the Denon do checkout the Polk RTi series (Bookshelf's/Towers) also.And tell us how you feel about it.

All the best,
Regards
Sam

Room size = 10'x10' around 100 sq. ft
Listening taste = mainly movies(english action)
since the room size is small, BS will fit better in the room

The problem i am facing is where i get yamaha, they don't keep Q Acoustics so not possible to listen to them together. Also don't know where Q acoustics is available in Kolkata. Wharfdale is also available at a different place; so cannot have a demo of yamaha/onkyo with wharfs. Pls suggest because i have to finalize my setup asap because my apartment is almost ready and then internal wiring will be difficult.

Thanks
Piyush.

Hi Piyush,

Where are you located?

Q-Acoustics is rated high. 663 too is a very good receiver. Moserw has setup 2 installation using his combination. why don't you ping him and ask for his feedback.

Thanks,
Prakash.

then you can divide you purchase in 2 stages.

get the AVR fisrt.

then take your AVR for speaker audition and buy which one you like.

with yamaha 663 you can't go wrong.

Thanks,
Prakash.

with yamaha 663 i am getting a quote for 48k. is it ok? denon 1910 for 45k and onkyo 606 for 40k.

Piyush

48K for yamah 663 is way high. i got it for 37.5 from xcite, blore.

In Mumbai i heard you can get the same for 32k. So try finding the right place and start bargaining. Onkyo 606 is also good, but in terms of surround sound 663 is a winner.

48K for yamah 663 is way high. i got it for 37.5 from xcite, blore.

In Mumbai i heard you can get the same for 32k. So try finding the right place and start bargaining. Onkyo 606 is also good, but in terms of surround sound 663 is a winner.

okay i am a big fan of yamaha 863 though 663 falls short of expectations when compared to the onkyo. Though 663 is better in 2 channel audio quality over the 606 onkyo - in surround mode i.e. in movies 606 beats the 663 anyday. In fact i directly compared the 606, 663, 1909 when I was making my purchase. The 606 was more dynamic.

If some one wants a all roudn solution for movies and music - 663 is the way to go - if two setups one for audio and one for video is required then 606 is my hoice for movies.

BTW 663 does not upscale to 720p (in fact just HDMI passthrough and clips white and black at the highest levels)

onkyo 606 i am getting for 40k. what is your suggestion for speakers to match. i cannot go for large speakers as my room is small. yamaha i am not getting in kolkata for less than 48k. my total buget is around 80 to 85k

piyush.

onkyo 606 i am getting for 40k. what is your suggestion for speakers to match. i cannot go for large speakers as my room is small. yamaha i am not getting in kolkata for less than 48k. my total buget is around 80 to 85k

piyush.

onkyo was going for around 30k in the beginning of 2009. the customers are now ripped off :(

then take your AVR for speaker audition and buy which one you like.

If the Yamaha dealer is nice, borrow one of his sales guys and the demo unit, and take them to the speaker shop for a demo.

Cheers

Last edited:
Finally able to get the yamaha delaer down to 39k for 663. However, which speakers should i go for considering i can't have fs and have to go for bs only(since my room is small). A lot of people in this form suggests for Q Acoustics 1010i package but unfortunately it is not available in Kolkata.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back