Looking for a purely wireless 5.1 surround set up for my TV

superSUB

Hi,

I am looking to supplement my Sony TV speakers with something that would make the movie-watching experience richer. I find the stock TV speakers inadequate and am hardly able to comprehend dialogues. Hence my search for a soundbox started.

As i have recently redone my living room, there is no scope to redo the walls to hide the wiring, thus my requirement for a wireless setup.

As it was the only one readily available in India, I was keen on the Philips Fidelio after reading online reveiws, but was disappointed upon actually listening to the output in the store. I have been researching further and understand that the SONOS Playbar with Subwoofer and 2*Play:1/ Play:3 setup is also possible. Though, I am still to physically experience the output. I intend to experience/ purchase it when im in the US next month. It is also going to be an expensive purchase, the whole setup is going to cost me $1800 in the US.

Im writing to you to check if anyone has prior experience with SONOS/ any alternate options available for my requirement.

It would help me finalise my decision.

Cheers
Suket.

As i have recently redone my living room, there is no scope to redo the walls to hide the wiring, thus my requirement for a wireless setup.

There is one from Klipsch 5.1 wireless system.. https://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-premiere-hd-wireless-5-1-system

Heard them once in AV Expo, Chennai few years back.. They were good..

any alternate options available for my requirement.

A sound bar (Yamaha YSP series) could be an alternative (or) if you don't want wires running around you, and can manage a 5.1 (front only system, without surrounds), that is also an option..

While the hardware seems top notch, my main concern with SONOS is that it doesnot support HDMI in... only has Optical in. Also no bluetooth connectivity. Limits connectivity options.

While Polk offers chromecast compatibility as well with multiple HDMI ports (at 1/3rd the price) :rolleyes:

Thanks for the suggestion, would check this out... Another option i came across was the Polk Magnifi Max SR...has mixed reviews online... any views on the Polk... how does it compare with SONOS?

Current shortlist include: Polk (USD600) / SONOS (USD 1800)/ Klipsch (USD 2600++)

No idea on the Polk Magnifi.. The Klipsch have some customized options i believe.. You can choose BS instead of FS and the price also should be less..

Cinebels are the dealers for Klipsch in India.. I would suggest approaching them once for a rough estimate.. Since these involve considerable budget, they might be willing to do it for better price..

Cinebels are the dealers for Klipsch in India.. I would suggest approaching them once for a rough estimate.. Since these involve considerable budget, they might be willing to do it for better price..
Will approach them over the weekend. Thanks.

I have auditioned POLK Magnifi Max SR in last month . Also auditioned one of the Yamaha soundbar/ Sub system. To my audition Polk Magnifi soundbar is one of the best sounding soundbar system available today with wireless speakers. Most of the features are sufficient for day to day casual listening. It has seven speakers in bar which work as LCR speakers. It was sounding better than Yamaha. Movie watching was delightful with chrisp and clear surround sound and deep and powerful bass. It has three HDMI input which are sufficient. But It can decode only DD & DTS sound track no HD soundtrack. Just get it confirm and audition before purchase.

But It can decode only DD & DTS sound track no HD soundtrack. Just get it confirm and audition before purchase.

Polk remains my top preference as well. Im just confused between this and SONOS. Will verify docode capabilities when i audition it. Thanks.

Checked out their Gurgaon store. The staff wasnt helpful at all. Did not have the Premier Wireless system on display. Told me id have to order without audition. Estimate 6 Lac for a 5.1 setup o_O

Please do factor in that all wireless speakers need a power supply. They are wireless only for speaker cables.
I understand that the wireless speakers would need power supply, unless i go for the Philips Fidelio.
Ideally i would have preferred the Fidelio type setup with rechargable speakers, however didnt quite like the Fidelio output, so making a compromise with SONOS/ POLK type part wired setup.

If you have a symmetrical room, a soundbar would be worth considering. Or, maybe, just a 2.1 setup.
You might want to check out soundbars from Dali, Yamaha, etc

My room is large L- shaped (21 ft * 24 ft) which has 5 open door/ glass window provisions on the TV facing walls. Not ideal for a home theater setup i suppose. This is probably the reason i get muffled/ echo-ish output from my TV speakers currently.

Last edited:
I have auditioned it in Dubai a month ago and was priced for 3000 AED (55K INR). May be available with ProFx or Online.

I have auditioned it in Dubai a month ago and was priced for 3000 AED (55K INR). May be available with ProFx or Online.
Its available in the US for $550 (40K INR). Looks like a bargain. Hope to audition it before flying there next month. Will check locally this weekend.

I have been looking to audition the Polk MagniFi Max SR in NCR but strangely none of the dealers i contacted seem to have it available (Even ProFX). Would anyone be able to recommend dealers in NCR who stock Polk Audio?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back